Magpul Pmags for 7.62x39. Good or No?

I've been using one quite a bit. It's not steel reinforced and I haven't really put the mag through a ton of abuse. As a range mag it works great but if you want the most durable mag possible you might want to look elsewhere. I hope they do make a steel reinforced version.

post-34181-0-07082400-1408841864.jpg

I know the purist hate them, but the Tapco AK mag for $10 is a great mag.  Much cheaper than the Magpuls, and In my opinion, just as tough as the Magpul.  For serious,work, though, I would use steel com-block, bugarian circle 10s, or Polish ones with the steel inserts.

• Like 4

Much cheaper than the Magpuls

I wouldn't say "much" cheaper... $8 is the going rate for Tapco here, Magpuls are $11.

Ah, Last time I checked is when they Magpuls first came out and were the "must have" item.  Prices were around $20 then, IIRC.

Much cheaper than the Magpuls

I wouldn't say "much" cheaper... $8 is the going rate for Tapco here, Magpuls are $11.

Ah, Last time I checked is when they Magpuls first came out and were the "must have" item.  Prices were around $20 then, IIRC.

Nah, that'd be insane. $13 max is what I've seen from the big online retailers, and a lot of the time it's closer to $11 or $12 with sales and whatnot. The Tapcos have done better in some abuse tests, but I mean, the Magpul isn't weak by any means, and I don't need either of them to be robust... they're just range mags to me, they just have to fit and feed. 

There was a lot of hype when the first came out, and demand (sic prices) were high.  Just like US Palm.  They were STUPID expensive when they came out, and all the AK gurus said they were the best thing.  I got one, and thought it was no better than a Tapco.  At least the Tapco you could intentionally remove the base plate for disassembly and cleaning.  The US Palms are not supposed to be able to disassemble with the bottom cup/base plate epoxied on.  The problem was, they had a nasty habit of disassembling themselves when the magazine was loaded, with the glue on the baseplate letting go.....  I sold mine and bought 4 Tapcos...They were $45 when they came out.  Now I see them for $25ish.  Still about 3X times too expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for opinions on the 7.62x39 pmags. And do they make some that are steel reinforced. I like durability.

I own many of them and they are great, nothing else is required besides little shaving for this pin sticking out of mag. I did it carefully with my dremel. Also I know for fact that magpul mags are superior AK mags to any besides OEM russian made. My friend own Tapco made and he has to do some other modes because rounds doesn't feed well, Magpul is just great on this! I got two more couple of days ago from Big Bass SC store for $19 each, so not that expensive.

Edited by mbjku
  • 2 weeks later...

I ran Tapco 1st and 2nd gen AK mags back in free America as range mags. I do have some of the bakelite orange Tapco slab sides I bought as "repair kits" before the ban, but haven't tried them as mags.  I am going to use the bodies to rebuild some of my beat up metal mil-surps.  I'll use the Com-bloc spring, follower, and floorplate locks with the Tapco body, and keep the empty metal bodies I replaced so I stay Kalifornication legal. (Really stupid law!)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I suspect Magpul will kill the steel-lined ones because of bad sales on the all-polymer mags, then these too will fade away.

We really didnt need more breakable polymer mags, the Tapco slab sides are great for that already and cheaper. Now steel-lined polymer mags, THATS a hole in the market right now.

Magpul doesnt seem to understand that AK guys choose the AK because the primary #1 important thing to them is durability.

I suspect Magpul will kill the steel-lined ones because of bad sales on the all-polymer mags, then these too will fade away.

We really didnt need more breakable polymer mags, the Tapco slab sides are great for that already and cheaper. Now steel-lined polymer mags, THATS a hole in the market right now.

Magpul doesnt seem to understand that AK guys choose the AK because the primary #1 important thing to them is durability.

You realize how downright arrogant it is to say that Magpul, the maker of arguably the most durable AR mag, with servicemen and women in mind, doesn't understand that people want durability, right? 

They have stated many times over that they did all-polymer mags first to get the geometry and exterior correct, without wasting money tweaking things with steel reinforcements. They also stated more recently that steel-reinforced mags are coming at SHOT. So... no... they haven't killed the steel-lined ones. And no, they aren't misunderstanding anything. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18JtG4alPT4#t=11

Magpuls did OK, except they sheared the front and rear lugs off, whacking the magazine in a durability test a couple minutes in.

They use a harder polymer. So it shears easier, but is less prone to deformation over the long term.

Edited by Inebriated

The best mags I ever had were Polish military polymers with the metal re-enforcement in them. Aim surplus had them about 6 or 7 years ago, but you never see them anymore.  There re Polish commercial out there with no steel, and they are no better than Promags..

Circle 10s are great, but stupid expensive.  Years ago they would come on sale for $24ish (once saw them $19).  $45 is just insane....  I'll stick with my Com-Bloc steel and Tapco slab sides.

Please. Magpul AR mags are great for what they are, $8 polymer mostly-reliable magazines. But they arent the best, or amazing, just merely decent. They are jam-o-matics in my, and others, 300BLK rifles. Their 20-round mags continue to have serious problems, after years of feedback and development. Meanwhile, Lancer and others are putting out lightweight, reliable, steel-lipped polymer mags that have a fraction of Magpuls issues.

But Magpul is in the polymer business. If they have servicemen in mind, it is as a customer base. They recently leveraged their market power to create a completely new accesory-mounting system that benefits only, wait for it, polymer handguard manufacturers. And the fanboys lap it up.

I run Magpul followers in my USGI mags. ZERO malfunctions....but am not a fan of their AR magazines. (cracks, splits, don't fit some lowers, etc..  From what I see, the Tapco smoothside AK mags are at least as good as the Magpuls and cheaper, but oh, wait... Tapco is not KEEEWWEEELLLLLL (COOL).

Edited by imarangemaster

When you consider the strength of the Kalashnikov weapon system is its absolute reliability and indestructibility, using a magazine of less than the same standard is ridiculous.  My "Real World" SHTF and EOTWAWKI magazines are mo com=block steel with Tapco followers. My Tapco rebuilt ones are merely standby mags, since they were used to rebuild some really beat to shit com-blocs I would not trust. 

If I had the money, I would love some Izhmash or Tula orange bakelites, but at $35 a pop on my retirement income, that's not happening.  I use the Tapco smooth side orange to fill that visual need.

Edited by imarangemaster

The best mags I ever had were Polish military polymers with the metal re-enforcement in them.

Do those have steel reinforcement around the bottom of the magazine? I have some that only have reinforcement up top, lips and lugs, that I bought from a member on here. I snapped the bottom of one off at the range when I was using the mag as a rest. Shot the floor plate retainer down range and dumped out the remaining rounds. Only things salvageable were floor plate, spring and follower.

I've switched to ((10))'s and steel only.

Edited by Mullet Man