bolt hold open

Hey everyone, now to the forums just purchased a saiga 12 a few days back. Having an issue with the factory bolt hold open, seems like the spring came off or is missing as it freely moves up and does not come down unless I pull the tab. Does anyone have a picture of what the area where the spring on the bho lever should look like? Thanks in advance

When we service a customer's S-12 internals we modify the BHO in a few ways to make it more user friendly, remove any friction, and cut a small notch into the shelf the spring sits on, to prevent it from ever slipping off.

Uploading a couple of pics now with a before after.... hold on a sec.

post-1293-0-63990800-1411662643_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-15212500-1411662681_thumb.jpg

And here is another mod we do for folks who want to use the axis pin retainer plate. The safety goes in last with those so the BHO needs to be notched out for it to clear.

post-1293-0-18437300-1411663390_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the reply, I dont know what its supposed to look like in the receiver or rather what the spring installed should look like in the receiver. I think I'm missing the spring entirely, but maybe I just can't see it. Very helpful info so far though, thanks again.

If you can remove the return spring and bolt carrier from the shotgun, then look down bewteen the right side wall of receiver and the BHO. You should see the rear leg of the BHO spring resting on the floor of the receiver there. That last pic I posted shows what the spring looks like removed. The coil goes around the pin just above the slot for the BHO. If you see it take a small dental pic or similar tool and grab the rear leg & lift it up, twisting it up and over the little shelf on the BHO with the tab pushed down all the way through the slot. You can then use some needle nose pliers or a hemostat to put a small bend in the spring to keep it on there better.

Hope that helps.

That is highly unlikely in an unconverted gun are you sure it isn't just hidden in there? Although after some even worse things I've seen I would not be surprised at all if they left it out. Hell they forget to drill gas ports or put pistons in some guns...

CSS I believe sells a replacement spring. Check their business section for a link to their store. Should be able to just click on the banner.

CSS has lots of great stuff, so you can probably find some other items to go with your spring.

The shipping is flat rate and you can average your shipping cost out over several items, while supporting a great company that supports the forum.  

I don't recommend changing a thing with the gas system until you are sure it runs good on low brass. If it doesn't then gas system changes are not the best answer, FCG and BCG work is. That is of course after a visual gas port inspection tells you if you have an adequate number of unobstructed ports.

• 4 weeks later...

So a little late, but I found the spring is there just well hidden. However ive managed to marr the side of the receiver trying to remove the pins and neither the one that holds the hammer  or the one closer tot he safety pivot point will come out! anger.gif  it did not look that hard to do in the youtube vids, and yes im tapping them from the safety side. any ideas?