Kroger stores the next "gun free" zone?

www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/18/guns-kroger_n_5683023.html

So far, it looks like Kroger is holding their ground...

Contacted on Friday, company spokesman Keith Dailey said the grocery chain had no plans to change existing policy, which is to abide by state and local laws.

"Millions of customers are present in our busy grocery stores every day and we don't want to put our associates in a position of having to confront a customer who is legally carrying a gun," Dailey said. "We know that our customers are passionate on both sides of this issue and we trust them to be responsible in our stores."

We'll see if they cave in or not.

• Like 1

I do all my shopping and get most of my gasoline from Kroger's. Good people working there and I've never had a problem with anything I bought there.  :)

"Funny" thing is, the plaza the Kroger's and other stores are in has "gun free zone" signs at all the driveways, but the stores themselves are NOT posted.

I don't think anyone pays attention to the signs at the driveways.  ;)  (Not entirely sure it's legal, anyway...?)

Oh it's only a matter of time until the "open carry cause it's my right" sector screws around until another store is compelled to react. Don't know why those clowns insist on making a scene wherever they can...:scorn:

Open carry,do you mean the ones that carry rifles and pose for pictures in these places.

Because open carry is legal here and I occasionally do open carry when it strikes me. Other times it's concealed. Signs are useless.

Selective viewing.

• Like 1

Isn't Krogers just a low budget brand Baker's carries? Didn't know they had their own stores.

Kroger is something like the #2 grocery retailer in the country. Not every area has them, but they are a huge company.

I personally don't shop there because the prices are often terrible but I do like seeing that they're letting their customers police themselves. I may become a shopper of their more often when I notice a good sale ad on a few items... It's worth a little extra gas to help support them and I may send them an email to that effect.

Out here Krogers is called Fred Meyers.

They just added firearms to the line of products in sporting goods about a year or two ago.

Ok in my book.

I just noticed a youtube video a week or two ago where some guy in Washington was talking about his grocery store having an FFL. Fucking awesome.

• Like 1

I nearly always get gas and food from Kroger I carry concealed, I've seen people carrying open no problems. We will usually by non food stuff at Wal-Mart and food from Kroger. The quality of meat and seafood is good in my local store.

Kroger did NOT cave.  They said they would simply follow local and state laws and stay out of the gun debate.  Good on them!  Here's the link to thank them for their decision.  I did it and hopefully you will too.

Kroger (King Sooper) is huge here.

I know the link says facebook, but it takes you directly to a Kroger page.

https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kroger.com%2Fcustomercomments&h=7AQE1ORj3

Edited by Big John!

You have to keep in mind that being 2nd to Walmart is like comparing a Piper Cub to a 747. It's not a huge shock that they're not a household name across the country.

However... You can bet #1-5 are watching what Kroger is doing and all of those probably are household names in aggregate.

• Like 1