030 Saiga Magwell Compatible Mags

I rushed to get a Saiga before all the already imported ones went away. I ended up getting an IZ-433 030 from Legion only to now find out non-magwell mags don't work with it.

Is there any way to modify normal mags to work with a 030 type? It seems you can use Vepr Mags but I was really hoping to use the stamped metal ones that just came out for Saigas.

I could really use any info or advice you guys could provide, I never realized that this would all become so complicated.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pop the feed lips off to avoid hitting them with a file.

Calm down.    Getting your gun up to 922® compliant is not hard.    You can use any magazine designed for the 030 or V12 magwells.  You just need to fit them to your gun.  That can be accomplished

Welcome to the headache-inducing world of home firearms modification. This disease is typically infectious, progressive, and incurable.

Posted Images

Thank you. I forgot that I was talking to you [guys?] in my hunting thread. I really love your product because it doesn't look as childish to me as a lot of plastic mags look. I really hope that the Vepr-12 ones will be able to fit a Saiga 030 with a reasonable amount of poking.

I really feel in over my head with all this.

There are some photos I posted here somewhere on the board for how to convert VEPR-12 mags for use in a the Legion 030 magwells. It's not hard. It takes maybe 2 minutes with a dremel tool and they are good to go. There are also some SGM mags that work fine without modification.

I'll see if I can find that link.

EDIT: Below is the link. Go to message #13 that I posted that shows the modification I did for a VPR-12 mag to work in a Legion 030 magwell Saiga.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/93013-best-magazine-for-saiga-12/?hl=mr_22&do=findComment&comment=967052

Edited by MR_22

So basically you just bend that latch up slightly? I can see the gap with light going through it on the converted one but i don't quite know the process that caused this effect

Don't bend the latch. Take material off the underside of the rear locking lug of the V12 magazine. Study that pic MR22 posted in the linked thread.

Oh, so you basically are cutting a slot in it? I still don't have any mags except the one it came with, but I'm still going to have to know what things I can modify and how to do it.

But if its just cutting that think slit there I'm guessing even if I can't I could ask someone more manually dexterous than I am to do it. Would you say its a hard thing to do and has a high risk of ruining the mag beyond salvage?

4a2a1f8a8deb89f4094cfeade2ef4de7_zpsd4dc

Or, file the magazine lug.

Sunnybean, when you filed the latch did your saiga police mags have a little more vertical play?

Edited: JDeko, to get your 030 to run molot/sgm V12 magazines you can either file the bottom of the rear lug on the magazine or file the latch on your 030. Which is better comes down to how comfortable you are with a file. In my case I have a lot of OEM Izzy mags. I filed the few molot mags I have.

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

It's reassuring to see I am not the only one pulling hairs trying to figure out a sensible option. I know that there have been people modifying the AGS Magazines to work in the 030, but what I am wondering is can that same process be followed for the SGM magazines that are in decent supply? IIRC basically the mags were sanded on the outside and the front nub was taken off the mag so it would clear the magwell. I know that it is certainly harder in practice (from fitting repro SVT-40 mags) but the idea is fairly sound right?

I'd like to keep my magwell if possible instead of removing it and bolting on that bit of metal as suggested by another member of our sister forum. http://www.vepr.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=253

It's reassuring to see I am not the only one pulling hairs trying to figure out a sensible option. I know that there have been people modifying the AGS Magazines to work in the 030, but what I am wondering is can that same process be followed for the SGM magazines that are in decent supply? IIRC basically the mags were sanded on the outside and the front nub was taken off the mag so it would clear the magwell. I know that it is certainly harder in practice (from fitting repro SVT-40 mags) but the idea is fairly sound right?

I'd like to keep my magwell if possible instead of removing it and bolting on that bit of metal as suggested by another member of our sister forum. http://www.vepr.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=253

SGM Vepr12 magazines is the easiest answer. I must also add that I modified a CSSpecs V12 mag to work on a 030/040. It was an extensive modification but it latches up perfectly, activates the LRBHO, and drops free. Mike and I will have a discussion this week to see if he can tweek his design. I also should have a tutorial posted within a weeks time. So my point is, there are options. Be patient with CSSpecs as they are quality mags, it just that you have to file the fuck out of the V12 mag to get them to fit.

Is the fuck-filing process fool proof because I drool like a schoolgirl over those CSSpecs metal mags. I actually really enjoy sanding wood, like if there was a job that just involved hand-sanding rough wood with sand paper I'd be tossing people infront of buses to get said job.

Anyway, I mean to say that if its just filing nearly endlessly until it fits and the LRBHO engages and there isn't a chance I'll destroy the thing by herping when I should've derp'd I'd love that method.

Also, those tutorials will be highly appreciated.

Is the fuck-filing process fool proof because I drool like a schoolgirl over those CSSpecs metal mags. I actually really enjoy sanding wood, like if there was a job that just involved hand-sanding rough wood with sand paper I'd be tossing people infront of buses to get said job.

Anyway, I mean to say that if its just filing nearly endlessly until it fits and the LRBHO engages and there isn't a chance I'll destroy the thing by herping when I should've derp'd I'd love that method.

Also, those tutorials will be highly appreciated.

The tools I used were a small file, dremel with grinding stone, and a sharpie. I am sure anyone can do it without fucking it up. Like I mentioned earlier, give me some time this week to get up a tutorial. Just know that even if CSSpecs doesn't modify their V12 mag design you do have options. I guess that was the point in bringing this up.

So basically you just bend that latch up slightly? I can see the gap with light going through it on the converted one but i don't quite know the process that caused this effect

Don't bend the latch. Take material off the underside of the rear locking lug of the V12 magazine. Study that pic MR22 posted in the linked thread.

Exactly. You need to file/grind off part of the lip that the magazine latch catches on to hold the magazine in place. It's not very hard, but keep trying it until it locks, so you don't remove too much material. I can convert a VEPR-12 magazine in about 2 minutes now--and that's if I take my time. :) I have converted 4 of the VEPR-12 5-rounders. They work great. Compare the two VEPR-12 magazines in the photo I posted. These are the same magazines, but one is converted and one is not.

I like the smaller 5-round mags for most of my shooting. I'll fill the 10-rounders that I got from HighPlainsDrifter only occasionally. I also have a 12-round VEPR-12 SGM mag, which I haven't converted yet. I haven't decided if I really want a 12-rounder for my Saiga, so I've held off on that one. LOL.

I think you might need to do some MS Paint circling of the changes, Mr.22 as I still only see the slot that light is now passing through as opposed to any filing having been done.

Does this help?

The shiny area below the modified section is where I hit the metal instead of just plastic--it's not necessary to grind the metal down here, but it's hard to miss it. The modified version has the lip filed down at an angle, whereas the original lip is almost perpendicular to the magazine body. You need to make it slanted toward the feeding area of the magazine for the 030 latch to catch it. It's a subtle difference that's hard to see if you're not looking closely.

I recommend removing only a little material at a time, then trying it in your Saiga until it locks in tight. Removing too much of the plastic material could be bad and might lead to a loose magazine (I haven't done that, so I'm just guessing that).

post-49166-0-13294300-1409680069_thumb.jpg

Edited by MR_22