Saiga 223 20in barrel gas block removal question

I've seen tutorials on YouTube in which they drill out the dimples on the side my iz132 and 240 have them but this one doesn't its a century arms conversion with a 20 in barrel I wanna convert this into a ak106cr clone how do I remove the gas block and will the kvar krink gas block front sight combo fit on it? The barrel is getting chopped off so I'm not really worried about but I'd like to do it for practice anyways any tips?

I just bought so its nothing fancy

post-47119-0-66411900-1410985716_thumb.jpg

post-47119-0-26404600-1410985758_thumb.jpg

post-47119-0-36590700-1410986590_thumb.jpg

Both are pinned at the bottom. Some Saigas are dimpled, some are pinned. You will need to drive out the pins. Here is a concurrent thread going on the forum with advice on driving out the pins: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/95236-extremely-stubborn-gas-block-pin/

Edited by Spacehog

you will need a bulgarian front sight gas block combo for the 102/105 model. NOT a krink front sight gas block. its too short. If you can find a russian one, even better but those are unobtainium right now. I have a WTS thread up with the correct gas block. basically a SGL106cr but not an SGL but Saiga. post-24335-0-92496200-1410983365_thumb.j

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/95245-for-sale-ak-102-and-aks-74/&do=findComment&comment=996405

• Like 2

You'll need a standard 74 fsb for a standard 106. If you plan on running a krink booster later make sure you stick with a Bulgarian booster to match your Bulgarian krink GB. The detent pins are in different locations on the Russian versions and won't allow them align properly.

• Like 2

So one if those kvar ones wouldn't work? So what about to make it like a standard 106?

the one from kvar will work, just not the krink, unless you're making a krink. Otherwise the one like I have posted:

http://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-142B.html

You will obviously have to redrill the pin holes with a 3mm cobalt drill bit if the pinholes don't line up.

• Like 2

you will need a bulgarian front sight gas block combo for the 102/105 model. NOT a krink front sight gas block. its too short. If you can find a russian one, even better but those are unobtainium right now. I have a WTS thread up with the correct gas block. basically a SGL106cr but not an SGL but Saiga. post-24335-0-92496200-1410983365_thumb.j

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/95245-for-sale-ak-102-and-aks-74/&do=findComment&comment=996405

I likey the cleaning rod on that where did you get your gas block at?

Facepalm
Best tip I can give you, have a licensed professional do the work

I likey the cleaning rod on that where did you get your gas block at?

Cleaning rod was just an old cleaning rod that I cut down to fit for looks. You can buy them the correct length but it will cost you.

Edited by AZG
  • Like 1

(Sigh)

I got the gas block from kvar.

Again, I would NOT use the krinkov/KR008b. Use the one I already posted a link to if that's what you decide to do. Cutting the barrel that short(under 16") will make you a felon unless you are a licensed 07 manufacturer. I recommend you have one do it for you. Not to mention if you screw the crown up you will have all sorts of trouble.

• Like 1

Sorry man didn't see that link but now I'm sorry I even asked thanks anyways but I still think I'll save my money and do it myself I'm not worried about recrowning and don't worry I wasn't cutting under 16 and if I was I'd get some kind of muzzle device welded to make up the difference, thanks again for all your trouble sir and sorry for the inconvenience and misunderstanding

Whoops. I misunderstood your wants. Like AZG said look for the 102/105 GB. I was thinking you wanted it more like the slr104 krink style for some reason. My bad.

I dont think you did. He did mention making like the standard 106 which I assume is the SLR-106FR. And thats the confusing part, the letters. If you dont know them. 

CR = front sight gas block model.

F= AKS-74 style model with folder with out the scope rail

FR= with scope rail

UR = Krink

U = no scope rail

I think. 

Its all good regardless. 

• Like 1

Sorry man didn't see that link but now I'm sorry I even asked thanks anyways but I still think I'll save my money and do it myself I'm not worried about recrowning and don't worry I wasn't cutting under 16 and if I was I'd get some kind of muzzle device welded to make up the difference, thanks again for all your trouble sir and sorry for the inconvenience and misunderstanding

No worries. sorry if I came off harsh. I was frustrated because I didnt realize you were talking about cutting the barrel yourself and really its just a bad idea IMO if you dont have the license, tool, skillset. Not saying you dont, and no offence, but thats just it, I dont know you and have to assume you dont have any of them. And again, no trouble at all. hope I was of help to you. 

• Like 1