030 Saiga Magwell Compatible Mags

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pop the feed lips off to avoid hitting them with a file.

Calm down.    Getting your gun up to 922® compliant is not hard.    You can use any magazine designed for the 030 or V12 magwells.  You just need to fit them to your gun.  That can be accomplished

Welcome to the headache-inducing world of home firearms modification. This disease is typically infectious, progressive, and incurable.

Posted Images

That Forend is pretty sweet, if I could get a matching SVD wood stock i'd be in heaven!

Unfortunately if you have a 030 and it would not be an easy mod. It would also look kinda strang with your fsb/gas block combo. I would stick with the original handguard or install all wood furniture on your build. You are not going to find much as in after market furniture that works for your 030. I have dinzags '74 brake and bayo lug available for a good price. It's an easy install and would look great with wood furniture.

A bayonet on an S12 looks really sweet...

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

yeah, I've heard mixed messages if you can fit Ironwood S12 furniture on a 030. When I called Legion the person I got said it would work but the Ironwood folks said it would not. Only SVD stock I know of is Rhineland but a lot of people hate them. I guess I gotta hope my extended family member can make the parts.

yeah, I've heard mixed messages if you can fit Ironwood S12 furniture on a 030. When I called Legion the person I got said it would work but the Ironwood folks said it would not. Only SVD stock I know of is Rhineland but a lot of people hate them. I guess I gotta hope my extended family member can make the parts.

Black Horse Arsenal had what you are looking for. Buyer beware! Do not put in a preorder with them. Only buy in stock items and use a credit card. Last year they had issues filling orders. I believe one of the partners had health issues. They are in the process of turning things around. This is all second hand information...

Edited: As for ironwood or any wood for that matter I would not worry as the stock will mount up just fine. The hand guard will have to be modified but you already said your comfortable using sand paper. Take matterial off the inner hanguard and it will mount right up. Also consider using a RPK handguard.

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

OK, I finally got out with the Herter's 00-Buck with my Legion 030 Saiga-12 with the 10-round SGM mags. MUCH BETTER. Now I'm happy! The Herter's 00-Buck was 100% with the 10-round SMG magazine, in which the Spartan Buck was about 80%. The Spartan still works great at 100% in the VEPR-12 5-rounders, but I didn't try the Herter's in those.

The Herter's has higher brass and the shells is just a tad bit longer, as you can see in the photo. It's actually a bit taller--it's not a trick of the camera angle. I'm wondering if the SGM mags like the slightly longer shell or if it's just the higher brass. I dunno, but I'm liking the Herter's, at least for the SGM's!

post-49166-0-67199400-1410672715_thumb.jpg

Edited by MR_22

OK, I finally got out with the Herter's 00-Buck with my Legion 030 Saiga-12 with the 10-round SGM mags. MUCH BETTER. Now I'm happy! The Herter's 00-Buck was 100% with the 10-round SMG magazine, in which the Spartan Buck was about 80%. The Spartan still works great at 100% in the VEPR-12 5-rounders, but I didn't try the Herter's in those.

The Herter's has higher brass and the shells is just a tad bit longer, as you can see in the photo. It's actually a bit taller--it's not a trick of the camera angle. I'm wondering if the SGM mags like the slightly longer shell or if it's just the higher brass. I dunno, but I'm liking the Herter's, at least for the SGM's!

Damn, I was hoping that the spartan would work nicely since it's got such a killer price online and seemed to be shorter than the RIO 00 buck. How much did a box of herter's run you?

Damn, I was hoping that the spartan would work nicely since it's got such a killer price online and seemed to be shorter than the RIO 00 buck. How much did a box of herter's run you?

I got a bunch of the Spartan as well. I bought a case of 250 rounds awhile back. It still works great in my S-12 with 5-round mags and other shotguns. And your experience with the SGM mags might be different. The Spartan does shoot pretty well.

I got 100 rounds of the Herter's 00-Buck from a Cabelas online sale last week, which included a plastic ammo box, all for $49, with free shipping, too. I thought that was pretty good. It's fairly inexpensive stuff and works well. I'll be buying some more next time I need more instead of the Spartan.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Ammunition/Bulk-Ammunition%7C/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/106633080/Herters-Defense-Shotshells-with-Dry-Box/1706750.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/bulk-ammunition/_/N-1104709/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_106633080?WTz_l=SBC;BRprd753211;cat104691780&WTz_l=SBC;BRprd753211;cat104691780;cat106633080&avad=48247_b7120bbd&WT.mc_id=al35987&rid=12&WT.tsrc=AFF

Edited by MR_22

Black Horse Arsenal had what you are looking for. Buyer beware! Do not put in a preorder with them. Only buy in stock items and use a credit card. Last year they had issues filling orders. I believe one of the partners had health issues. They are in the process of turning things around. This is all second hand information...

Edited: As for ironwood or any wood for that matter I would not worry as the stock will mount up just fine. The hand guard will have to be modified but you already said your comfortable using sand paper. Take matterial off the inner hanguard and it will mount right up. Also consider using a RPK handguard.

Yes watch out for those guys...

A standard AK wood HG will work but it will take a lot more than just a little sand paper. You will need to hog out a LOT of material so I suggest a milling machine, drill press with end mill at least, or as this thread shows in post #12 it can be done with a dremel and very aggressive (50 grit) sanding drum or a rotary rasp followed with sanding drum.

Have fun. 

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/5178-cobras-aks-12-conversion-details/

• 1 month later...

that and i heard of modding a 030 to be rock and lock, how does one do that and is it a good idea?

Hmm. Well, the original Saiga-12 was modded to add the 030 magwell, so why would you go back? I really like the insert-and-lock 030 magwell. I have a Yugo AK-47 with rock-n-lock and I don't hate it, but I sure like my Saiga-12 better. If you don't like the magwell, why wouldn't you just get a different type of conversion?

I couldn't find any of the faux Dragunov Saigas plus I didn't know about all the mags the magwells exclude me from being able to use. Plus converting a plain old 109 to have an AK style front like the 030 costs hundreds of dollars.

I'm just trying to figure out my options to move forward, I've sort of realized how much more I really have to learn.

Sure, That makes sense. Just make sure you are still 922R compliant. I WOULD love to try the 20-round SGM drum, but I'm planning to get the 25-round VEPR-12 drum, when it becomes available, and then convert it for use in my Saiga-12. So, you do make a valid point.

I use SGM mags and converted VEPR-12 mags, so I've got plenty to use.

well i still have to convert my FCG because its in the 'sporter' position and I have a feeling I'll be getting an STG-47 set of wood furniture from Ironwood for Christmas. That's 5 parts right there with the conversion parts and I can switch out the puck incase I get someone who thinks the thread protector is a 'muzzle attachment'. Then I'll be compliant no matter what.

You should be good, then. I'm currently in the process acquiring parts to build a PPS-43 rifle in 7.62x25. I have to worry about the 922R compliance because I'm building it out as a rifle from a pistol parts kit; but with the barrel and FCG parts I've ordered, I should be OK, I think.

It's funny, but the original trigger assembly in my PPS-43 parts kit doesn't even have a hammer or traditional sear, as the parts I have are for fully-automatic open-bolt slam firing with a static firing pin. So you HAVE to convert the FCG to semi-auto with a hammer to even be legal. O the fun of dealing with U.S. gun laws....! :(

Edited by MR_22

i guess my Saiga doesn't even have a sear? At least it doesn't count towards 922r compliance

I'm sure it does have a sear, since it's semi-automatic. The fully-auto PPS-43 trigger merely blocks the slide from returning. Pull the trigger and the bolt slams forward and fires the round, then the recoil sends it back and unless you release the trigger to block the bolt from returning to fire another round, the bolt just keeps cycling. Very, VERY simply design, yet rather ingenious.

• 5 weeks later...

What stores? [New to this.]

Atlantic has them for $99 dollars but I can't say as I've seen them at Gander Mountain.

I was just picking on the unknowing, having a little fun with ya. Lol.

Atlantic has them listed but they are not available. SGM has never released them even though they've said they're "right around the corner", for quite some time now.

• Like 1

Online stores have had the VEPR-12 drum listed as coming out soon since about April or May. The latest word is that it will be out late December. I hope this will be the last delay.

BTW, these will not work in the Saiga-12 with the magwell without modification, but the mod isn't hard. I use modified VEPR-12 mags in my Saiga 030 all of the time. They work great if you "fix" them. :) I plan to "fix" a VEPR-12 drum as soon as I can get one.

I was asking because of the whole "Break your Saiga in with at least 50 High Brass Shells" thing I've seen all over the interwebs. Sadly due to my current employment difficulties I can't really go to the range and didn't want to foul up my gun when I go try to shoot some... fowl.

• 8 months later...

Y'okay, I'm finally in a place where I can by hi-cap mags! Is there anywhere that still has the Legion-compatible 8/10/12 rounders for sale right now and/or is there an ice cube's chance in Hell the store here will be getting more?