SBS Situation

Hey guys it seems like I got myself in a little situation with my Tromix 12 in. SBS and I wanted to see what all my options were. I'm currently living in Montana but the house I'm renting and was wanting to buy just got sold. I have just over 30 days before escrow closes and soon after that I'm supposed to move and help a family member get his business off the ground. Only problem is he lives in a not so gun friendly state(no sbs) so since she can't come with me in her current configuration I wanted to see what options I had?

I know the obvious answer is to just sell her but I would rather keep it than take a big loss which is probably what I'll have to do considering what I've put into it and how much cheaper Custom Saigas have become. I did try to sell it locally though but have had no luck so far. I also thought about getting a permanently attached muzzle brake but the longest ones I could find on CSS were only 5.4 inches overall length so I think I would come up just short. Does anyone know of any brakes longer than 5.4 inches? Or if I could get an extension welded on the end of one to make up the difference? Any other suggestions? Thanks...

Edited by raidersfan_5544

Here is an idea..........go with one of the longer (5"+) muzzle attachments and also get one of those SGM Muzzle Brake Choke Adapters too.  They make them in FULL or MODIFIED (I have the modified cause you can safely shoot anything through it then).

Perm the choke adapter to the barrel and then perm the muzzle attachment to the choke adapter.

This SGM Muzzle Brake Choke Adapters add about 1" to the OAL so if you are at 12" now you need 6" to get to 18" and if my math is correct, this would do it.  Throw in a brake lock nut (would also need perm'd) and that would get you maybe another .5" depending how far you screw it down before perm'ing.

Edited by burntpowder
  • Like 1

If there is a chance you are moving again in a year or two back to a gun friendly state you might consider leaving it with an NFA dealer until then. If it is registered to you as an individual I think that is your only option. If it is registered to a trust you could leave it with another trustee in a gun friendly state.

Here is an idea..........go with one of the longer (5"+) muzzle attachments and also get one of those SGM Muzzle Brake Choke Adapters too. They make them in FULL or MODIFIED (I have the modified cause you can safely shoot anything through it then). Perm the choke adapter to the barrel and then perm the muzzle attachment to the choke adapter. This SGM Muzzle Brake Choke Adapters add about 1" to the OAL so if you are at 12" now you need 6" to get to 18" and if my math is correct, this would do it. Throw in a brake lock nut (would also need perm'd) and that would get you maybe another .5" depending how far you screw it down before perm'ing.

Hey thanks for the heads up...I will definitely look into those muzzle brake choke adapters.

If there is a chance you are moving again in a year or two back to a gun friendly state you might consider leaving it with an NFA dealer until then. If it is registered to you as an individual I think that is your only option. If it is registered to a trust you could leave it with another trustee in a gun friendly state.

To be honest I'm not too sure if I'll be back or not. It really depends on how well things turn out down south. I didn't know that was an option though...it might work if I can't get it back to 18in. Thanks... Edited by raidersfan_5544

I would get a storage unit in Nevada!

I was thinking something similar for some of my other firearms but I didn't know you could do that with a SBS? Is that really an option? As you can see I know little to nothing when it comes to classIII firearms so I would probably be better off getting it back to 18 in for now lol. Any links or guidelines for classIII firearms that anyone has would be great as well. I could use the info. Thanks

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-firearms.html#alternate-storage

Q: If an individual is changing his or her State of residence and the individual’s application to transport the NFA firearm cannot be approved because of a prohibition in the new State, what options does a lawful possessor have?

NFA firearms may be left in a safe deposit box in his or her former State of residence. Also, the firearm could be left or stored in the former State of residence at the house of a friend or relative in a locked room or container to which only the registered owner has a key. The friend or relative should be supplied with a copy of the registration forms and a letter from the owner authorizing storage of the firearm at that location.

The firearms may also be transferred under the procedures referred to in “What are the required transfer procedures for an individual who is not qualified as a manufacturer, importer, or dealer of NFA firearms?” or abandoned to ATF.

• Like 3

Alright, I think I ordered everything that's needed to get me back to the legal length but I have one last question. I called a local gunsmith and he said he would most likely be able to do the work but he wasn't sure on the legality of having the SBS in his possession. Are there any special permits or paperwork needed to work on NFA items to get them back to legal length? I couldn't find any info on that from the link sunnybean posted. By the way Thanks for that SB...lots of good info there.

Sunnybeans post has me curious-It seems to indicate once NFA always NFA?  Just as you can't build a pistol from a rifle, technically, can you make a registered SBS shotgun an acceptable shotgun by just pressing in a 18" barrel, and then do you have to re-visit the 10 or less game.  I think I'd just cut my losses and see if I could trade with a qualified dealer for something else you want (or another S12) and make sure they treat you right.  I don't want to be a downer, but if you have to pay someone to do the work, buy a barrel and additional parts you're already at a loss.

Edit-in reading another post it seems that it can be removed from the registry, but the whole deal doesn't seem to be very cost effective.

Edited by 6500rpm