why is my gun shooting way off?

I have a saiga 308 that I bought off of gunbroker. it has a Texas weapons system dog leg rail and peep sight. we shot at 50 yards using the sights and the first few shots did not even hit the backer of the target. It wa shooting way up and to the right. I was able to adjust the front sight to get the height more inline but the rear peep sight looks to be adjusted to it's max and we are still way off. Is it most likely the barrel or something else?

Buy or borrow a cheap bore sight and that should get you on paper at 50 yards. They could be had online fairly cheap. I have Bushnell Laser Boresighter, not great but it gets me on paper. If that don’t do it you may have some other issues.

EDIT: typo

Edited by Another-Saiga-Fan
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a saiga 308 that I bought off of gunbroker. it has a Texas weapons system dog leg rail and peep sight. we shot at 50 yards using the sights and the first few shots did not even hit the backer of the target. It wa shooting way up and to the right. I was able to adjust the front sight to get the height more inline but the rear peep sight looks to be adjusted to it's max and we are still way off. Is it most likely the barrel or something else?

The TWS peep sight is not adjustable, so you may have some other sight on your TWS rail.  Can you post a picture showing what you have?

• Like 1

Did you get the special takedown button that TWS sells with the "dongle" for the .308?  I bought that for my .308, and found that it prevented the button from fully seating in the slot, so the rail was not tight.  I reverted to the standard button, with a regular Ak buffer to prevent the problem the dongle was supposed to solve, and it worked fine, and was able to seat fully.

If your Texas off set dog leg site rail does attach to that factory left side receiver mount, then there is a easy fun fix for your problem that is fun and easy to fix. Let us know. HB smile.png

HB, no offense, but you clearly have no idea how the TWS rail attaches.

s308scope.jpg

It pins through the front sight and hinges upward in the manner of a Beryl mount.  At the rear, instead of the standard AK takedown button, it uses one that has a sloped lower surface that cams down in the slot, and it fits tightly around the rear of the receiver to prevent sideways motion also.  When properly installed, it is quite solid.  It is milled from a billet of (IIRC) 6061 aluminum.  It doesn't use the side rail at all, and in fact I even removed the factory side rail from my .308 entirely. 

Overall, I think it is the best, and most versatile mount for a regular scope for the AK.  For a red dot sight, there are probably better options for slightly lower mounting.

• Like 1

Of course I have no clear idea how your mount works. That is why I asked. Now I know how your top cover scope rail mount works. Thank you. This may have been asked before....do the extended rear iron sites work OK?

If the rear and front iron sites work OK, then it might be either in the scope rings or perhaps in the scope itself? I am curious how tight the top cover locks up? If it does return to zero then what else could it be? Dunno.

Anyhow, I are sure you will fix it. HB of CJ (old coot) smile.png:)

Edit; That is a very nice looking setup. Is the rear iron site available in an adjustable configuration? Can you employ scout mounts that would work as "Sight Through Underneath" the scope so the iron sights could be used if the scope quits?

Edited by HB of CJ

Of course I have no clear idea how your mount works. That is why I asked. Now I know how your top cover scope rail mount works. Thank you. This may have been asked before....do the extended rear iron sites work OK?

If the rear and front iron sites work OK, then it might be either in the scope rings or perhaps in the scope itself? I am curious how tight the top cover locks up? If it does return to zero then what else could it be? Dunno.

The rear iron sight works fine with the standard AK front.  MY TWS cover locks up tight and returns to zero; it sounds like there may be some issue with shipwreck's installation, which was why I asked about the takedown button.  They make one specifically for the S-308, but it didn't work right with my rifle.  I had to use a regular AK buffer with the normal TWS button, which is a kludge, but at least it works.

Edit; That is a very nice looking setup. Is the rear iron site available in an adjustable configuration? Can you employ scout mounts that would work as "Sight Through Underneath" the scope so the iron sights could be used if the scope quits?

Thanks.  The TWS peep sight (pictured) is not adjustable at all.  There is an open sight made by Kel-Tec that is close enough in height to work, and I think it gives you a little windage adjustability.  With the setup pictured, I can use the iron sights through the see-through scope mounts if I have to.  All I have to do is slightly loosen the thumb nuts on the kydex cheek piece, and slap it down against the stock with the palm of my hand.

adjprod1.jpg

This is a stock of my own design and construction, which fits the Ace style adapters and hinges.  I can probably post about it here now, since I am no longer selling them.

• Like 2

Thank you Netpackrat. I also had no idea at all about the ITAR. Good reading, but very scary indeed. What else is out there that I know nothing about? Could the IRAR laws be also interpreted as individual gunsmithing or modification of personnel firearms .... particularly NFA stuff .... and then you sold that modified firearm? Do all gunsmiths need to be registered? What about end owners? I dunno that either. HB of CJ (old coot) sad.pngsad.png

I think this is important enough to start a fresh thread on only this subject. I am kinda hijacking things here. HB

• 4 months later...

I bought my S308 with all the of the exact custom upgrades i wanted done for me.  It was a crazy coincidence.  I would never think of modifying a weapon.  I got it at a gun show on Martha's Vineyard.  It was called cooter and shooters.  The even threw in a box set of Martha Stewart's sex tapes.  Im terrified, but I will watch them in a drunken stupor.