Bought three rifles right before/at the sanctions. All three were bought for investment purposes:

post-37530-0-34044200-1407294883_thumb.jpg

Now I want to keep them all. However common sense says to keep one and keep two unfired down the road for investment purposes. So which one do you keep? From left to right: VEPR 23" .308, Saiga 7.62x39 converted, or VEPR 16" 5.45x39? I love the wood on the VEPR 5.45 so regardless of whether I choose either the .308 or the 5.45, that wood is coming with the rifle.

A little background.. I have multiple .308's but no AK format. I have another Saiga 7.62x39, but not a full wood version. I also have two other rifles in this caliber, and have stocked up on ammo. Finally, have no 5.45x39 anything (including ammo). It would mean I would have to start stocking a new caliber in ammo for one rifle. This seems like a logical choice not to keep, but I love the looks. Thoughts, opinions?

Edited by Spacehog
  • Like 1

I'd keep the 308. it will be the most valuable, but the main reason is that it is more versatile. Moreover you can have the common ammo for bulk purchasing ane other logistical concerns.

• Like 1

That is what I have been leaning toward GF. (With the 5.45 wood of course) I like the fact that it is not dependent on foreign import ammo. However it is also still the most expensive to shoot, and the thought of having to reload valuable brass for it does give me some pause.

I dont see how the 23" bbl is more versatile. Might as well be humping with a Mosin. Id keep the x39. Its a proven cartridge and its well balanced, and you still dont have to rely completely on imported ammo. Plus your already well into the caliber. The 23" bbl on the .308 just dont do it for me. If it was in the 20" flavor, or the 16", thats different. The 5.45 is excellent, but ammo availability will be the biggest issue, and you could put that money towards more shit for the rifle you keep.

• Like 2

I vote to keep the PSL...

Oh, wait... that wasnt an option...  umm... Then I guess I would have to settle for the VEPR 308. with the better wood.

switch the wood NOW... so any future pics dont have someone down the road wondering why its got the bland wood on it... :up:

You will like the 308 MUCH better with the good wood, anyways... :lol:

:smoke:

I dont see how the 23" bbl is more versatile. Might as well be humping with a Mosin. Id keep the x39. Its a proven cartridge and its well balanced, and you still dont have to rely completely on imported ammo. Plus your already well into the caliber. The 23" bbl on the .308 just dont do it for me. If it was in the 20" flavor, or the 16", thats different. The 5.45 is excellent, but ammo availability will be the biggest issue, and you could put that money towards more shit for the rifle you keep.

If I kept the .308, it would be cut down to 18". I have the ability to do it myself, recrown, and rethread. I do not really care for a 23" barrel on an AK either. (Save an RPK). For me it really comes down to the .308 VEPR or the S-7.62x39. I also need to weigh, what I want to keep versus which rifles will appreciate the most. I may just end up keeping both and selling the 5.45 down the road.

I vote to keep the PSL...

Oh, wait... that wasnt an option...  umm... Then I guess I would have to settle for the VEPR 308. with the better wood.

switch the wood NOW... so any future pics dont have someone down the road wondering why its got the bland wood on it... :up:

You will like the 308 MUCH better with the good wood, anyways... :lol:

:smoke:

No a PSL is not in the equation yet, and if it were, it would be in the safe, not under contemplation. Ironically, my LGS just got a beautiful PSL and RPD in. It is for their collection that they display in the museum, but everything has it's price. Unfortunately, I don't think I will be willing to pay it.

If I kept the .308, it would be cut down to 18". I have the ability to do it myself, recrown, and rethread. I do not really care for a 23" barrel on an AK either. (Save an RPK). For me it really comes down to the .308 VEPR or the S-7.62x39. I also need to weigh, what I want to keep versus which rifles will appreciate the most. I may just end up keeping both and selling the 5.45 down the road.

I hate decisions like this. horror.gif

But the choice is yours to make. If I were in your shoes, Id have to say ditch the 5.45. One thing to consider is if you have to sell one, you may get more money for the Vepr, but it may be harder to sell after cutting it down, and the Saiga is already in a more desirable configuration, and will likely sell faster and for more than you paid.

• Like 1

I hate decisions like this. :horror:

But the choice is yours to make. If I were in your shoes, Id have to say ditch the 5.45. One thing to consider is if you have to sell one, you may get more money for the Vepr, but it may be harder to sell after cutting it down, and the Saiga is already in a more desirable configuration, and will likely sell faster and for more than you paid.

I hate the decision as well, because I do not sell guns. Normally once they are mine, they will be my great grandson's. However, I also look at it in this way: they are just firearms, not the people I care for the most in my life, and it is a decision I am blessed to be able to make to begin with. As far as the .308 goes, it wouldn't get cut down until I had made up my mind to keep it. (So value at that point becomes strictly sentimental) The 5.45 will remain unfired until someone is interested in it. The Saiga, I am digging and will probably keep.

• Like 1

I'd keep the 5.45 virgin and shoot and maintain the others properly. The converted one is already modified so that would be the first to shoot. The .308 can be used and taken care of and still appreciate. I am very skeptical of buying a 5.45 since most people don't even know what kind of primers are in their ammo. The 5.45 would be worth a lot more knowing it was not corroded by thousands of rounds of surplus ammo and neglect. Not saying you wouldn't clean it properly, a lot of people just hesitate with that caliber if it's used.

• Like 2

Sell are 3 and buy an AR! beaten.gif

There are plenty of better 308 rifles around and they have easy to find mags! I would toss the 308 and keep the 5.45 or 7.62x39.

x39 would probably be the one to go with. Ammo is made outside of Russia, mags are plentiful. If you already have 5.45 ammo keep that one too. You can still find ammo for it and while it is MORE expansive then it was its still fairly cheap

• Like 1

I would say hold on to all 3 and leave them unfired. Take the wood you like and buy some cheaper poly to throw on one rifle. Save all three until the market value goes through the roof and then I'd sell all 3. The 5.45 is easily parted with bc of ammo reasons. The 7.62x39 is easily parted with because you already have a saiga in that caliber as well as other rifles in that caliber. Theres also the option of picking up another non ruskie ak if you just want a beater rifle. Plus you can always throw the wood furniture on it when you feel like it. The 308 will undoubtedly bring the most return in your investment, and practicality also comes in to play. Its heavy and expensive to feed. Thats what I'd do if i were in your position. Good luck on your decision.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input gentlemen. For the time being, I am going to throw all three in the safe and forget about them for a while. I have plenty of other stuff to shoot. I have no real attachment to the VEPRs, but I did the conversion on the Saiga, so it has grown on me.

In hindsight, I wish I had passed on either one of the VEPRs, as I just got a line on a Super VEPR in .308 NIB for $925. That is a gun I always wanted, and would be a definite keeper.

Yup,

Guns is fer buying and keepin, not fer sellin.

For me, were I forced to make a choice I'd keep the x39. Admittedly I have a bias for that caliber. Of course I wouldn't be able to bring myself to sell any short of hungry children at home.

IMHO .308 role is better filled by several other options not including AK platform. Ie, AR, M1A, FAL, SCAR 17, etc,etc, plus a plethora of bolt guns. Not to say .308 AKs aren't fun just better suited in other options.

My ¢2

• Like 1

I would probably part with the 5.45 out of all three. Unless you have a huge stash of surplus, it's the most likely to be affected by ammo import bans, and IMO I would rather put money towards stashing away 5.56 and rifles chambered for that.

• Like 2

Sell are 3 and buy an AR! beaten.gif

There are plenty of better 308 rifles around and they have easy to find mags! I would toss the 308 and keep the 5.45 or 7.62x39.

x39 would probably be the one to go with. Ammo is made outside of Russia, mags are plentiful. If you already have 5.45 ammo keep that one too. You can still find ammo for it and while it is MORE expansive then it was its still fairly cheap

Would it be cool if I tore you a new asshole on the AR platform today? If you don't want to hear my opinionated horseshit, just let me know. :) ROFL AR!

I did have a hard on for the .308 saiga years ago when they were much more rare. It shot good but the novelty wore off and I made money on the deal. It's a cool rifle that works good out of the box without any modifications. At least mine worked great for killing deer. I bet there will be a lot of people out there who will see the rifle the same way I did and want one.

• Like 1

I ditched my .308 and kept the x39. When ammo sells quick, the common NATO calibers go fast and cost a lot. You can get twice as much ammo for the $ in x39 vs, .308. There are better .308 rifles for hunting, but then just us a 30-06 (ammo available everywhere and not subject to hoarding of "assault style" weapons ammo). The x39 is good for Deer as well. Add 75 round mags, cheap 30 & 40 rounders too......

The only modern NATO cal. I use is .223 in my bolt action for hunting Antelope, and I have a lifetime supply of Hornady ballistic tip bullets, for a bolt action gun.

• Like 1

If I could only keep one, I'd keep the x39 and sell the others to buy a Saiga or other AK pattern rifle with a squared back. I love the VEPR but I hate that so many were imported without the square back. Makes changing the wood so much more of a pain in the ass than it has to be. Then again, the wood on the 5.45 is real nice so if you REALLY like it, stain it up and make it a keeper and sell off the two 7.62 caliber guns at inflated scare pricingbeer.gif

• Like 1

Keep the x39. There is no question in any person's mind, concerning what the gun is capable of, when you step out from around a corner. It has that classic look.

It's a common caliber, has more penetration than the 5.45, and is cheaper and lighter to carry than the .308.

The Veper's slant back never appealed to me but, should command a good price, based on their reputation.

I have guns in all those calibers but, my SHTF gun would have to be my Saiga x39.

Just seeing it would make any criminal run like hell!

(BTW, I always appreciate your posts.)

Good luck!

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

I have to admit, recently I have thought of selling everything 7.62x39 that I own and building several ARs

That wouldn't be much fun. AR's are fun to build, and the options are greatly varied, but for me they are all ARs. Great firearms, but after awhile I look at my multiple builds and think "OK it's just another AR." When I look at an AK build, it is more than an amalgamation of parts...it is a work of art, and a piece of me. I know other's may have different options and may feel the same way about ARs that I do about AK's.

It it interesting to see the wide varieties of opinions on what each of you would keep. That was my intention with this post. Nearly every comment was followed by a logical reason for the choice. Each and everyone of us are passionate about firearms...maybe some firearms more than others, but that is what I love about the sport. We may disagree on what's best, but we all still share the love of things that go bang.

I am in no hurry to unload any of these things. If they appreciate, I will likely let a couple go, if not it's cool. Just more to be distributed to my kids and future grandchildren. I am not going to rape anyone on a deal...just not in my nature. I favor good will and a clear conscience over money. I appreciate all the comments and the comradery on the board ( as well as the occasional pissing match)

• Like 2