I've had it in my big toe joint where it's common.

The whole toe joint gets bright red and hot.

Absolutely horrific pain!

Sharp searing pain from just moving slightly or the bed sheet touching it.

Wearing shoes is out of the question.

It does seem to be somewhat diet and body chemistry related.

Rich and fatty meats and seafood can trigger it.

I've also had problems with diet sodas.

Eat salads and fruit. Lots of water.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/gout-diet/art-20048524

Also watch that you are not doing something to aggravate the body part. I've caught myself

crossing my feet under my computer desk in a way that can cause my toe joints to hurt.

Last time they gave me "indomethacin" for the pain. Seems like it does nothing at first.

You have to keep taking it for a couple of days for it to start helping.

Worst part is the rolling eyes and snickering you get from some health care people.

They have no idea of the pain involved because they haven't had it.

Best wishes to you for speedy relief, gout sucks man.

Drink plenty of water,

Avoid acidic fruit

Nothing pickled

Gout is caused by a build up of uric acid, that tern into crystals & build up in a joint causing swelling. 

IT FUCKING HURTS

Take anti inflame pills, take the pain

That will remind you to watch what you eat.

I have osteoarthritis pretty bad, lately I've been having this terrible burning/stabbing pain in my left foot where the toes attach. I'm not sure this is gout, as I had a bunion removed from that foot some years back, I just marked it up to the arthritis getting in there from that. This pain has now gotten to the point that I walk with a noticeable limp at times now, guess it's time to get it checked out. Good thread, thanks.

Weird but true,

About 4am when you are in a deep sleep, your body temp drops, also blood flow slows.

That's when MR GOUT starts to get you.

You can stop it getting worse if you catch it ASAP.

If you suffer from gout.  You will now.

There is no need to take pills every day. ONLY when you feel it coming on.

Hope this helps.

GUYS,

MY DAD HAD IT BAD, AND IT FLARES ON ME FROM TIME TO TIME.

IF YOU LOOK AT URIC ACID CRYSTALS UNDER HIGH MAGNIFICATION, THEY LOOK LIKE RAZOR SHARP SHARDS OF BROKEN PLATE GLASS.

THAT STUFF, GRINDING AWAY IN YOUR JOINTS IS WHAT CAUSES THE PAIN.

YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO GOOGLE-UP A PIC, IF YOU'RE INTERESTED.

I CAN'T TAKE ALLOPURINOL; HAS A BAD SIDE EFFECT.

WHAT I'VE FOUND THAT WORKS IS CHERRIES, EITHER THE FRESH PICKED IN THE PRODUCE SECTION OF YOUR GROCERY STORE, OR THE CANNED VARIETY.

FOR THE CANNED, I CAN'T RECALL THE BRAND NAME, BUT THEY'RE FROM OREGON OR WASHINGTON STATE.

THEY MAKE TWO TYPES, ONE IS TART WITH A THIN SYRUP, AND THE OTHER IS SWEET IN HEAVY SYRUP.

THE SWEET ONES ARE THE ONES TO GET.

I JUST PUT THE CAN IN THE FRIDGE, LET IT GET COLD, AND EAT THE WHOLE CAN WITH A SPOON.

YOU MIGHT WANT TO EASE INTO A HALF CAN AT FIRST TO MAKE SURE IT DON'T GIVE YOU THE POOPS...

NO EFFECT ON ME, AND I'VE GOT A FAIRLY SENSITIVE GUT.

JESS1344

Edited by JESS1344
  • Like 1

True on the 4am thing, the couple of times I've had it, I woke up to it.

Sucks that the docs are so scared to over prescribe serious pain killers these days.

Gout causes the kind of pain that takes narcotic level pain killers to even make a dent in it.

The first time, I was in disbelief that a "toe" could even hurt that much. I think that's kind of

how health care professionals look at it too when you are begging for serious pain killers

like a junkie trying to score.

They look at you like. "Comon dude, it's a sore toe".   Uhhh....... no.  Way more than that.

I know I was stuck with drinking whiskey to numb my brain enough that I could even try to

get some sleep. You have to be really careful with alcohol and pain killers though.

Best wishes to you Gout72 & AA, that is far worse than what I had.

Good tip on the cherries Jess. I drank cherry juice with my whiskey one time and it seemed

to help a little. Will have to try the can of sweet cherries next time. I love cherries too.

Edited by Spartacus

I've had it bad in both feet. Meds helped for a while but it always came back ... 

Acupuncture got rid of it for me.

BRGDS, A

Good to know the acupuncture worked for you, thanks for the info.

I wish the West would learn more of these things from Eastern medicine.

Everything that has been stated is correct. Stay away from red meat, beer, pickled or rich foods, and peanut butter (thats a big one).

My patients always gave glowing reports from cherry juice/extract.

Yes, that crap hurts like hell. Indomethicin or allopurinol are most commonly prescribed. Like all medications, their efficacy is dependent on your particular body chemistry.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice Distal. I hate having to accept it, but I'm getting older every day, and with that comes new issues. I should have known better regarding red meat since gout, kidney and bladder stones are prominant features in my family line. We make uric acid like crazy it seems. Too bad we can't sell it.

Yeah, its all dependent on body chemistry, that quirky genetic luck-of-the-draw. Everybody is different and not everyone responds to the same thing.

One more note about gout is that it occurs in "flareups", meaning that you can go a long time without symptoms but there is a sudden "tipping point" when the uric acid builds up to a certain level and triggers the inflammatory response. So just be aware that it probably is not truly gone when it stops hurting. Sucks I know, but thats just how it is.

• Like 1

1.  NSAIDS are mainstay of treatment.  Over the counter includes Ibuprofen which can go up to 800mg 3x/day.  Naproxen up to 500 mg 2x daily.  Indomethacin is prescription.  Choose one and go with it.  Always better with food and avoid this class if stomach issues or kidney issues.

2.  For acute treatment we'll also often throw in some cholchicine which is no longer generic so costs a fortune but works well for acute flairs.  Here and there steroids if someone doesn't tolerate NSAIDS.

3.  If it's a recurrent problem which gout often is we usually check a uric acid level between flairs and then treat with daily allopurinol adjusting the dose to reduce the uric acid level to 6.0 or less.  Allopurinol can however prolong a flare so it is usually stopped during flares but used to try to prevent them.

4.  Diagnosis is often just by location and looking at it but definite diagnosis requires sticking a needle in the affected joint and sending the fluid in where as previously mentioned the specific type of crystals are seen.  Sometimes it tricky to know if the red inflamed sore joint is gout or could be a septic (infected) joint.

5.  I don't personally know about the cherry stuff since I've never read or tried it but the rest of the diet advice mentioned above is spot on.  

Good Luck!

• Like 1

Picked up some cran/cherry last night. Gonna try it later today. Still doing the water and avoiding the hfc syrups. Minor lingering pain now. Working more on getting my full range of motion back. I will say that not drinking soda all week has really tamed down my frequent heartburn considerably. I think I'll stick to water permanently.

DLT,

MAKE SURE YOU READ THE LIST OF INGREDIENTS ON WHATEVER JUICE YOU BUY, AS A LOT OF THEM DO CONTAIN HFC SYRUP.

I'M NOT ENTIRELY SURE, BUT I'M THINKING THAT HFC CAN HIDE BEHIND THE RATHER BROAD TERM OF "NATURAL FLAVORS".

ANYONE OUT THERE WITH THE KNOWLEDGE TO CONFIRM/DENY?

JESS

GUYS,

MADE A CHOW-RUN TO W-MART ABOUT 0400 THIS MORNING, AND BROUGHT BACK A COUPLE OF EXEMPLARS:

post-45478-0-22167900-1411832610_thumb.jpg

post-45478-0-86113300-1411832723_thumb.jpg

THE INGREDIENTS.

NOTE CANE SUGAR, NO HFC HERE.

I RECOMMEND A CAN, EVERY OTHER DAY, FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS, BARRING ANY BAD GASTRO ISSUES (READ: THE POOPS).

$2.88 PER CAN.

JESS1344

Edited by JESS1344