From what little I have seen posted they seem to be made of inferior metal so I am not really confident in investing in one without hearing more about them from someone with a good background in Saiga 12's... such as yourself so go for it brother! 

I was not real impressed with the one I handled at my local shop. Can't really put my finger right now on exactly what it was... just an overall "cheesy copy" kind of feeling.

• Like 2

It isn't perfect, but as I recall, the Saiga 12 wasn't either ;) The way I look at it is we have to make due with our resources and this is the only way to have a Kalashnikov based shotgun for cheap these days. At the rate things are going, one could throw another $300 at a Cat and still be in it for less than a Saiga 12. Some other research leads me to believe even these may stop coming. It seems that a lot of them are bouncing back to Century for warranty work and continuing to offer them may no longer make good business sense. Whatever, I just want to play with one and see if I con do anything noteworthy with it. 

• Like 1

Honestly I think they are under rated.. If century would get them to improve the quality about 10-20% they would be about equal to the Saiga.. They are running the mill bits longer than they should, which is making the parts rough.

And they need to change the fire control parts to be convertible to standard AK parts.. Currently half the work in a Fury conversion is making the AK parts work.

• Like 1

I would sooner spend the money on a Remington 1100 tactical model. At least I would get back what I paid if I ever sold it. Keep that catfish thing away from me.

I got a good laugh out of that on many levels.

If I didn't have my 12, and couldn't get one, I'd probably look at the MK1919 and put time and effort into it. Make it run everything, get an SAS lower, etc. From what I've read, I want to stay far away from the Fury.

I have considered getting one of those too, but I don't think it would hold up to the way I treat my personal firearms. A friend best described it as "appalling". I have the anti-safe queen mentality. Beat the shit out it, break it, and then improve it so it can take more punishment next time.

• Like 2

Honestly I think they are under rated.. If century would get them to improve the quality about 10-20% they would be about equal to the Saiga.. They are running the mill bits longer than they should, which is making the parts rough.

And they need to change the fire control parts to be convertible to standard AK parts.. Currently half the work in a Fury conversion is making the AK parts work.

It looks like there is a bit of genius in the design of some of it, but the axis pins and mainspring look crazy. I am looking forward to checking it out. I'm sure you are slammed with all of the different mag projects you have going, so I really appreciate you taking time to offer your view on it.

It looks like there is a bit of genius in the design of some of it, but the axis pins and mainspring look crazy. I am looking forward to checking it out. I'm sure you are slammed with all of the different mag projects you have going, so I really appreciate you taking time to offer your view on it.

I have a mostly complete video review of the shotgun. My factory magazines have been acting up too much to actually finish getting the round count high enough to finish the review. So I'm going to make a pair of mags to finish my review of the shotgun as it could be converted.. The problem I'm having with the factory mags is that the rounds try to exit through the ramps on the sides, not sure why they are doing that.

I made a stock adapter for mine and discovered a few things you should not do in converting them. Among other things, the safety does not activate on a Tapco trigger. The back legs of the trigger need to be longer. Took very little time to add the metal with a welder and then grind it to shape, if someone was wanting to convert a bunch, it would be wise to make a part to add to the safety to take the custom work out of it.

If I was going to convert a bunch of them, I'd get some chucking reamers to fix their crappy drilled gas tubes. Took an hour to sand the big bumps out of it, a reamer would probably make it smooth in a single pass and a couple minutes of clean up.

• Like 2

They fucked it up so bad that they inttoduced VERSION 2.0!

Apparently they are now Saiga slayers, according to this high speed, low drag, combat soldier.

Evil, It's OK. You can tell us you purchased one. Buyers remorse is not the answer. Just sell it on gunbroker and remember to put BANNED in the title. Instant money maker.

To answer your question.... 1. MADE IN CHINA

Edited by Stryker0946
  • Like 2

I'm not much of a shotgun fan. But, if I were to buy one I would likely go for a Saiga. Still can get all the parts to fix it.

cant get parts

Can get about everything that could fail other than the bolt face US made right now.

My answer is, $400 for a reliable box fed semi auto shotgun isn't bad, but there are other guns which appeal more.

They are rough, IIRC they limit which ammo I can use, mags are not common... So I could still get an S12 in the condition I would want for less money or a V12 by the time I am done, and would have a far better feeling gun. I am also concerned about parts failure. They don't look very good inside they feel quite rough. But when the other options dry up? Maybe. I would have said that I'd be looking at baikal tube semis first just on quality grounds, for the budget, but the same EO shot those down. (And a lot of baikals sold under names like Remington, Weatherby, etc. too.)

Apparently there is not a current importer for the BR99 or Adkal. They feel like a more refined product, but I do have longevity concerns for them. Also the magwell is too small to allow much mag development.

I'm not much of a shotgun fan. But, if I were to buy one I would likely go for a Saiga. Still can get all the parts to fix it.

cant get parts

Can get about everything that could fail other than the bolt face US made right now.

In my observation, people generally have to be doing something stupid to break the S12, so parts really don't worry me much. The carrier is really the suspect part and R&R filled that gap. I think as time passes the price Doug asks for those will look better and better. 

They fucked it up so bad that they inttoduced VERSION 2.0!

Apparently they are now Saiga slayers, according to this high speed, low drag, combat soldier.

Evil, It's OK. You can tell us you purchased one. Buyers remorse is not the answer. Just sell it on gunbroker and remember to put BANNED in the title. Instant money maker.

To answer your question.... 1. MADE IN CHINA

I'm pretty stubborn. If I get one I won't give up on it until it is totally fubar and I can't bring it back to life. I saw that a few weeks ago. It is laced with a little misinformation. It was good for a smile.

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 2

If I was going to buy a Chinese made shotgun, it would be one of the NEF 870 clones. They are better quality than actual current production Remingtons.

I have a Norinco 870 copy and it's a fantastic shotgun for the $200 I paid.

because this is a waaaay better soundnng deal

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/sgn-br99.aspx

For most people, I get that. For me, I doubt it would be a good fit. I'm too rough on things.

Under current conditions I'm not thrilled about the money I've spent that's in Russian possession, and for years now I've tried (and it's getting harder every day due to exposure) to limit any money going to China considering the outsourcing of good American manufacturing jobs. Funny they're taking our jobs and this is the result of the quality they still put out. There are plenty of better options to spend what's left of your hard earned dollars on IMHO. 2c.gif

I think a lot of it is perspective. Many just look at the gun and either like it or hate it. Some imagine it is a slightly different form and like it. I view things like this as a simple starting point for something far and away from what it is. I have decided that I am definitely getting one. Sure, it probably needs a lot of work to be worth keeping, but that is exactly what I have in mind. Curiosity about the Cat is killing me ;)

• Like 1

Very rough conversion from Vepr-12 mag to Fury I mag. Still playing with a few of the sizes on the rear catch and its going to need a different feed lip first stage as the receiver stops are not contacting and making the magazine wobble.

cimg1930.jpg?t=1411080897

I'm not the first one to do this conversion process.. Mythbusters showed that it was possible long before the Fury was ever imported.

• Like 5