Sign in to follow this  
scattergun10

Ultimak vs. TWS Rail

Sorry if this has been covered before, (certainly seems like it would have been) but I did a search and didn't find anything specific.

I have only run irons on my AKs up to this point, but am considering both of the rail systems mentioned along with an optic of some sort. I don't know much about either system to be honest. Is this like an apples to oranges comparison? The obvious difference is of course the mounting location, gas tube mount vs. top cover mount.

Just trying to get some input from those who have used both, which they prefer, and why.

Thanks in advance.   

just finishing up this project. I ended up using both systems, both rock solid. I modded my ultimak to mount the Chaos bolt on HK sights, as everyone knows the ultimak sits lower than the tws, had to raise the front .28 to have an even co-plane with chaos rear sight. please excuse the unpainted ultimak mod, still waiting on UPS for duracoat

2014-09-26172500_zps31aa9008.jpg

2014-09-26173044_zps93e02834.jpg

just finishing up this project. I ended up using both systems, both rock solid. I modded my ultimak to mount the Chaos bolt on HK sights, as everyone knows the ultimak sits lower than the tws, had to raise the front .28 to have an even co-plane with chaos rear sight. please excuse the unpainted ultimak mod, still waiting on UPS for duracoat

Nice!

If you had to choose just one though,which would it be?  

Nice!

If you had to choose just one though,which would it be?  

id go with the tws, I like the optic further back.... besides the ultimak is no place to a "budget" optic due to the heat

I'll second whats been said, if your gonna run magnified optics TWS all the way , unless you wanna run a pistol scope or red dot Ultimak all the way (cheaper)

RS Regulate side mounts. No need to change one of the proven parts of the AK system, just add a lightweight sidemount,

+1, tried it, but ultimately went a different route. sometimes the simplest solution is overlooked