George Orwell was a visionary genius.  He just got the year wrong.

Care to guess which political views will be judged "suspicious" and "false"?  Anybody?

And obviously this sort of "profiling" has been going on for a long time.  It's just the brazenness of it that astounds.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/08/26/feds-creating-database-to-track-hate-speech-on-twitter/

Feds creating database to track hate speech on Twitter

The federal government is spending nearly $1 million to create an online database that will track “misinformation” and hate speech on Twitter.

The National Science Foundation is financing the creation of a web service that will monitor “suspicious memes” and what it considers “false and misleading ideas,” with a major focus on political activity online.

The “Truthy” database, created by researchers at Indiana University, is designed to “detect political smears, astroturfing, misinformation, and other social pollution.”

The university has received $919,917 so far for the project.

“The project stands to benefit both the research community and the public significantly,” the grant states. “Our data will be made available via [application programming interfaces] APIs and include information on meme propagation networks, statistical data, and relevant user and content features.”

“The open-source platform we develop will be made publicly available and will be extensible to ever more research areas as a greater preponderance of human activities are replicated online,” it continues. “Additionally, we will create a web service open to the public for monitoring trends, bursts, and suspicious memes.”

“This service could mitigate the diffusion of false and misleading ideas, detect hate speech and subversive propaganda, and assist in the preservation of open debate,” the grant said.

Yes, that's right.  A database designed to harass and intimidate those who don't toe the leftist line is intended to assist in the preservation of open debate.  You can't make this shit up.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 3

People ask me why I don't participate in social media....^THIS! What amazes me is people voluntarily submit to it. It is much more subtle than George could have foreseen. It's just like when the Wireless Communications Act of 1999 was passed. I didn't agree with it and my colleagues thought I was anti safety...This weekend this was published http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/for-sale-systems-that-can-secretly-track-where-cellphone-users-go-around-the-globe/2014/08/24/f0700e8a-f003-11e3-bf76-447a5df6411f_story.html

I saw on the news the other day that the Government wants to pass a law that all new cars track speed and direction, couple that with the new wifi hotspot push in cars....You think that is by chance. I can see it now 5-10 years down the road...you go over the speed limit your cars reports you, they confirm it's you driving by cell phone location and you get a ticket via FB, text, and twitter....Don't get me wrong I'm not anti tech....its feeds my family due to the industry I am in, but just because we can do something doesn't mean we should.

This is just the tip of the iceberg......

Edited by sccritterkiller
  • Like 7

This is the kind of shit that makes me wish an emp wiped the slate clean... as much as i love technology its quite apparent its being turned against the common citizen in any effort to suppress resistance to the powers in charge. I'm fuckin sick of this obliteration of our constitutional rights!

• Like 1

This is the kind of shit that makes me wish an emp wiped the slate clean... as much as i love technology its quite apparent its being turned against the common citizen in any effort to suppress resistance to the powers in charge. I'm fuckin sick of this obliteration of our constitutional rights!

I am always wishing an EMP would wipe out everything electronic. Spent a week in Haiti with no electricity, no phone, hardly any running water. It is the happiest and at the most peace I have ever been. Then again the irony is none of us would be talking right now. :)

• Like 1

Get your mileage with a pulled plug while you can.  Eventually, every insurance company will require these devices be connected.  Just like the Allstate "safe driver' program.  "just install this little box in your car, and you can get a discount for safe driving!!!!!!"  Its all leading in that direction.  

In another 100yrs, I wouldnt be surprised if everyone was required to have a phone, for more reasons than just communication.

I wouldnt be surprised if everyone was required to have a phone, for more reasons than just communication.

I think that's part of the big push with the Obama phone's....a disguise to monitor the "proles".

And that is exactly why lots of phones have non-removable batteries now. Even if you shut it "off", they can turn on certain prices of it like GPS, camera and microphone.

Many corporations issue smart 'phones to their field employees. These are used to track their employees 24/7. If you are in this situation, get a small metal candy box, and keep the company 'phone in it when you are off the clock.

Many corporations issue smart 'phones to their field employees. These are used to track their employees 24/7. If you are in this situation, get a small metal candy box, and keep the company 'phone in it when you are off the clock.

Never throw out MW they are still useful even if they dont work as intended.

I'm about ready to put myself in a candy box.  Hell, the guys in the black SUV's will probably put me in one first.  My web searches are gonna get me disappeared. tinfoilhat.gif 010.gif electric_shock.gif