Kalashnikov Parts Comparability (SGL 21-61 Firing Pin)

Hey guys,

I would like to buy a replacement firing pin for my SGL 21 as a spare and I'm not sure which one it takes. For those who are unaware, an SGL 21 is an Arsenal Saiga 7.62x39 conversion to regular AK configuration.

Most 7.62x39 rifles take a standard firing pin, but that the SGL-21 takes a different sized firing pink than my other 7.62x39. The bolt is a different size as well. I believe the SGL-21 takes an AK 74 firing pin because it's built on a Saiga, but I'm not 100% sure that Saiga's take AK 74 pins as a rule... 

I believe that 7.62X39 and 5.45X39 Saigas along with the SGL series rifles (Arsenal's Saiga conversions) use AK 74 firing pins. I suspect that Saiga 223, .308, etc. also use AK 74 firing pins, while most 7.62x39 rifles (Bulgarian, older Russian, Romanian, Polish, Chinese Egyptian etc.) use another size which is the more typical standard internationally.

Can someone weigh in on this, or at least explain to me what kind of pin my SGL 21 needs?

Hey guys,

I would like to buy a replacement firing pin for my SGL 21 as a spare and I'm not sure which one it takes. For those who are unaware, an SGL 21 is an Arsenal Saiga 7.62x39 conversion to regular AK configuration.

Most 7.62x39 rifles take a standard firing pin, but that the SGL-21 takes a different sized firing pink than my other 7.62x39. The bolt is a different size as well. I believe the SGL-21 takes an AK 74 firing pin because it's built on a Saiga, but I'm not 100% sure that Saiga's take AK 74 pins as a rule... 

I believe that 7.62X39 and 5.45X39 Saigas along with the SGL series rifles (Arsenal's Saiga conversions) use AK 74 firing pins. I suspect that Saiga 223, .308, etc. also use AK 74 firing pins, while most 7.62x39 rifles (Bulgarian, older Russian, Romanian, Polish, Chinese Egyptian etc.) use another size which is the more typical standard internationally.

Can someone weigh in on this, or at least explain to me what kind of pin my SGL 21 needs?

Saiga's are '100 series AK's so much of the parts are based of the '74, and not AKM. I wouldnt really consider SGL's to be conversions, but rather a barreled reciever with US parts bolted on, which is even better.

• Like 1

I saw that, but I was hoping I could find something less than Kvar's 20.99

It looks like there are better deals out there:

http://www.russiansurplus.net/product_p/ak74-firing-pins.htm

Hey guys,

Saiga's are '100 series AK's so much of the parts are based of the '74, and not AKM. I wouldnt really consider SGL's to be conversions, but rather a barreled reciever with US parts bolted on, which is even better.

I wasn't sure where my SGL belongs. It still says Saiga on the side so I thought this was a decent place for it. Still not sure where I'll post pics if I decide too...

Anyhow, just to be clear it is an ak 74 firing pin that Saigas/SGLs take? In other words, I could get it from the Kvar link or the one I posted and I should be fine?