20rd "Asian" Steel Surplus mags

So the 20rd tanker mags have dried up, but I found 20rd "Asian" (I assume they are Korean) steel surplus mags at CDNN. I have ordered a few and will post a follow up comparing them to the Hungarian Tanker Mags.

These "Asian" mags were on sale this past weekend for $8.99 so I bit the bullet plus I needed some crush washers so why pay for shipping twice!

Dried up? You can find hungarian tanker mags at what-a-country and I believe apex as well. Yet they are a bit more than the $9 you paid.

Dried up, as in no more imports.  The ones popping up there were either bought from defunct businesses or found buried in a warehouse.  I still remember when you could get 3 with a pouch from Centerfire for $19.99. 

Definitely keep us posted on these. 

Dried up? You can find hungarian tanker mags at what-a-country and I believe apex as well. Yet they are a bit more than the $9 you paid.

Dried up, as in no more imports.  The ones popping up there were either bought from defunct businesses or found buried in a warehouse.  I still remember when you could get 3 with a pouch from Centerfire for $19.99. 

Definitely keep us posted on these. 

That's when I snagged mine. I had shit luck with the first batch of Korean AK mags that came in with the grey park finish 5 or so years ago. The feed lip dimensions were wrong and they just wouldn't work in my rifles. I bought a few 30-rounders and a couple 40-rounders, same problems with all. If I hear positive reviews on these 20s I might pick up a few - if nothing else they'd be great candidates for chopping down to 15 rounders to be nearly flush with the pistol grip - maximum capacity while enabling prone fire.

I have to throw a plug in here.  I like some Tapco stuff Intrafuse Saiga handguard, gas pistons, G2 fire control groups (BEST AK trigger pull), etc.  Some stuff is awful :T-6 stack grip, standard AK handguards, standard AK buttstocks.  Now here is the plug.  about 6 years ago, I got some Tapco 30s with the grippy ribs.  They were very tough, reliable mags, and were way lighter than the dozen steel Mil-Surps I have.  I sold the Tapcos when I moved back to Californistan in 2011, as they were not pre1-1-2000 California legal mags like the dozen steel Mil-Surps I have. I still use some Tapco 10s as range mags with my two Saiga factory 10s.  Tapco makes 20 round mags that are light and tough.  I have seen K-Var style frop tests of the Tapco mags and they pass! I have seen them frozen loaded and dropped in the weapon on steel plates, mag first, and they pass.  I have also seen a video of a guy doing Spetnaz style AK push ups with a Tapco mag.  They are VERY under-rated.

A few years ago I bought 8 Tapco smoothside burnt orange mags as disassembled "repair kits." Recently, I repaired (replaced) the bodies on 8 of my more beat up Com-bloc prebans with the Tapco smooth side orange bodies and floor plates,(I tossed the Tapco springs and baseplate locking plates, as comblock springs are better). I used the innards from my comblocks.  I LOVE the Tapco mags.  they weigh about 20-30% less loaded than the steel.

If you like 20's the Tapcos are tough and good, and are only about $8-9 with a lifetime warranty.

NOTE: The mags are a better orange match to bakelite Russians than the picture shows.

Featureless3_zps65365347.jpg

Edited by imarangemaster