bolt carrier getting stuck to the rear on rails

Hello, this is my first post here. I've been doing a bit of reading on this forum and I tried searching past threads but I dont really see anything that can help me with my problem so far. I just bought my first saiga 12 and I did the conversion myself but I distinctly remember having this same problem when it was in stock configuration. The problem I'm having is that when I pull the charging handle all the way to the rear *AND* pull down on the handle at the same time the carrier gets stuck. Not enough to hold it there if I let go but enough to cause me worry about it happening when I fire the weapon for the first time. Basically the left side of the carrier is sliding off the rail and when the carrier is tilted downwards to the right it changes the angle just enough to keep it from sliding back on the rail. I tried filing down the feed channel on the carrier but it is still doing it. Before I go hog wild with filing I just wanted to get more experienced input so I dont mess up my gun. I can get pics uploaded if that helps. Thanks in advance!

Are you doing this with the main spring removed? Because the spring guide has a spacer that prevents the bolt from traveling to far to the back.

Also the bolt tends to get a little hung up on the hammer, even more with a Tapco hammer since the shape is a little taller. This is normal.

• Like 1

Why don't you fire a bunch of shells thru it before you do anything else. Seriously.

Edit; I would think its obvious that I meant to fire the gun as is, to see if it even cycles, considering the OP said he has only tested it by hand so far. Before he continues anymore filing of parts, especially the bolt carrier.

Edited by Mullet Man

It's the retainer plate probably... that is, if it is actually hanging up that far back. Otherwise you have the same problem as everyone else who puts an AK-47 or 74 (designed for a RIFLE) hammer into an AK SHOTGUN. If the hammer is catching you can not fire enough rounds through there or massage it enough sitting on the couch to make the difference it needs. No matter what anyone says.

• Like 1

Hi guys. Sorry it took me so long to respond I had a long day at work yesterday. To answer your questions yes I tried it without the recoil spring and also without the bolt. I don't have the retaining plate because when I tried to install it it wouldn't alight with the safety selector hole on the receiver wall so I put the shepherds hook/crook?spring back in.

I forgot to mention in my first post that I actually have visual confirmation that it's hitting the rail on the left side. Its hard to see unless I hold the gun just right and shine a flashlight in there but it's definitely hitting on the left side when it's all the way back and I tilt the charging handle down to the right. I don't know if the hammer might also have something to do with it but it sounds like that's a good possibility. I really should fire the gun first before I do any more filing. Just haven't had the time yet.

I just wanted to clarify what exactly is happening. When the bolt carrier is all the way back and tilted down to the right, the front of the left side carrier/rail channel is going past the receiver rail and hitting it at a tilted angle thus causing it to get stuck/bound. My main concern is that if this happens when firing it will damage the rail or the carrier or that it would cause the carrier to get jammed in the rear position.

I read through this but it's still not clear to me if it's doing this with the gun fully assembled.

csspecs: Are you doing this with the main spring removed?

jiggz: To answer your questions yes I tried it without the recoil spring and also without the bolt.

Please clarify this....

jiggz, if you are doing this without the recoil assembly in place, that's how it supposed to work..... you pull the carrier fully back and it comes off the rails.

If the gun is fully assembled and you don't jack the carrier sideways (pull down on the charging handle), does it cycle ok?

Also, check to make sure the BHO is functioning normally and the spring is in place.

I think you need to get it out to the range for testing.

Spartacus: I've tried it full assembled and it does the same thing but I understand what you mean. The gun cycles just fine if I don't pull down but it seems like i have to purposely try not to pull down because if I just yank on it like I do an ak, I can sometimes feel it. The BHO seems to function just fine. I will be range testing it this Sunday before I do anything else. I will als get some pics of what I was talking about up. Wanted to do that yesterday but didn't have the time. Also, I just wanted to say thanks for all the input guys.

Oh and about the blackjack buffer, I thought about doing that but if this is an actual problem with the gun I think I would rather have the issue fixed permanently. I think i read somewhere that buffers can possibly wear out/break and jam the gun up and also increase felt recoil which I would rather not do. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Spartacus: I've tried it full assembled and it does the same thing but I understand what you mean. The gun cycles just fine if I don't pull down but it seems like i have to purposely try not to pull down because if I just yank on it like I do an ak, I can sometimes feel it. The BHO seems to function just fine. I will be range testing it this Sunday before I do anything else. I will als get some pics of what I was talking about up. Wanted to do that yesterday but didn't have the time. Also, I just wanted to say thanks for all the input guys.

Ok, just wanted to make sure we were all on the same page with what was happening.

The bolt carrier should certainly not bind up or jump the rails just normally racking it.

Good luck getting it figured out.

There are several good vendors here who would be able to look at it if you get stuck.