None of them, no really, they all suck ass.

But so do all cold bluing chemicals.

That said, try Brownells Oxpho Bluing Creme, I used it on CSSPECS mags at their suggestion.

It has held up well.

I've always wondered if they work.  Thanks Chile.

Ive tried the brownells oxpho blue liquid and have had pretty good results, though the cream is probably better, since it stays where you need it.  In my experience, the better the prep, the better the outcome.  

The birchwood casey stuff they sell at gander mountain is complete garbage, under any circumstances.

Edited by Boomsick42

One thing to keep in mind when "cold bluing" is to rinse with bottled water. My tap water is full of minerals and was causing "flash rust".

I blued the slide on my 9mm Taurus using Scotchbright, a toaster oven and Birchwood Casey's and the results were impressive, IMHO. I did about 10 applications to get a nice deep blue.

Edited by Sim_Player

We just used the small blue bottles of instant cold blue, aluminum anodizing and stainless steel oxidizing liquid. Used Q-tips. Surface prep was important and we just used acetone for that. Yep...be sure to rinse with cold water. Have fun. HB of CJ (old coot)

Edit; I think the brand name was Caseys and we got it probably from either Midway, Brownells, Wideners or Gantz Supply. Can not remember. Yep..we used eye and hand protection. Henry

Edited by HB of CJ