Silencer Co's new shotgun suppressor

• 2 months later...

ya you could always have a gunsmith thread it for the chokes of your choice. It looks like its only about $100-$150 to get it done. I've been looking into getting it done on my iz433, but keep the external threads so I can change my chokes but still have a muzzle brake that I dont have to unthread every time I need a different choke.

ya you could always have a gunsmith thread it for the chokes of your choice. It looks like its only about $100-$150 to get it done. I've been looking into getting it done on my iz433, but keep the external threads so I can change my chokes but still have a muzzle brake that I dont have to unthread every time I need a different choke.

That won't work with Rem or Win Chokes. There isn't enough barrel thickness. You may be able to do that with thin wall chokes (Briley, TruChoke, etc.), but I can't speak intelligently on whether or not it is feasible. I have never given them much thought, but there are some very important details in selecting what you are going to use (I.D., minimum barrel thickness, etc.). Using internal chokes and a brake can definitely be done safely, but not with factory threads and Rem/Win Chokes. Of course, I do not know it all and there could be some genius way to do it, but I am unaware of it.

If I can remember to do it when I have access to what I need, I will post back with some measurements that will make it easier to understand why it isn't feasible. If you really want to know and I haven't done it by Monday night, remind me via the messenger system here.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

You will either have one or the other. the external thread minimum diameter (groove depth) is far too close to the bore size needed for screw-in chokes for the two schemes to occupy the same length of barrel.

Even IF you could cut choke threads inside the tube with the exterior break threading there would be such a thin area that fracture would occur just by tightening either a choke tube (internally) or a break/muzzle treatment (externally). 

• 2 weeks later...

Just FYI, I emailed Silencerco about the possibility of permanently attaching the Salvo to a 12" bbl Vepr to have a one-stamp gun and they replied that it wasn't possible because of the design of the can. Too bad. sad.png

I was thinking it might be possible if you permed the thread-on part to the barrel and then welded at least one of the rods to that, effectively added to the barrel length while still allowing dissassembly for cleaning (I assume the Salvo is meant to come apart for cleaning?)

Edited by Aries144

I have seen some very crooked S12 threads. If I ever end up with one of those cans I will definitely be going with Rem Choke threading.

Can you recommend a Saiga to Remchoke adapter?  

No. The idea is to create concentric internal threads. It is about alignment, not necessarily a particular thread pattern. Adapting from factory threads to Rem Choke doesn't achieve the same thing.

• 1 month later...

What I can say from the dealers side, Most silencerco distributors have the salvo mounts for saiga / vepr in stock now. Better news, with the way that the salvo is designed I don't foresee an issue using the factory threads as long as they're close to being concentric. I will be chopping my vepr 12 barrel down to 12" and adding a salvo in its 8" configuration somewhat soon. I work for the largest silencer dealer in the southeast and speaking from real world use, the salve is AWESOME!

I already have the CSS break/choke adapter for the V12 which is threaded for the Winchoke system.

When I ordered the Salvo I opted for the Vepr/Saiga 22mm mount because of the seeming endless stacking of threaded couplers (and yet ANOTHER choke style to add to the parts drawer) doesn't figure as the very best of options when gambling with $1400 cans.

If I had been able to get the CSS part using a Remchoke pattern I might have gone that direction since then the Salvo (Remchoke)coupler would have been compatible with my 870.

As it is, I've only got one other barrel (currently) that will need a thread to use the Salvo, and I think that the '97 copy won't protest too much at being threaded for Rem versus Win style chokes.

Those Salvo thread adapter/coupler mechanism are EXPENSIVE, and reducing the number of choke thread styles is only trying to be (somewhat) economical about things, not to mention the confusion factor.

It left me a bit bummed when the Silencerco folks told me that my Browning Auto5's barrel attachment design wouldn't be conducive to the suppressor's use though.

I might just have to purchase a stamp for one of those 14" Remington slug barrels and have a choke thread (22mm external?) cut so I have fitment for the 870 though. YeeHah! here piggy-piggy.....