Vepr 12 Magazine Drop

Hi,  I am new to the Vepr 12. 

I couldn't find a similar thread, so I'm going to ask this question.

I put my brand new factory 5 round mag (empty) in my Vepr12 to check out the magwell.  It was so hard to remove the magazine I had to turn the gun around, clamp my hands on the mag release and then hold it with one hand while I pulled with all of my strength to get the mag out.

I figured these were just straight up and down mags (no rock) so I thought they should just pull straight down when released.  Is that wrong?  I did try wiggling it but that didn't help.  No jokes please.

Anyway I got the mag out but I had to use an  unreasonable amount of force.

I'll take the carrier out and see if I can spot what is catching when I remove the mag.  The tab looks ok to me but it's the only vepr mag I have seen in person.

edit - noticed the tab had an almost invisible line on the edge of it where it was being shaved by the mag catch.  I took a small file and shaved off a very small amount.  It was such a small amount I didn't even see polymer shavings coming off the file.  Two cycles of doing this and testing it and I'm good to go.

Thanks everyone for answering the question.  I wanted to make sure I was not doing something stupid before I tried that.  

If this happens to you it's probably the tab being like 0.001" too long.  Be very slow with your file.  You would not want to take too much off and not be able to lock.

Edited by Hornsj2

Did you have to slam to get the mag to lock initially?  My fixed stock VEPR12 had a mag release that was a lot tighter than my folder.  I assume you are using the mag that come with the gun.  When did you buy the gun?  Sounds like a huge QC issue.  Where did you purchase it from.  Not sure if you can get a replacement at this point with the sanctions.  I have had AK47 mags get that tight Yugo mags.  It sounds like the mag catch needs adjusted.

I removed my mag catch recently and filed it down to match my other VEPR12.  I was able to do without removing the mag well.  I did have a hell of a time getting the mag catch pin out though.

Id file the mags to fit the gun nit vise versa.

In the off chance you are in a situation where the world is fucked, and you are relying on only your v12 for the defense of yourself and possibly others, and you broke your last factory V12 mag, and your last sgm mag failed to feed, and you just happened to stumble upon a corpse that just happened to have a v12 mag on him, you'd be glad that you filed your mag catch instead of every single one of your mags to fit your long mag catch.

Id file the mags to fit the gun nit vise versa.

In the off chance you are in a situation where the world is fucked, and you are relying on only your v12 for the defense of yourself and possibly others, and you broke your last factory V12 mag, and your last sgm mag failed to feed, and you just happened to stumble upon a corpse that just happened to have a v12 mag on him, you'd be glad that you filed your mag catch instead of every single one of your mags to fit your long mag catch.

That's what my 3 saiga 12s are for.  Vepr was just a purchase made because they may not be available one day and I love ak shotguns.  I might even buy a catamount!

Edit - Oh, and if I'm using my shotguns for defense I'm probably either inside or in the woods near my house.  No way I'd rely on a shotgun for any distance.  The only person around my house with a Vepr is me.   Of course I hope I never run into a situation where I would need to do any of that.

Edited by Hornsj2

Did you have to slam to get the mag to lock initially?  My fixed stock VEPR12 had a mag release that was a lot tighter than my folder.  I assume you are using the mag that come with the gun.  When did you buy the gun?  Sounds like a huge QC issue.  Where did you purchase it from.  Not sure if you can get a replacement at this point with the sanctions.  I have had AK47 mags get that tight Yugo mags.  It sounds like the mag catch needs adjusted.

I removed my mag catch recently and filed it down to match my other VEPR12.  I was able to do without removing the mag well.  I did have a hell of a time getting the mag catch pin out though.

Factory 5 round magazine with the gun.  I purchased it 3 weeks ago. The mag works fine now that I lightly filed it.  I only own one mag, so until I buy more (hopefully a drum) it won't matter.