Anyone have one of these?  It was one of the first guns I learned how to shoot on.  My Dad got one when he was a kid.

He died in December and today would have been his 64th birthday. 

When we were teens my brother decided to give it a deep clean, and it never worked since.  My brother gets back from Afghanistan in Nov/Dec and we've been talking about teaching our own kids to shoot.  I thought getting it back to working order would be a cool welcome home gift.  I've seen some youtube vids so I think this Fall I'll give it a go.

Anyone else have one of these gems?

It shouldn't be too hard to get it running.  I hope you do.  First rifles are very special.

I just bought a Marlin Glenfield Model 60 which was made in 79, the same year I bought my first Model 60.  It seems like such a long time ago, and yet it still seems like yesterday.

If I had a chance to get that original rifle back I would pay a lot.

• Like 1

If I'm reading this right.. Jim is a legit firearms business owner and has experience with the rifle you want repaired....

Match made in Heaven?*

*I have no affiliation with Jim or his business... I was not paid for this idea and am not responsible for any negative outcome from the introduction of this concept. I will gladly take credit for all positive outcomes though.

I have a Mohawk brown one downstairs in the gunroom somewhere, got it for $100 a few years back because the original owner sprayed it down with lube and it was really gummed up.  I did a detail strip on it ONCE (and only once :eek: ) to get it up and running again. :wacko::angry:

There is actually a gunsmithing school out in the Midwest somewhere where they used to give you a stripped down Nylon 66 to reassemble.  If you get it together again and it functions, you automatically graduate the gunsmithing course.   I shit you not (well, unless you're caught poking the instructors wife or he just hates your punk ass somehow). :lol:

I have *.pdf files (and the actual J.B. Wood article to Xerox) on how to go about dis/re/assembling these things if you would want them. :up:

• Like 2

I have a Mohawk brown one downstairs in the gunroom somewhere, got it for $100 a few years back because the original owner sprayed it down with lube and it was really gummed up.  I did a detail strip on it ONCE (and only once 015.gif ) to get it up and running again. wacko.pngmad.gif

There is actually a gunsmithing school out in the Midwest somewhere where they used to give you a stripped down Nylon 66 to reassemble.  If you get it together again and it functions, you automatically graduate the gunsmithing course.   I shit you not (well, unless you're caught poking the instructors wife or he just hates your punk ass somehow). laugh.png

I have *.pdf files (and the actual J.B. Wood article to Xerox) on how to go about dis/re/assembling these things if you would want them. 032.gif

Thanks for the offer.  I found a couple youtube videos that I'm going to start with but if I don't get anywhere I may ask you to share.  Thanks!

My dad has one. It has had a bore sight stuck in the bore for several years. He was at the range with me sighting it in, and fired three shots with the bore sight still in place.

It wouldn't come out clamped in a bench vise, haven't tried again since. May need to heat the barrel up.

• Like 1

It's a great little plinker and a collectable cult status rifle. You can find all the parts you need online. Probably don't even need parts, just proper assembly.

Post some photos when you get her running! They're as much fun as the automatic bb guns at the fair!

• Like 2

I have one that I bought in the PX at Ft Leonard Wood in 1968. Shoots well, but I haven't shot it in about 30 years. The Nylon 66 was Mohawk Brown, and tube magazine under the barrel. There was also a magazine fed version, called the Nylon 77, in Apache Black.

• Like 1

It's a great little plinker and a collectable cult status rifle. You can find all the parts you need online. Probably don't even need parts, just proper assembly.

Be careful with the barrel clamp (I think it's called?).  It's made out of some kind of pot metal aluminum, and cracks very easily if overtorqued (don't ask me how I know that rolleyes.gif ).  The screw that holds it in has a slot on it that fits a dime perfectly (hint, hint).  I don't think Numrich even lists the part anymore after I apparently was forced to buy the last one. laugh.png

Edited by Gaddis

I got one,  it has the green stock.  Used the you tube video to take it all apart and clean it up last winter.  It is a great shooting 22lr.  Will shoot anything you feed it and is pretty accurate.  I use it as my farm gun,  keep it on a tractor in a shotgun scabbard.  I really like the gun,  have shot a ton of ground hogs with it.  Bought the gun of a brother in law about 35 years ago for about $30,  he wanted drinking money.  Did not know then how good of a 22 it was.     

• Like 1

The first one I ever worked on came mostly in a bag and had a cracked barrel clamp. I had never even seen one before. I repaired the barrel clamp (welded it), got it back together after figuring out everything was really there, and it ran. After two more coming to me mostly disassembled with missing parts, I decided to stop messing with them. I'm not fond of them, but I understand the sentimental thing and wish you well on it.  

• Like 1

I have one that I bought in the PX at Ft Leonard Wood in 1968. Shoots well, but I haven't shot it in about 30 years. The Nylon 66 was Mohawk Brown, and tube magazine under the barrel. There was also a magazine fed version, called the Nylon 77, in Apache Black.

I had a Nylon 77 in green when I was a boy.  I loved it, light weight and accurate, but it jammed 2 out of 10 shots so I traded it for my first AR.

Bought one off of gunbroker for my boy so he could learn it deal with it and wouldn't you know it, it doesn't jam.

Edited by Racer 27
  • Like 1

I gave my Dad this Nylon 66 years ago. He passed in 1988 and I took over ownership. I detail cleaned it a year or two ago. Had so much fun with him and this rifle that I found sand and all kinds of crap in there. Not too tough if you pay attention.

post-3915-0-11301300-1409629423_thumb.jpg

remington_66.pdf

Edited by 1911
  • Like 3

I gave my Dad this Nylon 66 years ago. He passed in 1988 and I took over ownership. I detail cleaned it a year or two ago. Had so much fun with him and this rifle that I found sand and all kinds of crap in there. Not too tough if you pay attention.

attachicon.gifIMG_2692.JPG

attachicon.gifremington_66.pdf

I couldn't believe the amount of filth and grit I found in there. Up until the point my brother put it back together wrong it never jammed. All that filth kinda made me happy thinking about all of the times I shot it with my brother and the fun my dad and uncle must have had with it.  I hope my son and nephew feel the same way in 30 years. 

• Like 1

I've got a Mohawk Brown Nylon-66 in the safe that I bought in 1969. I haven't shot it in decades, reading all this thread makes want to get it out and run a couple of mag tubes full of scarce 22LR through it!

Do it bubba! You can always get some more .22lr. What you can't get is the missed time to have fun with something that you loved enough to hang onto since 1969. If I have a chance to shoot with one of my kids I don't pass it up. Ammo can be replaced but shooting time with them is precious to me. :) 

I've got a Mohawk Brown Nylon-66 in the safe that I bought in 1969. I haven't shot it in decades, reading all this thread makes want to get it out and run a couple of mag tubes full of scarce 22LR through it!

Do it bubba! You can always get some more .22lr. What you can't get is the missed time to have fun with something that you loved enough to hang onto since 1969. If I have a chance to shoot with one of my kids I don't pass it up. Ammo can be replaced but shooting time with them is precious to me. smile.png

Done! I dug it out of the safe, loaded up 15 Federal bulk hollow points and shot it out the back door on my 25 yard back yard range! I forgot how crisp the plastic trigger was (for what it is) and it cycled through them like the first time I fired it at 17! Nice little gun.  Thanks for the prodding!big_smile.gif

• Like 3