my son Sam had to top my snake story with what he had roaming around his place. They didn't kill it, even with a shovel.

this thing was walking around the front yard when he got home, their back yard is next to Eglin AFB and they get these way more than I'd want to see.

post-26137-0-06462300-1407156075_thumb.jpg

That's a big dog.

Literally word for word exactly what I was about to post, dammit.

That's funny,

We had a cougar hanging around the place a few years back.

My wife's idiot sister saw it in the back yard one day and called my wife over to the window to look at the strange looking "dog" outside.

Doc,

Hope that nice looking teddy gives your boy nothing but some good pictures. They sure can be a nuisance sometimes.

when they show up you're kind of stuck, if you shoot one you better have Jesus as a witness that it had to be shot.

Son's dog not going to impress one.

It is kind of scary that this is in a residential area with a lot of kids, someone could walk out the door and be in ones face before they knew what was going on.

I live out in the sticks and I've yet to see one at my place.

post-26137-0-32598400-1407172065_thumb.jpg

when they show up you're kind of stuck, if you shoot one you better have Jesus as a witness that it had to be shot.

I live out in the sticks and I've yet to see one at my place.

If you live like me and you have to shoot one, whatever it is, you just dispose of it and don't say a damned word to anyone.

• Like 2

Shoot that fucker if he or she is going or the trash. A habit that they will never break and will only evolve into home invasions for easy food sources.

If you really like that child killer around your neighborhood, put a can of lysol disinfectant spray inside a wool sock, cover it with bacon grease and leave it on top of the garbage can. They will bite into the snickers bar and it will skull fuck their HUGE olfactory sensors. Their nose and mouth will be inflamed for days and the smell will always be remembered, they will shit for days, get sick and will never come near that smell again. Once they take the bait, spray your garbage cans with lysol, same flavor and put it around your home in key locations that you don't want bears near by.

This is one easy way to do it without killing them. Now that I have kids, I just shoot them and call the ranger.

• Like 2

The biggest Black Bear I've ever seen own here in FL/AL, was standing on the side of a road in Eglin AFB, just North of Niceville.

Male bear, he was every bit of 300# and 4' at the shoulder. That is BIG down here, they get much bigger in Yankee land.

Stupid people were getting out of their cars to take pics, with their kids even... So cute...  Yeah, till it decides to taste test you.

I see people do the same with gators at the battleship Alabama, ignore the posted danger signs to get a better pic.

"Hey Asshole!, that gator will eat you given half a chance."

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 2

Only time I've seen black bears, they've run like hell. I've seen several in Colorado, and they didn't want a damned thing to do with people - get within 100 yards and they're the fuck out of there.

There are very, very few in Nebraska and at one point were declared extinct inside the state. There are occasional sightings - I'm thinking what few are here survive by avoiding people. Nebraskans have a lot of guns and a lot of livestock to protect. Only dangerous wildlife you're likely to see hiking in the Nebraska wild are occasional mountain lions and bobcats, and even more rarely, rattlesnakes. Though I guess you could run into an elk some places, and if you piss one of those guys off you could have a pretty bad day.

• Like 1

Rattlers, copperheads, and bears galore here. Funny what Doc said, i saw more bears when i lived just on the city limits (like every other week) than i see now in the country (zero as of yet). Hope it stays that way too.

One time back then there was one by the trash cans and i hadnt noticed it as i went to my truck for a pack of smokes. Once inside i saw it stand up and look at me, then the garbage can. I shut the truck door and decided I'd scare it by turning the trucks lights on. It stood its ground. Then i turned the ignition and revved the engine and it dropped to all fours but didnt leave. It was only when i put the truck in drive (it was dead ahead of my truck) when it slowly ambled off.

Black bears will usually run unless it's momma with cubs, and then takes a hell of a lot to provoke her.  They do go in town occasionally here.  First time, they are sedated, tagged, then relocated.  If they return, it's a death sentence.

Stryker, I've heard of a few in my area having success with grizzlies and the "Lysol candy bar". 

Grizzlies on the other hand......they think you are crunchy and good with ketchup.  haha.gif

Edited by Lone Eagle
  • Like 1

Rattlers, copperheads, and bears galore here. Funny what Doc said, i saw more bears when i lived just on the city limits (like every other week) than i see now in the country (zero as of yet). Hope it stays that way too.

One time back then there was one by the trash cans and i hadnt noticed it as i went to my truck for a pack of smokes. Once inside i saw it stand up and look at me, then the garbage can. I shut the truck door and decided I'd scare it by turning the trucks lights on. It stood its ground. Then i turned the ignition and revved the engine and it dropped to all fours but didnt leave. It was only when i put the truck in drive (it was dead ahead of my truck) when it slowly ambled off.

Food's easy to forage in cities. Bears are foragers as much or more than they are hunters. Think of them as really big, clumsy raccoons.

• Like 1

Lol shand, I'm very aware of their habits.. good comparison though. All the raccoons ive ever dealt with personally though have been total rat bastards! Mean lil shits when you get em in a live trap!

ETA: that, and they are two of the few species that are flourishing in the suburbs.

Edited by LuPiN8oR
  • Like 1

I sort of wish black bears were more common in NE. They tend not to harass livestock too badly, and when bears are around, it seems like coyotes often aren't.

I've always sort of liked raccoons. There's a colony that lives around the Nebraska side of a bridge across the Missouri River into Iowa from Bellevue, NE - it's a toll bridge, and people often feed them when they stop to pay the toll - so they're pretty chill with people. Every spring, there are babies, and they're usually pretty fearless. The adults will usually grab food you set down then sit at least a few feet away to eat it - the babies don't give a shit, they'll climb all over you if you let them.

So, Doc - how common are black bears in FL?

• Like 1

Florida Black Bears are limited to a relative few areas in FL.

The Chassahowtizka National Wildife Refuge, Apalachicola National Forest, Osceola National Forest, Ocala National Forest, St. Johns River Basin, Highlands Hammock State Park, and Big Cypress National Preserve & Eglin AFB.

There are an estimated 3500-4500 Black Bears in FL.

They're much rarer here in AL, limited to the South, approx 50 bears in the wild.

Edited by ChileRelleno

I came around the corner of the deer shack with my moped to find 2 cubs on the porch.   Dropped the bike and ran for the door!  Everyone inside had their guns pointed at the door.  Mom hit the door about 3 seconds later.  They then destroyed the metal cooler on the porch and spread it all over the yard for the next 2 hours before leaving.  Had to go food/cooler shopping that night!

Saw them a few days later while going down the road to the falls.  Mom stood up in the middle of the road, and then the cubs crossed, and then she beat it into the bush.

Darn things are adorable.

But then I bet they taste good too.    :)

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals

You can eatem but I don't care for em. Kinda greasy and stringy and tough...it's not terrible, if u soak the meat in milk overnight, in a stew or something like that....IMO. PITA to skin, you will have to stop at least once and sharpen a good knife. When I used to guide for black bear after dark we would take the hunters to the town dump and watch the biologist tranquilizer the trespassers and haul them off to be relocated...LOL

On a t-shirt I saw in WY:

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Except bears. Bears will kill you.

;)

They say that when you're traveling in known bear country, to wear bells on your shoes and carry bear spray.

The easiest way to tell what kind of bears are in the area, is to examine their droppings.

Black bear "scat" will have berries and leaves in it.

Grizzly bear scat will have little bells in it and smell like peppers.

:D

• Like 3

From my one experience eating black bear, i can't recommend it. I am sure there are better cuts but what i was given to try was god awful. Greasy as hell, we cut a 2in layer of fat off of it, stringy, and my wife bitched about the smell it left in the house for weeks. The dogs didn't mind it one bit though!

Where the son lives as can be seen in the photo they have lid locks on the trash cans and most of the houses have fences, these things haven't stopped the bears. The bears don't just go in the backyard next to Eglin they go around to the front and wander down the row of houses like a door to door salesman. The people living there take it pretty much in stride because it's a regular event and no ones been hurt yet, but the yet part is kind of scary to me. A mama bear and a cub running into someone or some overly confident going to pet the bear dumbass could change that.

I killed a 2nd rattlesnake in the dog yard yesterday (about a week apart now) so I don't know who's got it worse for problematic visitors me or the son.

Guess in a way he has it worse, something shows up at my house in the sticks I can kill it and bury it, he has to pretty much just grin and bear it in town.

Edited by the 4th Doctor

I don't hunt bears as they taste like shit unless you prep them for hours and cook them at exactly the right temperature which I can't seem to figure out. They are greasy and stringy. I have no use for the fur and my dogs don't eat bear bones for some reason.

There are two very distinct types of bears.

Wild bears of all types, black, brown, grizzly, kodiak, polar etc... These bears will want to get the hell away from a predator like you with the eyes facing forward. They may bluff you if they have cubs or are an alpha male in the wild. They are easy to avoid and will cause you the least harm. They can be managed and are hard to find.

City sucking bears. Not unlike Californians. They have been rewarded with human food and it is forever hard wired into their heads. They never unlearn this habit and it will eventually be the death of them. They are not afraid of humans, they can be seen by multiple predators and will not leave an area. Their dependence upon the human system increases as they age and have less and less ability to care for themselves. They will start with someone's garbage can that was carelessly left open or unsecured. Then, they teach their cubs to do the same. Eventually, they get hungry on a day that the garbage is not out and will tear into a car, tent, home, business etc. Only when they do thousands of dollars worth of damage or hurt someone do they get killed in liberal towns or villages. In rural areas, A FED BEAR IS A DEAD BEAR.

Old timers in Montana apply the 3S rule. Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up.

• Like 1

Darn things are adorable.

But then I bet they taste good too.    smile.png

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals

You can eatem but I don't care for em. Kinda greasy and stringy and tough...it's not terrible, if u soak the meat in milk overnight, in a stew or something like that....IMO. PITA to skin, you will have to stop at least once and sharpen a good knife. When I used to guide for black bear after dark we would take the hunters to the town dump and watch the biologist tranquilizer the trespassers and haul them off to be relocated...LOL

Never ate bear meat, but I believe you.

Had gator and ostrich though.... not bad.