Vepr 12 Competition Magwell Install

I am trying to get this metal competition magwell installed on my Vepr 12 and have two issues. First, since the competition magwell has the flared edges it doesn't allow you to the nut with the spanner style screwdriver tip.  The nut is also round so no way to really get a good bite on it with scarring it up with vice grips or something.  My plan is to buy a regular hex nut to go on the factory bolt so I can use a regular wrench.  Problem is I don't know what the thread size and pitch is for the factory magwell bolt.  Anyone help me with this installation?

post-43556-0-57572000-1407286567_thumb.jpg

post-43556-0-48956700-1407286588_thumb.jpg

My flared magwell just showed up yesterday so I haven't installed it yet but what I plan on doing is making my own removal tool by cutting a notch into an offset screwdriver. That's all I have for you. Appreciate an update after you figure this one out. Also I don't believe a hex nut is a good solution as I don't think you will be able to get a tool in there to tighten it up.

My flared magwell just showed up yesterday so I haven't installed it yet but what I plan on doing is making my own removal tool by cutting a notch into an offset screwdriver. That's all I have for you. Appreciate an update after you figure this one out. Also I don't believe a hex nut is a good solution as I don't think you will be able to get a tool in there to tighten it up.

Exactly what I did for the removal of the factory plastic magwell. I just notched out the center of a cheap and wide screwdriver. Also, the steel magwell does not have a recessed area at the moutung hole like the plastic one does. It's just a flat piece of steel sticking out so getting a wrench in there on a hex nut shouldn't be a problem. I must know the thread size and pitch though in order to find a nut.

If you live close to a home depot or lowes you can take the nut with you and they should have a guage display in the bolt section. Good luck! My plans are to swap my saiga 040 magwell out with the vepr. I am hoping there is no fitting required. Btw doesn't the bolt easily come out or does it get hung up on the front trunnion.

I just tried removing the plastic mag well today.  What a PITA.  The pin is extremely tight in the mag catch and will not come out.  I have to got to Home Depot and get a new screw driver to grind for the nut and a new punch.  I destroyed my punch trying to get that damn thing out.

• 1 year later...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ1BWjaon1s

I did a detailed install video on this in case it's helpful.

I took that nut to the hardware store, and spent some quality time in the fastner isle hunting for a comparable hex nut. And came up with jack squat. I tried standard, and metric, put it on the gauge, etc. couldn't find a match. I will continue to tighten it on with pliers onto the lock washer. Not a big deal IMO.

• 1 year later...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ1BWjaon1s

I did a detailed install video on this in case it's helpful.

I took that nut to the hardware store, and spent some quality time in the fastner isle hunting for a comparable hex nut. And came up with jack squat. I tried standard, and metric, put it on the gauge, etc. couldn't find a match. I will continue to tighten it on with pliers onto the lock washer. Not a big deal IMO.

It sounds like my chances of replacing my lost nut are near zero.

Modify a bladed screwdriver bit (a short one) that goes into a magnetic tipped screwdriver and turn it with a 1/4" wrench.

FWIW, it takes me about two minutes to remove the magwell and keep the latch and spring in place. It took me more than two minutes to come up with a way to do it that quickly ;)