Loose trunnion pin

A regular client I work with asked if I would trade some work for his AK. It's an IO ak-47c. I've read mixed reviews about these rifles, but I'm only trading a few hours worth of work for it, so if it ends up being a lemon, I'm not out any cash, just some time and effort. 

20140811_180425_zps8508a000.jpg

The only thing that has me concerned is the front trunnion/barrel rivet (pin?). On the right side everything looks fine, but on the left it almost looks loose or sunk in. I tried getting the best pictures I can, but I've never claimed to be a photographer. 

Right side: 

20140812_100614_zps2fd85f2a.jpg

And the odd looking left side:

20140812_100553_zps9270365c.jpg

It's kind of hard to tell from my pictures, but has anyone ever dealt with a similar issue? Should I shoot it until it dies, or is it an issue that needs addressing BEFORE I shoot it? I haven't really had any time to tinker with it, or tap it with a punch or anything yet, so I don't know if it just Looks loose, or if there is any actual play in the rivet.

Take it to a good gunsmith that knows AKs. He can check the headspace and (if necessary) adjust and install an oversize barrel pin.

Bad head spacing could make it unsafe to shoot.

The gap at the front of the receiver cover is not a good sign either.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 3

IO is notorious for shoddy assembly. A buddy of mine managed to take a rifle home with the rear trunnion installed incorrectly - the trunnion wasn't slid all the way on the rails on the right side, and the receiver was just sort of crushed out of the way by the press when it was riveted. No idea how that shit passed "QC"

• 4 months later...

I realize this is an archived thread, however, we felt it was necessary to respond to these issues. First off, the rifle shown is an older build from our facility in North Carolina. Yes there were issues with our build quality. Since our move to Florida we have invested in new tooling including state of the art CNC machinery and new personnel company wide. We have completely revamped all processes of our manufacturing and quality control. All parts are US made! We DO NOT use surplus parts in any aspect of our manufacturing. All of our rifles carry a no hassle lifetime warranty and we will stand behind it. We have made changes for the better and are ready to prove it to you! Thank you. 

• Like 3

Would you guys be willing to do some work on Damaged's rifle being it is second hand and from earlier manufacture? Seems like you guys are getting your stuff on the ball, would be great customer service to get this guys rifle in good shape. Would change my view on you guys. Just saying

I would love to see some of your newer rifles. My experience with past builds was less than positive - I saw a few rifles that were assembled very well, many had canted parts or other problems. It's great to hear that you've put so much effort into improving quality control in your build process.

I wasn't aware that you were constructing 100% American AK rifles. That's fantastic. Although personally I have no problem with surplus parts in AK rifles because of the nature of the platform, it's great to know that someone has assembled the tooling to build them completely in the US without reliance on foreign parts - and at prices comparable to imported rifles.

• Like 2

Would you guys be willing to do some work on Damaged's rifle being it is second hand and from earlier manufacture? Seems like you guys are getting your stuff on the ball, would be great customer service to get this guys rifle in good shape. Would change my view on you guys. Just saying

ALL of our US made rifles carry the Lifetime Warranty! We absolutely would repair the rifle under warranty. To submit a warranty claim visit our website link   http://www.ioinc.us/rma-submit-form.html

This is really a no hassle warranty, if it is defective we will fix the issue. No red tape, no fine print loopholes.

I would love to see some of your newer rifles. My experience with past builds was less than positive - I saw a few rifles that were assembled very well, many had canted parts or other problems. It's great to hear that you've put so much effort into improving quality control in your build process.

I wasn't aware that you were constructing 100% American AK rifles. That's fantastic. Although personally I have no problem with surplus parts in AK rifles because of the nature of the platform, it's great to know that someone has assembled the tooling to build them completely in the US without reliance on foreign parts - and at prices comparable to imported rifles.

Our current product line is constructed using all US made parts. We CNC machine many of them in house. Rifles are constructed using laser alignment and specialized fixtures to alleviate the canting of sight bases and ensuring the receivers and trunnions are perfectly aligned and consistent. Improvements are being made on a continuing basis.