Someone please educate me on Romanian PSL rifles

There was a US company making adjustable gas blocks for the PSL which would allow it to run commercial/heavy ball 54r. No idea if still in production.

I wonder where the .308 PSL imports are? I have never actually seen one, but I don't doubt that they exist, especially since Cugir is moving most of their designs to NATO calibers in hopes of securing export contracts.

I would think that these are much more likely to reach the shores now that Saigas and VEPRs are under sanctions, but one has to ask, "Why were the x54 PSLs discontinued from exportation/importation to begin with?" They have been gone for a while.

You want a PSL with the intact bayo lug.

Be sure the mags match, or will cycle the rounds. This is a common problem.

Be sure to get several mags.

Check for barrel pitting. With corrosive ammo, cleaning them is important

Be sure the side scope rail will mount an optic. some factory marked receivers side rails can be unfinished and wont mount a scope. 

Even though these were never full auto, be sure the 3rd hole is NOT present. 3rd hole is for a safety on a PSL/still not legal.

Bottom cap on grip part of buttstock can be missing. This is an inexpensive part, but difficult to find.

Look for one with a screw on flash hider. The pinned ones are a PITA.

MANCAT: Your thinking of Dez Arms for that gas block. I believe they are out of stock.

FWIW, I still wont run heavy ball through either of mine.

I personally think the difference between a $800 PSL and a $1600 PSL is all in the details, condition, and proper accessories.

hope that helps

Local LGS just got in two PSLs for their collection of historical rifles. Neither are officially for sale, but I like them and have considered offering a trade to pick one up. The issue I have is:

1) I do not know how to tell a good one from bad, apart from inspecting the bore, rifling, etc. Are there any issues to look for in particular?

2) I have had difficulty gauging a fair price. Looking at what they are going for on Armslist and GB ranges from 900 to 1800.

Looking to possibly trade a high end AR build straight up, but I would place that build at 1200-1300 dollars in a gun shop.

Any guidance from those who own one would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Like 1

It's my understanding that a bayo lug means us built-us barrel. I demil will have bayo lugs ground off and brake pinned for importation. The us built ones are not chrome lined which may lead to the "pitted barrel" comment in the next sentence.

I personally think the difference between a $800 PSL and a $1600 PSL is all in the details, condition, and proper accessories.

I personally think the difference between a $800 PSL and a $1600 PSL is that $800 PSLs exist.

• Like 1

I have the factory bayo lug on mine. It has an original barrel.

As far as pitting goes, most all the surplus is corrosive. That's also why I suggested a screw on flash hider version.

It's easier to clean.

$800 PSL rifles are the problem child's or bubba's. If you can find a good rifle for sale at that price, grab it.