Ya I said it.  I fully support giving to charity, I really do.  I cut checks to St. Jude, disabled Vets and United Way a couple times a year.

But pouring ice water over my head on video and posting it online to AVOID donating a larger sum ( that I was put on the spot to do in the first place.) =  Not Happening.

How about just making the donation without looking like a fool in front of the world wide web?

Am I the only one that does not find this whole fad the least bit amusing?

• Like 4

No you are not, I am sick of it too. The charity is a good one, but for many people, it isn't about the charity anymore, it has become "Look at me". My 11 year old daughter was challenged in middle on Friday. I asked her if she was going to write the check or I? The blank look on her face was priceless.

• Like 3

Nope, I'm there with you. I admire the efficacy of the campaign - but it is one built on social pressure and a viral meme.

It is, at its essence, a social pressure meme - sibling to chain letters. That it is for a good cause mitigates some of that negative association - I still refuse to participate.

• Like 2

Nope, I'm there with you. I admire the efficacy of the campaign - but it is one built on social pressure and a viral meme.

It is, at its essence, a social pressure meme - sibling to chain letters. That it is for a good cause mitigates some of that negative association - I still refuse to participate.

That's what I get out of it too..... same idea as a chain letter and I also hate those.

Nailbomb..... I was waiting for a Klingon to beam aboard and dump the ice bucket on Capt. Picard's head.   :)

• Like 1

I get sick of seeing it too. I wouldnt waste my time with that shit. If they want a "challenge", go jump off of abrahms falls in February, when the water is just under 50 degrees. I wont do it again, thats for sure.

A kid I work with made enemies with a girl in his local hangout buddies. A couple weeks ago he left his windows down overnight and someone emptied a container of urine onto his cloth bucket seats. He said she was smirking the next time the group got together. Somehow, with this video and Red's wet stinky car seats, I believe the expression "better to be pissed off than pissed on"  fits

It would be annoying if it wasn't working... They've raised $20mil for ALS in the same time frame that they raised like $2mil last year.

And as you can see from Patrick Stewart, some celebs do it and fun and interesting ways... Seems like there are way better things to be pissed off about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUAn7KfxuoxUur8dP-lFCjdA&feature=player_detailpage&v=3JqrclEU8tg#t=129

• Like 1

I didn't care to fact check the video I watched earlier (because of it's HIGHLY LIKELY TRUTH), but it said something like a mere 7% of donations actually go towards research, the rest goes to campaigning about donations, organizers' salaries, etc. I'd rather do the pepperspray/waterboard challenge for veterans suicide awareness either way

• Like 1

On the one hand I am mildly annoyed with it. On the other hand, I'm lucky enough not to have ALS and don't have to depend on mildly annoying fund raising stunts to give me a little bit of hope. I think I can learn to live with it.

• Like 2

The only thing that gets me is the people doing it as a fad. When donating becomes completely narcissistic it makes me angry. I do fundraising for JDRF and MDA every year. Very few people donate but they sure as hell jumped on the bandwagon for ALS. MDA works with ALS too so it isn't for lack of a disease they want to support

Edited by VR6Shooter
  • Like 1

Seems like a waste of perfectly good water to me. Why not just donate money to ALS and save the water to donate to people that need water. Say you know, people struck by disaster like tornadoes, or Earthquakes. But hey, Im just talking to a brick wall when I think of things like that.

Seems like a waste of perfectly good water to me. Why not just donate money to ALS and save the water to donate to people that need water. Say you know, people struck by disaster like tornadoes, or Earthquakes. But hey, Im just talking to a brick wall when I think of things like that.

WUT?

post-39558-0-09743400-1408939253.jpg

• Like 1

Its not either or. Its BOTH. You do the bucket AND donate.

Lemme guess ...they are forcing it down on you. No? Who gives a shit? It raises money for a cause, big fucking deal.

• Like 1

Its not either or. Its BOTH. You do the bucket AND donate.

Lemme guess ...they are forcing it down on you. No? Who gives a shit? It raises money for a cause, big fucking deal.

Well sonofabitch!  Thank you for the clarification!  Sounds like it hit a little close to home there, Arik?  Go ahead and post your challenge video up here, we all want to see it.  Maybe you could nominate some guys from the forums??

Shit, this could turn in to something big.  

Arik, could we maybe start this up with the money going to a different charity?  Disabled Vets, maybe?

ALS probably has enough newly made millionaires sitting behind oak and leather clad desks by now.

Edited by Tundra1

Don't argue with Arik.  He doesn't like people who argue with him.  Or hold different opinions than him.  Or post things he's not interested in.

And he probably won't like me saying that.

HA! No i didnt do it, dont know anyone who has, have no plans to do it, dont know anyone with ALS, dont donate money to anyone but I also dont see the problem with others doing it! So they pour some water on themselves, big deal. No one is making you watch i.t

• Like 1