Build #2. and this one will be...

So #1 went to my business partner.. conversion pics and final pic in 762x39 VEPR section (by accident)..

Heres #2 starting up..

saigastart.jpg

CSS trigger conversion kit.. MagPul AK Grip, Gas Tube, CSS Lower Retainer and more goodies in route..

Stay tuned for basic play-play pics of the chopping of the 'plate' and such...

• Like 1

First up this time.. the round trunnion bullet guide.. the only problem I had was the supplied CSS kit had a TAP that kept slipping inside my TAP handle.. luckily I had another 6-32 TAP from Lowes... (I broke the supplied tap due to slippage and twisting).

I also noticed on the last 2 round trunnion kits I got from CSS the supplied button head allen screw kept hitting the bolt.. and had to be dremeled flat to clear and work properly..

Without dremel I would have to MORTAR the round OUT of the gun..  :(  All fixed and locktighted in now though..

roundbguide.jpg

I had the same issue with the Tapco 10 rounders.  After I trimmed the mag catch, Saiga an surplus worked fine, but the Tapcos were too tight.  I filed a little off the bottom of the Tapco locking lug.  Works great now.

Heres the NOS wood handguards from Apex with 1 coat of Formby's 'Tung Oil'...

apexwood.jpg

Heres the 'Conversion' process..  1st remove the stock with the 3 screws..

Then remove the hammer by tying back hammer springs around the neck.. and remove the retainer wire..

IMG_20140806_185119.jpg

You should have the funky factory trigger and rocker still in it..

Next drill out the pins that hold that.. 3/16" drill bit and go slow.. your just taking off the flares..

IMG_20140806_190202.jpg

Dremel or chisel off the 1st rivet (most rearward)..

IMG_20140806_191844.jpg

I managed to get the metal to pop off around rivet #2..

IMG_20140806_192316.jpg

Try not to stab yourself with screwdriver or other sharp objects.. Heres a small piece of metal on rivet #3..

IMG_20140806_192524.jpg

And off comes the little metal..

IMG_20140806_192620.jpg

Side view showing rivet heads.. easy for dremel and cutoff wheel.. wear eye protection..

IMG_20140806_192625.jpg

A little dremel-fu.. and small punch.. and rivets are out..

IMG_20140806_193041.jpg

Taped off for paint.. your prep style may vary.. remove all factory oils..

IMG_20140806_193350.jpg

Some quick flat black (all I got)

IMG_20140806_193631.jpg

CSS parts are at the post office.. stay tuned for the 're-build'/'conversion' portion.

ETA ** Found Duplicolor DE 1634 at NAPA this AM..  :)

Edited by YWHIC

All parts came in.. only 2 small issues.. the CSS gas tube needed fitting..

The lower HG retainer from CSS doesn't like the lower HG spring clip (should I remove the clip off the HG??), as it puts ALOT of forward pressure on the retainer..

Overall looks awesome IMO..

folded.jpg

open.jpg

hguard.jpg

Like I said tiny gap in the front of the lower HG because of the spring clip... should I cut it out or leave it??

I got the Damage Ind Brake/Comp on today.. used a good pipe cutter and got on it..

cutting.jpg

Then with it off.. only got about 1/2" due to cutter width..

cutoff.jpg

Then took my 14Lx1 DIE/TAT and got that done.. (was a PITA by myself holding between legs.. LoL)

Got the comp/brake 'timed' by using 2 good flat blade screw drivers and a 14mm/9/16" crush washer I ordered from CSS with my part pkg last week..

Wasn't easy as I was just over 1/2 turn shy of index... but I got it.. ain't going no where..  :)

beforepaint.jpg

And after hitting the area with the Engine Ceramic DE1634 (not the comp or the crush washer..just the area the wheels made a mark on and the FSB face abit)..   cool.png

afterpaint.jpg

I feel vindicated on this build...

Edited by YWHIC