Ok this is more broad range. By the time I can afford anthoer rifle. The veper

Will be gone. I have an s308 and s223s. It is either m77 or ptr91. In 308 unless I missed any in that price range 1000 to 1300. V93 for 223. The ar platform is good but got rid of what I had. A while ago.unless there is naker other hk tgat makes a rock sold ar.Hk does make a 223 that is bullet proof but in 2500 dolar range. I remember theus army turned them down. An other I may have missed?. C93s are cheaper have researched but not as good as vectors. No not parial to hk or hk clones they just keep coming up in searchs. Use to have m1a1 great rifle for me was not good for other family members.

You could build a good functioning ar for that price range. I think supply has finally outpaced demand parts are getting back to normal if not cheaper if you watch for sales. You could bulletproof it as resources allow..even convert it over to piston if you wanted. Just an option to think about.

I had sold my AR as well.

However, the AR market is so depressed right now it's a great time to get in.

Botach just had a sale on Magpul furniture.  I just got two sets of furniture (MOE grip, vertical, handguard, STR stock, 6 position UTG buffer tube) for $85.00 a set.  

I also just bought 10 lowers and one complete upper, minus the handguard, in 5.56.   One single AR for all of this cost me like $650.00.

I think I'm going to build 2 5.56, 2 300 blackout, maybe 2 5.45, 2 9mm, and 2 .22LR.

I won't be dropping that much money all at once, but that is my overall plan.

Oh, and also, PMags are dirt cheap.  I have bought 30 of them for $10.00 each (Gen M3).

To help with those bills I did sell my M1A, but the point is you can get multiple ARs for dirt cheap and have enough spare parts to keep them running. 

I also just bought 10 lowers and one complete upper, minus the handguard, in 5.56.   One single AR for all of this cost me like $650.00.

I think I'm going to build 2 5.56, 2 300 blackout, maybe 2 5.45, 2 9mm, and 2 .22LR.

I can't help but notice that you left out the 6.8 SPC. It's a great caliber for an AR15 that has real world uses such as hunting.

• Like 1

If you can think of for an AR someone makes it. Just watch the drop in pistons kits and quad rails...some pistons kits won't fit under certain quad rails. Something to keep in mind as you research..and yes very fun to build and improve. That's the fun for me build up something basic shoot it and upgrade as you see fit. That's what I love about the s12 too.

I can't help but notice that you left out the 6.8 SPC. It's a great caliber for an AR15 that has real world uses such as hunting.

Yeah I might do that instead of 5.45.  I really haven't decided.  The other thing is I'm not really familiar with the cartridge cost and availability.  That's nothing a little research couldn't fix I suppose.  

Edit - The cheapest I see is 65 cents a round.  I guess I could substitute this for a semiauto .308/7.62.   I have a remington 700p for long range shooting, saiga 12 for close range.  Everything else is for the in-between.  I guess if the 6.8 is good for deer-sized game that would be a good gap filler.

Edited by Hornsj2

+1 6.8 is very hog friendly...LOL

• Like 2

68forums is a wealth of knowledge about the cartridge. Unlike the 300, I can find factory ammo with ease, which is a real bonus. (Before anyone gets the impression that I'm bashing the 300, keep in mind that I'm thinking of building one.) It outperforms the 300 if you're shooting unsuppressed. (The 300 has the edge suppressed though) I got my deer last year with my 6.8. One shot DRT. Real soft shooter as well.

Do you have a grand laying around right now? It seems like you want a semi auto Nato caliber 7.63. Price goes down a bunch if you just want an auto loading .308 deer rifle. If you have the money now, let me know. I have an eye on something very rare, like new and one of the best in the category of work rifle with accuracy and dependability. If you don't need it now, I'm going to get it.

5.56 nato platform rifles are great for support role personnel, can plinkers and coyote killing. I know people who hunt deer with a 5.56 and it works but you better be a surgeon with your shot placement. I have had personal issues with the 5.56 nato round since it was first issued to me in 1995.

If you are going for the 7.62 semi automatic battle rifle, you will most likely find that a piston driven or direct impingement action is the way to go. Gas, gas, gas is a no go on the larger round unlike a well tuned m16.

If you are going for the 7.62 semi automatic battle rifle, you will most likely find that a piston driven or direct impingement action is the way to go. Gas, gas, gas is a no go on the larger round unlike a well tuned m16.

What does this even mean? DI and piston are pretty much it. Unless you throw in roller locked delayed blowback.

Never heard of the Gas,gas,gas operating system.

• Like 1

What does this even mean? DI and piston are pretty much it. Unless you throw in roller locked delayed blowback.

Never heard of the Gas,gas,gas operating system.

guess if i read it.. it does look a little silly. there is a little grey area in the direct impingement world. piston driven systems like the AK platform work better than an improved direct impingement system like eugene stoner patented. some AR10 rifles use more of an AR tube fed system that tends to clog up with shorter barrels running 7.62 nato. does that help any?

aka lots of shitty AR 7.62 rifles out there.

gas gas gas is a signal and a military joke aimed at our rifles.

Edited by Stryker0946

There are more effective options in 5.56mm than what the military is stuck with. Hunting bullets and heavy match bullets are both options for making the 5.56mm hit harder.

Wish I had the money getting ready for tax time. And looking to get 2or3 more rifles.my girls are getting bigger. My boys time to step up that is why mixed cal . I'm leaning towards the ptr. But have no experience with it the others listed are lower on the list.ar platform has many of its own issues. If I go thatway im looking at windom weaponry. The old bushmaster plant is just up the rd.

That is why imalsoopen toany other ideas. A gas piston ar 308 would be nice. Have not found one yet.

What is your rare find. It could be another avenue if im wait long enough. And look around.

Ruger and Sig both make gas piston AR 308 type rifles.  They are both supposed to be excellent quality.   

I wouldn't mind having a .308 AR type rifle, but if the 6.8spc round can do most of what the .308 can do I think I'll go for that because I like having spare parts and I will have 10 5.56 lowers with all of the associated parts if I am ever in a bind.

Edited by Hornsj2

Ruger and Sig both make gas piston AR 308 type rifles.  They are both supposed to be excellent quality.   

I wouldn't mind having a .308 AR type rifle, but if the 6.8spc round can do most of what the .308 can do I think I'll go for that because I like having spare parts and I will have 10 5.56 lowers with all of the associated parts if I am ever in a bind.

HK makes a piston 308 as well.

All are out of my budget. Thanks . Just learned somthing new that has much promise. Sure some already know this. 80 percent lowere for ar. No ffl required. Just finsh the last drilling. Just buy the jig. Adams arms makes many gas piston uppers.lowerparts kits cheap. All said done about 550 to 600.

At close range (0-100yds/m) the 5.56 is fine for deer hunting, but further out it's .22 in .22 out.  At 200, it's a damn hard track even though the deer went 100 yards before dropping (glad there was snow!).  JSP's don't expand, but keyhole out to 100.  I've had game wardens wondering what I killed some deer with as the exit wounds looked more like stab wounds from a hunting knife.  The round is fine for the short ranges when hunting in heavy brush, or maybe from a tree stand with reduced ranges.  If you're hunting in open areas, go to a bigger round like a .308 or .30-06. 

I read this whole thread... and all I can think of is THIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evr_tP9cJWY

I have no idea why.... but thats just where my mind goes...  rolleyes.gif

OH.... Whenever my mother comes over to visit... EVERY time I hear her turn on her KINDLE... it talks EXACTLY the same, and I have to play the video again, while HER kindle speaks... its rather amusing!!!! ROFL!

000.gif

• Like 4

What is your rare find. It could be another avenue if im wait long enough. And look around.

Ok, so my freaking Harley had issues with the rotor and stator. Also need to rebuild the works shocks in the rear, new battery and rebuild the front caliper. I wont be getting this rifle anytime soon and hope to find another some day.

If you have the means to get this rifle, do it. On GunJoker there is an original Robinson Arms VEPRII .308 that was designed for contractors, police and military. They are tastefully built battle rifles that came is some very interesting and dependable models. They now concentrate solely on their XCR platform.

This is the Tromix of the VEPR builds in my opinion. Anybody who has ever shot a Robinson knows they are nuts on and solid. The one on GunJoker has an ass load of magazines and looks to be pretty much a virgin that never got more than a sighting in.

Good luck.

Edited by Stryker0946
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok this is more broad range. By the time I can afford anthoer rifle. The veper

Will be gone. I have an s308 and s223s. It is either m77 or ptr91. In 308 unless I missed any in that price range 1000 to 1300. V93 for 223. The ar platform is good but got rid of what I had. A while ago.unless there is naker other hk tgat makes a rock sold ar.Hk does make a 223 that is bullet proof but in 2500 dolar range. I remember theus army turned them down. An other I may have missed?. C93s are cheaper have researched but not as good as vectors. No not parial to hk or hk clones they just keep coming up in searchs. Use to have m1a1 great rifle for me was not good for other family members.

Centerfire has them on sale for 499.99 in your choice of caliber. Get on it.

Edit -- Sorry to get your hopes up friend, it appears they have been sold already....damn shit moves fast lately.

Edited by Venia
  • 2 months later...