Most effective muzzle brake for taming recoil?

I have a Saiga 7.62x39 with 16" barrel. The recoil isn't bad for me, a little snappy, but not bad. I am trying to get my wife and daughter into shooting, and figured the Saiga would be a little more reasonable than my Mosins or Vepr in .308. Looking to find out what is the most effective STYLE brake. I see slotted AR styles, AK74/Krink styles, Tapco top slotted styles, and others with holes all over. Looking for the least amount of recoil possible. Thanks for any suggestions.

**OFF TOPIC**

OP your profile pic looks an awful lot like the first car i ever owned an '87 Honda CRX Si!!! I loved that car

I always loved those cars, never owned one. How cool was that little window in the back, I always wanted one.
  • Like 1

Look at the Venom Antidote, BattleComp, or PWS FSC-47. Those three are widely accepted as the best, and in that order. The first two are $200, the third is $100. Having shot them all, I picked the FSC-47 for flash suppression as well as effectiveness for cost. If you want the very least recoil, get an Antidote or BattleComp. But an FSC-47 will get you close, for $100 less.

• Like 2

A quick note- if you get the comp, it's going to be considerably louder.  For a first time shooter that might be a bit of a turn off.  For flash hiders my favorite is the Smith Vortex.

I love my PWS FSC-47; comp and flash suppression in one neat $100 package. 

• Like 1

There is a small outfit that makes a "Tactical Tri-Delta" muzzle brake.  About the size of an A2 flash hider.  It comes in 14x1mmL, for 7.62x39 cal, 1/2x28 for 223, and 5/8x24 for 300 BLK and 7.62x51 Nato.  I used one on a 300BLK M4gery and it works awesome!  I ordered the 14x1L version and threading my Saiga barrel for it. I am also going to get the 223 version for my 5.56 M4gey build. The 14x1 L version is on sale for $28.50 with free shipping. The 1/2x28 5.56 and .308 58/24 versions are $38.50

https://www.custommuzzlebrakes.com/#!/~/product/category=10112104&id=38434451

PS:  It is American made and counts as 1 922R US made part.

Edited by imarangemaster

Thank you guys. Looking into all suggestions.

**OFF TOPIC**

OP your profile pic looks an awful lot like the first car i ever owned an '87 Honda CRX Si!!! I loved that car

It is the Autoart 1/18 model of my exact car. I have a 1985 Honda CRX Si. Well, will have had. Might be going thru a divorce here soon so the car may go. Honestly, I'd rather keep the car, LOL.

I have a nice collection of muzzle brakes never having paid more than $50. for any of them. Best cheap and light brake as supported by tests on You Tube the Tapco slant brake, under $20. , very light and short. Best muzzle control the Shark brake, usually under $35. on E Bay.

If the difference between a $20. brake and a $100. one is 1 to 3% it's a waste in my book to pay the extra $, buy more ammo. Best brake from the experts the SRVV Jet Russian brake for $85. + shipping at Circle 10 AK.

Just my 2 cents.

An AMD-65 bralke is a great brake, BUT DAMN LOUD!  Basically in 24mm limited to AK103 type, or Krinkov type with the cone on the end.  I have a 24mm Krink one in my stuff.

I have an AMD-65 brake. Yeah...It's LOUD. Works well though. It's got a hell of a muzzle blast, especially under a canopy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I tried the M16A1 style.  It was an awesome flash hider.  The Krebs may work well as both MB and FH.  My favorite, though, is still the Tactical Tri-Delta brake.  With it and a Buffer technologies recoil buffer, it shoots really smooth.  I know some folks pooh-pooh recoil buffers on AKs, saying "it wasn't designed with one by Kalashnikov, so it doesn't need it."  maybe it doesn't need it, but why beat it up.  FALs, G3/HK91s, ARs, all have rubber recoil buffers for a reason.  It helps lessen wear and tear on the weapon..

Edited by imarangemaster
  • Like 1

I picked up a used AMD-65 brake, it works but it's loud and very heavy.

Al the brakes are flame throwers especially the OEM AK74 item. I see this at indoor ranges which are not well lit in the shooting stalls.

AMD brakes a really cool, but your shooting neighbors (and the guys down the road) will hate you.  I think they actually amplify sound (not really, it it sure seems like it.)! I haveNEVER heard anything louder on an AK than an AMD65 brake.  I had one on a Saiga, but got rid of it!

Edited by imarangemaster
  • 2 weeks later...

**OFF TOPIC**

I always loved those cars, never owned one. How cool was that little window in the back, I always wanted one.

I had an 89 SI with a JDM B16 swap with NOS (50hp dry) and more back in the late 90s. I did a ridiculous amount of work on that car. I ported and polished and tweaked for 100s of hours. In case you're wondering I ran a 4 into 2 header with cat and a standard turbo muffler. No fart can and the car wasn't too loud. It was ridiculously fast and a death trap though.

Still got +30 mpg highway even with the ridiculous level of modding. I had to get a custom ECU setup for it :( Now I'm stuck with smaller projects like the saiga.

I've heard some good things here about the Jtac47 break.

If I ever go for a Sig brace on an AK pistol, I'll screw on the AMD-65 brake. THAT should get some attention! The damned thing sounds like field artillery on my AMD-65, so I'm sure it'll be crazy loud on something even shorter!

Think braked 50BMG loud, but without the overpressure wave.

Another thing you might do along with the Tri-delta brake I have, I used a vented Chicom gas tube (you can use East German or Bulgarian vented ones, also) which compensates for AKs tendency to be over-gassed, and a recoil buffer from Buffer Technologies.  Between the three, I honestly feel that my felt recoil is probably less than half of the stock Saiga!

If I ever go for a Sig brace on an AK pistol, I'll screw on the AMD-65 brake. THAT should get some attention! The damned thing sounds like field artillery on my AMD-65, so I'm sure it'll be crazy loud on something even shorter!

Think braked 50BMG loud, but without the overpressure wave.

Don't bother, go for the SHM loudener.

After hearing the AMD-65s at Knob Creek I got one of the brakes for my saiga and was let down by how quiet it was on a 16" barrel. (still loud, but no where near the AMD-65)

Since SHM posted the blue prints as advertisements, I made my own loudener, and it makes it significantly louder, even a bit uncomfortable if you're next to it.

It also makes a quite an impressive fireball.

I'm going on 63 years old, and am VERY old school. Until very recently, I had not been a "fanboy" of muzzle brakes at all.  Flash Hiders I learned to appreciate in the military in the early to mid-1970s.  Fast forward to recent times, however, I went through a change in attitude.  A couple years ago, I built a .300 Blackout M4gery for a domestic security contract I had in the mountains, patrol power infrastructure and hydro dams.  The 300 BLK has decidedly more kick than a 5.56 in a similar build.  I decided to try the Tri-Delta Tactical brake (like I have on my Saiga now).  That, along with an H buffer and an M16 BCG really tamed the 300 BLK a LOT!  

When I quit the contract, I sold the 300 BLK because I could not afford to feed it, even handloading.  I replaced it with a 5.56 build, and put a tri-Delta brake on it, (works wonders along with the H buffer), and finally on the Saiga, along with a buffer.  There are lots of muzzle brakes on the market. Some are STUPID expensive, and have questionable utility. I have seen futurist looking, fancy, EXPENSIVE brakes that did not work worth a sh_t, but look really "tacticool!" The Tri-Delta Tactical is an excellent, practical design, and it really works (and is relatively inexpensive, too).

The short model I have used on three different weapons and calibers

The long version of the brake:

Edited by imarangemaster

**OFF TOPIC**

I had an 89 SI with a JDM B16 swap with NOS (50hp dry) and more back in the late 90s. I did a ridiculous amount of work on that car. I ported and polished and tweaked for 100s of hours. In case you're wondering I ran a 4 into 2 header with cat and a standard turbo muffler. No fart can and the car wasn't too loud. It was ridiculously fast and a death trap though.

Still got +30 mpg highway even with the ridiculous level of modding. I had to get a custom ECU setup for it sad.png Now I'm stuck with smaller projects like the saiga.

I've heard some good things here about the Jtac47 break.

My first car was a 78 cvcc, then my second was an 84 hatch... such love for those cars! Much later in life, I took up autocross and road-course timed trials, and built up an amazing 2nd gen CRX. That car brought me so much joy for nearly a decade...right up until a fire came to my area and burned out everything I own.

Now I've moved on from the motorsports thing (did enough to learn what I wanted to know) and now I have a 96 Ford Ranger. The time and expense I used to put into motorsports I now put into subsistence farming and hunting. Such is life!

Edited by txoutback