Extremely stubborn gas block pin

I don't think you were referring to me cobra. I did the d-mod as a noob. It was part of what got the gun running. And that started the saigaittis! Lol I do believe it to be excessive. And after better understanding and theory I only bevel from the bottom side at the same angle as the gas ports similar to what you just suggested. That said, some people are just fuckups, that's what they do. I personally don not see the "OMG" factor, and would appreciate an explanation of what the dangers are. It would help everyone. Sometimes the best approach is what NOT to do. ie don't fuck with the cam channel in the bolt, or the tang on the rear of the bolt.

Quit worrying about the D mod. It being a "bad/dangerous/hack job" to the gas block, is excessively blown out of proportion. There has to be hundreds of S12's in use (mine included) that have the modification done by a 'DIYer' and catastrophic failures because of it, are non existent.

Some folks disagree but the fact is, guns with the "D mod", work. The gas block doesn't give two shits if the window is shaped into a D or if it's just drilled out. I'd bet my S12 that the reason real gun smiths drill them is because of time saved. How's that old saying go.... time is money.

You answered your own issue about the extractor and rim tearing, yesterday, when you said "tolerances are so wide with this platform".

Did you even read my posts? Nowhere did I state it was "bad/dangerous/hack job". It's just not needed to achieve the desired effect and there is no aftermarket source for a GB. If would have read my posts you would also read where I said I haven't had any problems out of mine. I am all for pushing design limits to achieve the desired effect, but being the that the OP is new I just wanted him to be aware that it could create other issues, not that it will. Hence the "shoot it, enjoy it, but monitor it." Just trying to help/inform a new member not trying to get into pissing match over which method is correct.

Quit worrying about the D mod. It being a "bad/dangerous/hack job" to the gas block, is excessively blown out of proportion. There has to be hundreds of S12's in use (mine included) that have the modification done by a 'DIYer' and catastrophic failures because of it, are non existent.

Some folks disagree but the fact is, guns with the "D mod", work. The gas block doesn't give two shits if the window is shaped into a D or if it's just drilled out. I'd bet my S12 that the reason real gun smiths drill them is because of time saved. How's that old saying go.... time is money.

You answered your own issue about the extractor and rim tearing, yesterday, when you said "tolerances are so wide with this platform".

Did you even read my posts? Nowhere did I state it was "bad/dangerous/hack job". It's just not needed to achieve the desired effect and there is no aftermarket source for a GB. If would have read my posts you would also read where I said I haven't had any problems out of mine. I am all for pushing design limits to achieve the desired effect, but being the that the OP is new I just wanted him to be aware that it could create other issues, not that it will. Hence the "shoot it, enjoy it, but monitor it." Just trying to help/inform a new member not trying to get into pissing match over which method is correct.

Sorry, the only part of my post directed towards you was the last paragraph. The rest was just a general statement for this thread addressing other threads about the subject that people have read and apparently become worrisome over. Guess I should have used the quote feature.

But since you brought up the subject, what does one need to "monitor" with regards to the "D" mod?

OK... let me give this one more try. (only because you asked, not because I enjoy arguing with mulletboy...)

1. The D mod is stupid. It is a hack job that we all know is not necessary in order to clear the port and supply enough gas to the piston to operate the weapon.

2. Now that we have cleared that up, why in the hell should THE FORUM that is most respected and read for the most up to date and accurate info on how to fix a sick Saiga keep an outdated stupid thread about hacking up a gas block PINNED so people keep right on and on doing the same thing this member did instead of doing shit the right way???

Johnboy.gif

Question for you now.

WHY should this forum keep that thread pinned like that when everyone who knows better knows that big chunk of metal does not need to be removed, much less considered the norm to fix the issue? Is it really to justify those who have done it?

If not then why???

Johnboy.gif

Ohhh maybe it's the same as that other ridiculous thread stickied telling people what they should do is this!!~!~

post-1293-0-32657800-1411090465_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-65829800-1411090537_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-99107100-1411090573_thumb.jpg

nonono.gif

This is some shit I have on my workbench right now from a customer who read that stupid fucking shit and didn't know any better.

Yeah right let's keep this kind of shit pinned so more and more people do it all the time.

Better yet let's go around defending stupid shit done in the past when we know better now. That makes about as much sense as all the libtarrrds relecting nobama!

Oh let's give him a third term too why the fuck not???

010.gif

deadhorse.gif

Ok since, this thread has been officially thread jacked

This is how I hammer the gas block on and off

Ground a cold chisel to the correct angle

No it does affect the screw threads, yes it will leave marks. But it's miles away from the gas plug threads(the ones everyone seems to f up)

post-48862-0-99884600-1411149793_thumb.jpg

post-48862-0-96403000-1411149811_thumb.jpg

Also just did this gas block mod and gas ports this am about 30min. (4)-@.093 or 3/32"

Just bevel gas block at gas port angle. I do just enough to "catch" all 4 holes back one is almost never the issue. Two sides and front "new hole" will usually need some clearancing. No affect on gas pick side geometry.

Check out the gas block pins. Someone "beat" me to this mod apparently. Though I don't thing they got the gas block off. Lol

Yes (4)-ports at .093 is prob too much, but it give plenty of gas to tune the autoplug. And when the auto plug "pops off" I feel it purges some of the fouling out with it. (Self cleaning)IMHO. Set it once and "let the big dog eat!" Ymmv

post-48862-0-51725200-1411150151_thumb.jpg

post-48862-0-01829400-1411150168_thumb.jpg

post-48862-0-18647700-1411150187_thumb.jpg

post-48862-0-37231800-1411150209_thumb.jpg

post-48862-0-80258100-1411150239_thumb.jpg

post-48862-0-00328100-1411150286_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wagnikov, just having that bevel is so much better than the Dumb mod. Perfect.

.093" ports are just a little large and allow larger debris to enter and foul things quicker. Not really a huge deal if they are angled adequately. 5 at .080" works well if the hammer and carrier have been improved. Fouling is a little slower too.

Wagnikov, just having that bevel is so much better than the Dumb mod. Perfect.

.093" ports are just a little large and allow larger debris to enter and foul things quicker. Not really a huge deal if they are angled adequately. 5 at .080" works well if the hammer and carrier have been improved. Fouling is a little slower too.

Agree. I do think it over gasses the gun. I feel you have to have extra gas or the autoplig is useless. On a 3" slug it will blow out the 4 vents and looks like a comp! When your shooting you look down the center of the "v" as the gas jets out. I will try the 5 next time to keep things cleaner. (Izhmash must agree with you as the 030 has 5 ports) thought about leaving the original 3 and squeezing 3 more small ones as it would mak a nice small circle, and require less work on the gb. On a gun I don't plan to autoplug( iz-447 with laminated SVD forend, that I'm not going to gring the handguard to make clearence) I will sneak up on it slower with the gas ports so as not to "overshoot" the needed gas. I do agree a lot has been learned and refined, and the stickies need to be updated/simplified.

Damn!  Cut them nails bud!!  :haha2:

Nails are tools too! I can't tell you how many times I have been able to perform a job because I can hook or peel or grab something that momma's nail biters can't. They work, just like me. I have so many scars on my hands I promise you can't even count em all. I gave up my dream of ever being a hand model long ago! Lmao

• Like 1