Saiga IZ-433 Mags Falling Out

I just installed a Vepr 12 metal competition magwell on my 030 type Saiga 12 (IZ-433). I was so excited after installing because all of my Saiga and Vepr mags inserted VERY easily and dropped freely using the JTE extended mag release lever. No more hard to insert issues and having to sometimes jerk the empty mags out. I went to test fire the gun today and every time I fire a round off the magazine falls out. The happens with the Saiga 030 type mags everytime time and hit or miss with Vepr & SGM mags. If I hand cycle the gun all magazine types stay in place just fine. I also tried to hold the magazine lever in place with my off hand while shooting the gun and the mag DID NOT fall out. This is the only way I can fire the gun and the mags not fall out. Anyone know what the hell is going on? The mags locks in place VERY distinctly also. None of that half lock in bullshit is going on in this scenario. I get very distinct and obvious full insertion and lock up.

Stiffer mag release spring maybe?

Edited by lsxevo

I had suspicion that the mag catch was too short, the spring was too weak, or both. As mentioned in first post if I hold the mag catch in the closed position with my off hand everything works great. I called Jack with JTE and discussed my issues. He agreed with the catch/spring being the issues. Especially since I was getting positive lock up with the magazines. They would not come out of Magwell prematurely. Very tight lock up.

Anyways, he passed on a little trick of bending the legs out on the mag catch spring a little to make it stiffer. I tried this and it solved my issue 90% of the time. Jack said the inertia of the heavier loads can cause the mag catch to move some during the cycle (1350-1400 fps). So the Vepr and SGM mags now work 100%. They are slightly tighter in the magwell anyways. The saiga 030 mags still fall out on occasion, but rarely. I wish I could find a heavy duty or stiffer spring and I think it would solve my issues regardless of the mag catch length.

You can also build material onto the back of the mags to make a tighter fit. Or the lug.

Use your throw away stock as fill material and plastic weld with a low temp soldering iron.