promag magazines, pros and cons

DAMNIT,

THOUGH I HAVEN'T FLOGGED THEM HARD, I'VE HAD ZERO PROBS WITH THE 12 AND 15RND. S-12 MAGS.

I'VE OBSERVED THAT OTHERS REPORT THE SAME WITH THE S-12 DRUMS.

NO EXPERIENCE WITH THEIR 20RND. DRUMS.

YOU COULDN'T RUN FAST ENOUGH TO GIVE ME ONE OF THEIR STICK MAGS, BASED ON WHAT TOO MANY OTHERS REPORT, NEVER WASTED ANY MONEY ON THEM TO PERSONALLY FIND OUT.

THEIR .410 DRUM WORKED FINE AFTER I FULLY LOADED IT AND LET IT SIT FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS, TO LET THE SPRING TAKE A SET.

IT WAS, IMHO, AND IN THE OPINION OF OTHERS, THAT THE SPRING WAS SET A COUPLE OF TICS TOO TIGHT.

THERE WAS AT LEAST ONE GUY THAT OPENED HIS UP, AND BACKED THE SPRING SETTING OFF, JUST A BIT, AND IT DID JUST FINE.

I ALSO DID A BIT OF TWEAKING ON THE GUN, TO GET THINGS HEARDED TOWARDS THE CHAMBER IN PROPER ORDER, BUT THAT'S A SEPARATE ISSUE FROM THE DRUM.

JESS1344

Their poly mix seems to be very flexible, and causes problems with the sticks. The spring steel feed lips cause the magazines to bow inward and jam.. Many people report the drums as being pretty good, I'd still suggest the MD arms drum for the 20 round and the Pro mag for their 12 round drum.

When we made our steel magazines we had no intention of trying to compete with promag in pricing, since their magazine is cheaper than our materials and processing.. We only try to compete with the factory 8 round magazines which we do at about half the cost.

• Like 3

Their products seemed to be a mixed bag of quality, so if you buy some, keep that in mind. I would never trust my life them if this is your home defense gun. I think it was cobra who posted some pics of brand new s12 mag springs falling apart.

That being said, I do plan to get some of their extended 9mm xdm mags for the range eventually

The 10 rounds mags are hit or miss. There was a supposed fix for them posted here on the board but in the ones I have tried it with over time the polymer seems to revert back to it's original flex, which causes the binding others mentioned. Not reliable for anything other than the range, and you will still most likely have to clear a jam or two with each 10 round mag.

No experience with the drums, but they have excellent reviews. Right now CSS steel mags seem to be the only 100% reliable US made mag for the S12....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Their products seemed to be a mixed bag of quality, so if you buy some, keep that in mind. I would never trust my life them if this is your home defense gun. I think it was cobra who posted some pics of brand new s12 mag springs falling apart.

That being said, I do plan to get some of their extended 9mm xdm mags for the range eventually

Yes that was me posting pics of the rusty springs in two mags self destructing. I was on the phone with their warranty department yesterday in fact, asking if they could please send me a replacement back plate for a 20 round drum I have with broken tabs, I inquired also about the two mags I have that are useless without springs. They said they fixed that issue with the springs and could send me the replacement springs no problem. They also said they will send a whole new drum if I return the one with broken tabs. I am glad they are honoring their lifetime warranty. As far as function goes the drums have always worked for me and people who I have shared mine with. Never one jam or FTF...not ONE ever. Can't say that is true for my MD drums but hey I can run over them with my truck if I want so if that makes them better to some well ok... A good warranty dept who actually answers the phone is a good thing IMO. So is a 100% perfect track record for reliability. This one I have with the cracked and / or broken tabs got abused pretty bad but it still works great even with just one tab left undamaged. I also have an MD drum with cracked tabs and screw bosses. If I wanted I could just snap em all off and epoxy the damn back plate on there but I asked them to please just send me a new back plate replacement. I don't want a whole new drum. That's a waste, this one works fine, and has been camo painted to match the rest of the weapon. 

If they won't replace just the back and would rather waste a whole working drum....well we'll see. If that's the case then I guess the MD has one advantage there. You can get extra backs in clear, smoke, or black.

post-1293-0-39161300-1413900878_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-19988200-1413900917_thumb.jpg

• Like 2