ARMY OFFICER DENIED ENTRY TO HIS DAUGHTER'S HIGH SCHOOL FOR WEARING HIS UNIFORM
302771_630x354.jpg
(WND Education)

origin.png
Wednesday, September 10, 2014
ROCHESTER HILLS, Mich. --
When Lt. Colonel Sherwood Baker tried to meet his daughter, who was sitting in the counseling office at her high school, the Army officer was denied entrance by school security. When Baker asked why he couldn't enter the office building, security told him that the school's policy does not allow military uniforms because it may 'offend students.'

The incident occurred at Rochester Adams High School in Oakland County, MI near Detroit.

Sherwood's wife, Rachel Ferhadson, was waiting in the car said that Barker was told he would not be allowed on school property unless he changed his attire. The security officer claimed that men and women dressed in uniform were not allowed on the campus.

"They told him some kids might not understand and might be offended. So they gave him a choice, told him he could phone in to the office or go home and change his clothes," said Ferhadson.

Baker was told of the same policy by four individual staff members at the school.

Baker and his wife arrived at Rochester during normal school hours to settle a dispute in regards to their daughter's class schedule. Rochester superintendent Robert Shaner, himself a U.S. Marine Corps veteran, has since issued an apology to Baker and his family.

Shaner said that there is no district policy banning those in uniform, and believes the incident occurred because of staff's misunderstanding of current policy.

Baker has served in the U.S. Army for 24 years, including tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Edited by Big John!
  • Like 1

Turned away for being in uniform, told to go home and change clothes.

Warned that his uniform might OFFEND a student.

This shit has been insanity for too long.

On a good note,

After the district superintendent found out about the flap, Robert Shaner — also a veteran — apologized to Baker. Shaner sent a letter to WJBK, which reads in part, “the district has apologized for any perception that individuals in uniform are not welcome in the school. The district does not have a policy excluding individuals in uniform and will be working with administration and the firm that handles our security to make sure district policies are understood and communicated accurately.” The Baker family scheduled a meeting with the high school’s principal to continue to smooth things out,

Army Officer Turned Away by Security at Entrance of Daughter’s High School — Want to Guess Why?
Sep. 10, 2014 9:56am Dave Urbanski

Sherwood Baker was about to head inside his daughter’s high school in Rochester, Michigan, to talk to a counselor about her class schedule when security stopped him at the entrance. Baker was told he couldn’t enter. Why? He needed to go home and change his outfit before entering Rochester Adams High School.

uniform-flap-e1410356476787.jpg

Image source: WJBK-TV

You see, Baker is a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army and was in uniform that day — which apparently didn’t conform to the dress code.

uniform-flap-4-e1410356555770.jpg

“The security guard told him that men and women in uniform weren’t allowed because it may offend another student,” Baker’s wife Rachel Ferhadson told WJBK-TV in Detroit.

uniform-flap-5-e1410356707269.jpg

After others caught wind of Baker’s about-face order, they were dumbfounded. “I can’t believe they would even think like that after all they do for our country,” one man told the station. “It’s crazy.” Berhadson said her husband, a 24-year veteran, served in Iraq and Afghanistan and has lived overseas in several countries.

uniform-flap-3-e1410356636869.jpg

“He’s been kind and always asks me how my day is after I come home from school,” Baker’s daughter Kelly told WJBK. “It just makes me really happy that he cares.”

uniform-flap-2-e1410356773109.jpg

After the district superintendent found out about the flap, Robert Shaner — also a veteran — apologized to Baker. Shaner sent a letter to WJBK, which reads in part, “the district has apologized for any perception that individuals in uniform are not welcome in the school. The district does not have a policy excluding individuals in uniform and will be working with administration and the firm that handles our security to make sure district policies are understood and communicated accurately.” The Baker family scheduled a meeting with the high school’s principal to continue to smooth things out, WJBK noted.

Fox 2 News Headlines

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/09/10/army-officer-turned-away-by-security-at-entrance-of-daughters-high-school-want-to-guess-why/

Edited by ChileRelleno

Here is some more insanity for ya.... Military uniforms may be gang related, can't risk the exposure.

http://6abc.com/archive/6412083/

Military uniform banned in schools?
September 24, 2008 4:03:13 PM PDT
DOYLESTOWN, Pa. - September 24, 2008 --
Should schools bend the rules and let servicemen and women who come to speak wear their uniforms in this post-911 world? Duane and Eileen Longfellow of Doylestown beam with pride when they talk about their son, Duane Jr, who's a Lance Corporal in the Marines.

That's why they were deeply offended when their son, who was on leave at the time, was invited to speak at a Bucks County high school about his military experience, but was turned away because he arrived wearing his "dress blues."'

After Eileen told this story to other military families, and officials in Harrisburg, she was even more offended to learn this was not an isolated case.

"It's not about a school or a person, this is a problem that is occurring statewide. 17 senators say that it is happening in their districts," Eileen Longfellow said.

Now, those lawmakers are backing a bill introduced yesterday by Doylestown State Senator Chuck McIlhenney that would allow the state to slap a $500 fine on any school official who kicks a soldier or Marine off school property simply because he or she is wearing their military uniform.

Dr. Lisa Andrejko, Superintendent of Quakertown Schools, says she supports the proposed legislation, but understands how in the post-Columbine era, a school could err on the side of caution.

"It's not against the official United States Military...  It's to say we don't want people affiliated with organizations that are gangs, may be gangs or, as I said, para-military organizations," Dr. Andrejko said.

Duane Longfellow Sr., whose brother was killed serving in Vietnam, says he simply hopes it never happens again.

"I think the servicemen, if anything else, they deserve our utmost respect and admiration," Duane Longfellow said.

The proposal is quickly gaining bipartisan support in Harrisburg, but still no word on if Governor Rendell backs it as well.

Click here to get the latest Philadelphia news and headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys.

• Like 1

Didn't want to maybe offend someone, but then proceeded to certainly offend almost everyone. These aren't real deep thinkers apparently.

I don't think can truly imagine the depth of ignorance in these public schools, I'm not trying to be funny here, we really are in serious trouble. I look for them to start watering the plants with an energy drink any day now what.gif

• Like 7

Maybe it would be somehow better to show up in a Waffen SS uniform, complete with leather trenchcoat?

Nope...they want ya in tight pants with a tight shirt that has one of those fairyfuk collars, you know....metrofag  post-13516-0-10617200-1410404195.gif

Edited by AA re-cvrd
  • Like 2

Didn't want to maybe offend someone, but then proceeded to certainly offend almost everyone. These aren't real deep thinkers apparently.

I don't think can truly imagine the depth of ignorance in these public schools, I'm not trying to be funny here, we really are in serious trouble. I look for them to start watering the plants with an energy drink any day now what.gif

But it's got what plants crave!
  • Like 1

Public indoctrination centers.  Where children go to learn to be good sheep.

Sheep don't need to read or write, or understand math or history, or think for themselves.  They only need to go where the herd is told to go.

• Like 5

We wouldn't want to offend the Muslims kids or the illegal ones that attend the school now would we.... Doesn't this high school have a R. O. T. C program? What do they wear? I think if you're offended by the uniform, then maybe you should move the fawk out the country!!! Stupid policies made by stupid people... God help us.

• Like 2

So I guess the recruiters don't get to hang out in the Council's office, smoke cigarettes with Seniors and maybe get them a beer after school.

When I was in, we were told to NEVER wear our uniform unless on base or on an assignment. We could not wear our uniforms while on leave and never wore them to events like football games or whatever.

Then again, that's when you earned your Beret and boots and couldn't buy them at the PX.

Public indoctrination centers.  Where children go to learn to be good sheep.

Sheep don't need to read or write, or understand math or history, or think for themselves.  They only need to go where the herd is told to go.

It's happening right before our eyes.  I'm thankful that my last two boys are almost out of high school.

When I was in, we were told to NEVER wear our uniform unless on base or on an assignment. We could not wear our uniforms while on leave and never wore them to events like football games or whatever.

Yes we were not allowed to wear utilities off base except to and from home if we lived off base.

I can see both sides of the issue.

It does remind me of a time I was travelling in dress blues. I sat next to an older woman on the plane. She was very pleasant at first, smiling at me.

"So are you in the Air Force?"

"No Ma'am."

Still smiling. "The Navy?"

"No Ma'am."

Smile droops a bit. "Then you must be in the Army."

"No Ma'am. I'm a Marine."

Eyes wide. Smile disappears. She didn't speak to me or even look at me for the rest of the flight.

Believe the policy was against STUDENTS wearing military uniforms, not servicemen. Educators have become so terrified of violating policy that they have a nasty habit of strictly adhering to what they perceive as "da rulez" even if it contradicts common sense. See: lego guns, pop-tart guns, contraband advil, banned camo, etc.

Yes we were not allowed to wear utilities off base except to and from home if we lived off base.

I can see both sides of the issue.

It does remind me of a time I was travelling in dress blues. I sat next to an older woman on the plane. She was very pleasant at first, smiling at me.

"So are you in the Air Force?"

"No Ma'am."

Still smiling. "The Navy?"

"No Ma'am."

Smile droops a bit. "Then you must be in the Army."

"No Ma'am. I'm a Marine."

Eyes wide. Smile disappears. She didn't speak to me or even look at me for the rest of the flight.

A Marine once left her for a piece of Korean Poon-Tang. So, what is it lady? Pilots dropping Napalm or a Marine getting his bayonet wet? Silly old hen.

• Like 2

We just had "camo day" at out local high school. Has about 3200 students. Some went in full head to toe camo, then wore it to the football game that night. It was pretty cool. Still some sanity left by it is fading fast.

This was the Fall semester in high school. It was nothing to show up in hunting gear and/or with game in the back of your rig. Not sure if that is still the case anymore in South Dakota.

OP's story is fuct.

Back in high school we had troops or terrorist day and everyone came in camo.  With one of the teachers, VP's and office staff outside the door, we even fragged the head principal.  Everybody had fun back then!  But then, we had teachers that would slam a punk through a locker if he wanted to get tough.

Teachers and administrators need to pull the stick out of their ass!  Hire some teachers that can put the little shits back in line, and a lot of the problems would get solved.

In 8th grade, I had hunter's safety taught in the classroom with REAL guns.  Now THAT'S the way it should be!