AK74 Future?

I got into AK74s for the cheap rifles and the cheap surplus ammo. Now that surplus ammo is no longer available, and the closest substitute, Golden Tiger, has not been available for a long time, it appears I might be stuck with low powered commercial ammo. I am not a happy camper, and I am thinking about bailing out of my AK74s. What is your take on this?

Edited by tbryanh

5.45 is still going to be around for a long time. Look at all the people that stocked up. There must be hundreds of thousands of cases in the US.

As soon as that dries up, expect to see more of it produced domestically.

I'm not aware of any significant difference, in power, between the surplus and domestic.

I have two 74s and have no plans to get rid of them.

Edited by Sim_Player

Plenty of places still have surplus. Despite what the dealers would have you believe, there's probably still a ridiculous amount of it over here. It's not as cheap as it was, but it's still by far the cheapest serious caliber to shoot. Right now, the biggest turn-off in my mind is the price of mags, but I've got plenty so I've got no reason to ditch the rifle/caliber whatsoever. 

Side note - this forum was completely dead for exactly a month. Wow. 

• Like 1

5.45 is still going to be around for a long time. Look at all the people that stocked up. There must be hundreds of thousands of cases in the US.

As soon as that dries up, expect to see more of it produced domestically.

I'm not aware of any significant difference, in power, between the surplus and domestic.

I have two 74s and have no plans to get rid of them.

I have always heard that 7N6 is noticeably hotter than the commercial stuff, and more accurate too. I have never shot any though. It seems the 74s perform better with the lighter 53gr. bullet as opposed to the 55,60,and 70gr.   

5.45 is still around at "reasonable" prices. While it may not be as cheap at it once was, I paid $350 for a crate with the bands still intact with the can opener. 2160 rounds for $350 made it about 16 cents a round.

That's a good deal considering the current political climate.Where did you get it?

It's still cheaper than most 5.56 bulk ammo.  I've conferred with a lot AR enthusiasts who have told me that the 5.45 is a great round (ballistically), and I've spoken with a range instructor who believes its ballistically superior to the 5.56 through testing.  It's a great round, and the commercial market has already taken advantage of it as of late.  I think the worst case scenario would be that it ends up like the 10mm.  People still make it, but not as much and its a little more expensive.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...