Some of you guys know that one of my hobbies is building and painting historical military miniatures.

This is my latest work. A bit a a departure from the more modern figures I've been doing lately.

This figure depicts a soldier with Morgan's Rifleman in 1777. It's a kit from Michael Robert's Ltd. in 120mm scale.

post-15138-0-81893400-1409247380_thumb.jpg

post-15138-0-58228200-1409247395.jpg

• Like 8

You do great work.  I use to compete in the IPMS contest's around the country, until I found out that IPMS actually stood for Intentionally Piss and Moan Society.  I have been building models since I was a kid and enjoyed it alot.  Haven't touched one in a while, had quite a collection of models, until the ex wife and the IRS got hold of them.  Anyway, that is very nice work.  It is metal?  The tree looks great, and your shading techique is really, really good.  Well done Sir. 

Edited by sjgusmc21
  • Like 1

I use to love the smell of resin.  I am sure it has progressed quite a bit sine the last time I messed with it.  I remember all the air bubbles...what a PITA to fill them.  I would think that at a minimum the musket would be metal.  And thank you for sharing!  Figures to me, was ALWAS the hardest.  Those damn eyes....:)

• Like 1

Very nice, Dave. Is that just a hobby or do you sell your work, too?

Just a hobby so far Tool. But I am saving up for a Savage Model 10 in .308 and had the thought that these might help that along if I can find a way to market them.

Thanks again to all my forum brothers for the kind words and encouragement.

Just a hobby so far Tool. But I am saving up for a Savage Model 10 in .308 and had the thought that these might help that along if I can find a way to market them.

How about in the "for sale" section? I have no idea what you would charge, but I would certainly be interested.

• Like 1

Honestly, if you wanted to sell them, I would do it on ebay.  Yes, yes, I know, but your audience if vast and huge.  Fleabay really pisses me off as a Seller, as a buyer it is great.  I'am sure you know what I am talking about.

• Like 2

How about in the "for sale" section? I have no idea what you would charge, but I would certainly be interested.

Never thought about that. I would certainly want to check with Max first.

The base kits sell between $30 and $60 or there a-bouts and each one involves approx 40 hours of paint time.

I know there are guys that do these on commission and charge around $300-$400.00 per for the larger 120mm kits like I do.

That makes for a pretty small hourly rate but its really not about the money.

Then there is also the issue of shipping. Some of these kits can be pretty fragile.

I'm thinking about approaching one of my LGS that also sells some collectable firearms and curios to see if they would be interested in displaying and or selling them.

Right now it is still just a hobby that combines my interest in history, firearms and painting and offers a quiet break to an otherwise noisy world.

I'm flattered by your interest. PM me if you would like to learn more about the types of kits that are available.

• Like 2

That quality of work takes some serious talent and diligence! Very nice job. How many times have you painted a specific point.. thought that does look quite right, redid it, repeat, etc? For someone OCD, completing the model above would be akin to torture. You must have the patience of Job my friend!

• Like 1

That quality of work takes some serious talent and diligence! Very nice job. How many times have you painted a specific point.. thought that does look quite right, redid it, repeat, etc? For someone OCD, completing the model above would be akin to torture. You must have the patience of Job my friend!

Not so much scrubbing and restarting as I need to do a little more to make it right.

The hardest part of any art project is knowing when it's done and to leave it the fuck alone.

thanks for the compliments!

Edited by DaveM
  • Like 3

Yikes! I for one would be afraid of going to bed at night. That guy will certainly come to life, jump down, cross the various floors, take up a tactical position somewhere within range of sleeping me.....then plug me!! Excellent work by the way. Are you considering "distressing it"? You know, adding dirt and stuff. HB of CJ (old coot) smile.png

• Like 1

I love it Dave. I do similar shit.

I had a grandad that fought in WWII, and while he was in France, he took out a German sniper. He loved the work I did with this hobby. Its mostly WWII figures. Well for his 84th Bday, I made him a 1/6th scale figure of a German Sniper. It may have been in bad taste for many, but he loved it. He especially loved it when I made a 82nd All American figure to go with it, which he was.

post-32793-0-77809800-1409361042_thumb.jpg

post-32793-0-27387000-1409361055_thumb.jpg

post-32793-0-99785300-1409361064_thumb.jpg

Then theres the Boots.

These are actually 1/6th scale Airborne boots from the period.

post-32793-0-65843000-1409361103_thumb.jpg

post-32793-0-12351700-1409361513_thumb.jpg

Great Hobby Dave. Keep up the good work brother!!!

Edited by Captain Hero
  • Like 4

When I see someone's work like yours I can't help but question my caffeine intake. My hands were never steady enough for anything remotely close to that level of detail and I did most of my work in 3.75" scale. Did a few small figures, enough to know that you have outstanding talent and patients.

• Like 1

This thread is all kinds of win. Too many have forgotten the sacrifices of our fathers, grandfathers, and great grandfathers. No one cared about what they personally went through, No one talked about PSD. They were expected to re-integrate with society, and they did, often with greatness by the character they learned in combat, and defending their brother next to them. Whether those who served in the Revolutionary War, who secured the founding of our Constitution, or those, who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan, defending it still today, you all deserve our utmost respect, honor, and appreciation.

Edited by Spacehog
  • Like 7

This thread is all kinds of win. Too many have forgotten the sacrifices of our fathers, grandfathers, and great grandfathers. No one cared about what they personally went through, No one talked about PSD. They were expected to re-integrate with society, and they did, often with greatness by the character they learned in combat, and defending their brother next to them. Whether those who served in the Revolutionary War, who secured the founding of our Constitution, or those, who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan, defending it still today, you all deserve our utmost respect, honor, and appreciation.

I agree brother.

• Like 1