It has to house three kayaks under 16' long, and keep the spiders out.

This is what I came up with.

More pics to follow, as I develop the PVC roller system.

The (screened) holes are for ventilation. Two lower on one end and two upper on the opposite end but, I may add more.

I'm a painter and sider, by trade (with a background in aerospace) but, I love new challenges.

I painted her house this summer and expanded her front porch (a first for me but, I had the tools so why not?)

Very generous hourly rates, plus materials, for a great neighbor!

I was a bit worried about my new Cali neighbor, until I met her (a lawyer for Boeing).

It will be painted to match the house.

post-38865-0-35980800-1411193743_thumb.jpg

post-38865-0-08251600-1411193768_thumb.jpg

post-38865-0-03149400-1411193783_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 3

When I saw the first pics, I was gonna have to bust your chops for the door not matching the roof pitch.  Last pic showed that you know what yer doing.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the roller system.  Keep this updated Sim...

Nice job. Clean design and function. You guys always give me new inspiration. Red that used to me my favorite joke. "You ever smelled mothballs? How'd ya get their little legs that far apart?"

UM, bugs will get in, ya just cant stop them, put you some moth balls in there, ya just have to find a knife small enough to do the cutting.nonono.gif

Lol. I just helped my neighbor with her kayaks. We just hung em up in a pole barn but put some 6mil plastic over the rims and tied it tight with bailing twine in an attempt to keep the bugs out. I'm not even sure that'll keep em out. That's a nice building and you did a great job but I agree that the bugs will unfortunately get in.

It's the Hobo spiders that she wants to keep out, like this one...very common around here and quite large, sometimes.

I saw one on my porch last night that was twice as big as the one in the picture.

post-38865-0-00955300-1411315602_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sim_Player

Yup, bought a screen repair kit from the hardware store. It came with 6 screens (about 4x4") for under $3.00. Stapled them to the vent holes.

Also picked up a 10' x1/2 section of galv steel conduit to cut up and slip inside the 3/4" PVC, also $3.00.

Trying to keep her costs down.

Edited by Sim_Player

You'll want 1" hardware cloth over the holes as well. Squirrels will go right through the screen if the want in.

If squirrels become a problem, mix cayenne with water and dish detergent, then spray the screen with it. (Wear a dust mask..it's pretty bad) That'll keep the little bastards out. 

Try a magnetic door seal. Break a piece of galvanized sheet metal into an "L" shape ,you will need 4 pieces. Add 4 strips of wood to picture frame the opening so they become door stops. Recess the stops to allow for the thickness of the magnetic seal.   Go to Home Depot etc. buy a magnetic door seal kit, used for metal exterior doors, and attach it to the back of the door.The gaps around the door is where they will get in. The magnetic seal on the exterior door for a house stops air infiltration. If it keeps cold and heat out of a house it should help to keep spiders out as well.

My buddy uses the clear wrap on his. The kind they use on pallets of boxes to keep the bugs/wasps out of his. It comes in like 3' rolls he has a very cheap source..lol. Couple wraps around the cockpit and your good to go. Widows and recluse spiders are all over the place round here. You can also buy cockpit covers for $30 bucks or so. Looks great! Nice job.

Edited by sccritterkiller

Sticky traps! The kind that are cardboard with sticky wax on them (the same wax that they use to rip the hair off women's tushes)

The good stuff has a picture of a bug and a mouse. These catch everything, and the spiders either get stuck or starve.

Looks like you have 4 rollers in there. Have her load them upside down as opposed to right side up. Even with the ventilation holes, it with get hot inside in the Summer. Kayaks are made of HDPE, and can warp with enough heat, won't prevent them from floating but will affect tracking, especially if the bottom of the kayak is affected. Looks good!

• Like 1