Wood Furniture For 030 Type Saigas

So I'm hoping to put a wood SVD Stock and matching forend on my IZ-433.

Problems are:

-922®

-Factory Wood SVD Stocks are non-existent at this point

-I've heard terrible things about Rhineland's Saiga Scout Stocks

-Mixed messages on if Ironwood forends would fit my Saiga

-Cost

So anyone able to help?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Picked up these today! I'm kinda stoked. They fit one of the two 040 saiga's I purchased from Alex at Legion USA. The guys there at Legion have always been very personable, shoot you strait, and make

Yes it is factory wood laminate. I have some SVDS stock's which should be available next month, that would be a great addition to the IZ-447 with wood handguards.

For illustrative purposes I've used state-of-the-art technology to show what I want to do to my Saiga

Posted Images

If the SVD look is your final goal. Get an iz-447.

I just bought one. Not home yet. But I can relay the particulars about how the front mounting braket works on a factory saiga 12 with SVD handguard. There are several threads along this line, and anyone who has gone indepth explaining something, can get understandably annoyed to answer the same questions over and over. I know the search suck here. But ALMOST everthing has been asked before. This happens to interest me because I have been looking for a while, and just recently found, this exact model.

Mine is only polymer stock tho. If you want ak style handguards it should be much simpler tho.

post-48862-0-19936900-1410282605.jpg

The SVD stock is not much of a problem, but the handguards are. If you use Ak handguards you will need to remove a bunch of material from the inside in order to clear the barrel diameter. Another option is to find RPK handguards. The problem with that is the factory handguard retainer will not fit over those handguards. Whichever way you slice it, custom work will need to be done to the front end of the shotgun.

If the SVD look is your final goal. Get an iz-447.I just bought one. Not home yet. But I can relay the particulars about how the front mounting braket works on a factory saiga 12 with SVD handguard. There are several threads along this line, and anyone who has gone indepth explaining something, can get understandably annoyed to answer the same questions over and over. I know the search suck here. But ALMOST everthing has been asked before. This happens to interest me because I have been looking for a while, and just recently found, this exact model. Mine is only polymer stock tho. If you want ak style handguards it should be much simpler tho.

As you already know, any svd handguard can be modified to fit this model. Essentially that's what it comes with from the factory, a modified SVD handguard.

If the SVD look is your final goal. Get an iz-447.

I just bought one. Not home yet. But I can relay the particulars about how the front mounting braket works on a factory saiga 12 with SVD handguard. There are several threads along this line, and anyone who has gone indepth explaining something, can get understandably annoyed to answer the same questions over and over. I know the search suck here. But ALMOST everthing has been asked before. This happens to interest me because I have been looking for a while, and just recently found, this exact model.

Mine is only polymer stock tho. If you want ak style handguards it should be much simpler tho.

I couldn't find that model anywhere when I was looking for one.

I created this thread because forum folk seem to hate threads getting "Necro"d as well as the fact that information from years ago or even before the import ban might not be accurate anymore.

The SVD stock is not much of a problem, but the handguards are. If you use Ak handguards you will need to remove a bunch of material from the inside in order to clear the barrel diameter. Another option is to find RPK handguards. The problem with that is the factory handguard retainer will not fit over those handguards. Whichever way you slice it, custom work will need to be done to the front end of the shotgun.

Ironwood make wood forends for Saiga 12s with gas tubes shortened to AK lengths I believe. Those were what I was speaking about.

So I'm hoping to put a wood SVD Stock and matching forend on my IZ-433.

Problems are:

-922®

-Factory Wood SVD Stocks are non-existent at this point

-I've heard terrible things about Rhineland's Saiga Scout Stocks

-Mixed messages on if Ironwood forends would fit my Saiga

-Cost

So anyone able to help?

I have an original SVD stock around here someplace I bought years ago with intentions to do a Saiga / SVD clone. I never did find the wooden HGs and could only get a set of poly ones. I'd be willing to sell but from what I recall there would be some serious modding going on because of the funky receiver the SVD has.

Hmmm, well I could possibly send my Saiga's forend to you or preferably if there were a way i could make a mold of them and send to those. I basically just want wood versions of the poly forend on the IZ-433

The retainers are the achilles heal to your quest. Shit you not it has been done before the Iz-447 was ever imported. Do a quick google search and contact saiga tech usa. He was one of the first and your best lead. In all honesty you are asking a lot by turning your Iz-443 into an Iz-447. The easiest and possibly the cheapest might be to sell your current build and hunt down a 447.

If you can't find his contact info send me a pm. I have it buried somewhere...

Edited: Alex at Russiansurplus.net has the svd wood handguard available. By no means am I endorsing your decision. It will be spendy and I question if you will be satisfied with the outcome. Remember you have a 030 and want it to be a 040. Your sight block will always be in the wrong place.

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

Forget the picture, I have your answer. Traditional handguards can be fit to work. Buy a cheap surplus set from anyone and make room for the barrel by removing material from the inside of the handguard. Or a better option would be to purchase an RPK handguard.

Not sure where all this SVD talk came from but it sure lead to mass confusion...

SVD Stock, AK handguards. Though I've seen SVDs with AK-like handguards so I didn't differentiate  to that.

I'm kind of hoping to use an American-made forend to count towards 922®. Forend and stock means that the 3 parts in a mag will make me compliant with any 5+ round mag and since the SVD stock is considered a "Hunting/Sporting" stock it doesn't violate Federal law with the factory 4 magazine.

Do you have any sources for American made wood AK forends?

I can modify any standard AK wood HGs to fit the larger barreled S-12 or Vepr. Did that in 2004 when I did the first ever AK wood on Sporter S-12 conversion with the Bulgarian set in my avatar.

<<<<

You have jumped around and referenced almost every different handguard style!

030 w wood ak

109 w SVD

030 w SVD

040 w SVD

433 w wood Galil

109 w wood galil

Post a picture of the closest thing you can find, or what your trying to do? Pleas n ty

IZ-433 http://legionusainc.com/iz-433-saiga-12-russian-ak-type-shotgun.html with AK wood front end to replace the poly AK forends and a wood SVD stock to replace the poly SVD stock mine has. I want to do this for asethetic as well as 922® reasons [i'm hoping the wood parts could be American-Made] since my only other option for 922® seems to be replacing the hammer and gas puck.

...since my only other option for 922® seems to be replacing the hammer and gas puck.

And what is so bad about that might one ask? Those are two of the easiest things you can do to a Saiga.

really? i've never done anything mechanical in my life really so i'm unsure of myself being able to do it. I had a hell of a time putting the black poly SVD stock on as the screws kept wanting to go in diagonally

Hmmm, well I could possibly send my Saiga's forend to you or preferably if there were a way i could make a mold of them and send to those. I basically just want wood versions of the poly forend on the IZ-433

OK I am willing to help if I can but first I need to wrap my head around just exactly what you have.

Does it look like one of these?

post-1293-0-64148400-1410390514_thumb.jpg

And if so, what you are after in the end is a set of AK HGs that look like those but are made of wood? And you eventually want to replace the black SVD stock you have now with the same thing but wood as well?

On the other subject, replacing the gas piston (puck) is very simple if you just field strip the weapon and remove the gas tube. I don't have this model but if it's the same as my Vepr 12 it should just come right out with the gas tube removed. I believe CSS or somebody sells a US made replacement for these (again if they are the same as Vepr 12).

With the hammer, that too is easily removed / replaced by just taking out the axis pin retainer or even relieving the tension it is putting on the hammer pin just enough to push the pin out about 1/4". After that the pin is unlocked and can be pulled out from the left side.  You would first want to pull the legs of the main spring up and hook them behind the top of the hammer then wrap a twist tie around them.

With the pin out you can pull the original hammer out and replace with a G-2 hammer that has been modified to fit a Saiga. I can sell you a complete FCG for that matter that will give you three compliance parts and save having to buy a puck. I could talk you or anyone how to do this procedure over the phone and / or there are countless videos on youtube about it.

As HPD already said a couple of times I think, you would be better off just selling yours and getting one like you want with wood furniture if Legion has these.