Hey Guys:

I treated myself to an SWFA fixed 12 x 42 MRAD (?) scope for my b-day this summer. I've been waiting forever for a chance to go to the range and break-in the rifle upon which it's mounted, and sight-in my scope. It's been bore-sighted. This is a great scope which will allow for long-range shooting. I used TPS rings and base. It's on a Savage 10 FCP-K in .308.

My problem is I realize I have a scope that's beyond my own knowledge of scope usage at the moment. I'm used to regular cross-hairs. I can sight-in this scope at the local range to a typical 100 - 200 yards like with deer rifles. However, I got the gun it's on for reaching targets farther than that. So if I happen to estimate a target is at 530 yards ... that's nice. Now what do I do? How do you know how much to click your elevation knob for a given distance? I suppose this is where ballistic tables come into play.

I understand how to adjust a scope to get it on target while sighting-in. However, I've seen tons of videos of guys determining range and then adjusting their scopes to make perfect shots. How do you that? I always assumed once you sight-in a scope like this to a given distance you can use the rest of the reticle to adjust aim for other distances. Let's say I sight-in at 100 yds. My thinking is you'd go down to the third dash on the lower vertical line (after the second diamond) for a 500 yard shot. I bet that's probably incorrect.

Please pardon my ignorance. I hope I'm explaining things accurately. This scope didn't come with directions about how to actually use it. The shooter's knowledge is assumed. Are there directions anywhere for this reticle? I'm not a sniper. I'm just a regular guy trying to learn how to really shoot, but I think I've put the cart before the horse a little bit. I know I have a wonderful rifle/scope combination, but right now I am the weakest link. I'd be wasting precious .308 ammo. 

It's like I got an F-16 when I'm still learning to fly a Cessna. I would think there are ways to use this scope without needing copious ballistic tables. I don't doubt this kind of reticle has features I'm not even aware of.

The main thing is my scope makes my rifle look really cool (joking). Thanks.

12XReticle.jpg

Number #1, find the manual for that scope, or a similar MRAD scope.

Then learn the math needed to take full advantage of it.

Next thing you'll need to do take full advantage of a scoped rifle in target shooting is to start recording every detail of every round fired.

Know the ballistics of each round & how every type of weather affects it.

Find one or two rounds that shoot best in your rifle, commercial or handloads, & stick to those.

Once you've zeroed your scope & ammo, and you know your ammo's ballistics.

Then you'll be able to dial in to a target at any known range.

The best thing I've ever done in order to learn something new, is to seek formal training.

This usually involves laying out substantial money, but real training in a skill is invaluable.

Next, sometimes better or worse, is finding a mentor.

But with a mentor be careful you may be taught their bad habits or worse.

Finding the right mentor can be a challenge, just as much as finding one willing to teach in the first place.

Third is to teach yourself, internet & books, start reading & practicing, start with the most basic skills & work up.

Pretend you know nothing & relearn it all.