Vepr with the 20" barrel, spits out SGM 10/12 rd.mags

This shotgun has the thru-the-trigger guard mag release as opposed to the "normal" Vepr mag paddle. I can only get a few 1300fps rounds downrange before the mag drops out..... Inspection shows what looks like the Vepr mag catch on this thru the trigger guard mag release is not going far enough up the SGM mag catch....Any one else have this occurrence?... I've got the Vepr 12 ga. folder and do not have the problem using the same mags....I've thought of just converting the mag paddle to the normal AK style.... NO, I'm not going to file the SGM mags as they work just fine in my other Vepr....I've tried streaching the mag release spring... (didn't help). Factory 5 rounders are ok...I don't like the cheek thingie on the Vepr folder and was hoping to use the 20" barrel gun as I've modded it to just what I want...

I shoot in competition and this is NOT good for my scores....I've changed the AK mag paddle before..(a pain, but can do it)... WHERE IS THE DRUM!!!!...

Edited by mikeAZ
  • 1 month later...

Well, I finally fixed this problem...THE "Problem" was the Vepr double sided mag latch.... it just couldn't ride up into the SGM mag engagement area far enough.. I'm not knocking the SGM mags at all!!!.... The poor engagement at the rear of the SGM mags was the result of the Vepr's change to the "competition" style mag release on the 20" barrel model I received!!!..... THE FIX,..... I painted the SGM mag engagement area on the mag with white quick dry paint (finger nail polish)... it was VERY obvious that there was minimal engagement...thus the mag would drop out after firing.  I removed the Vepr double sided mag release. This was stamped into a "U", the tips on either side of the release of the "U" were then  filed to about a 45 degree angle as this area was limiting engagement. (The "ends" of the "U" dug into the mag engagement area, stopping further engagement)...Now the "paddle" mag release looks more like an AK 47 style release.... THIS FIX also explains why I didn't have this  retention problem on my other Vepr using the SAME mags but which has the "single" AK 47 style mag paddle which has MORE engagement on the SGM mag. I tested all five 10 and 12 round mags, worked 100% with all... WHERE IS MY DRUM?????.....I"M SUFFERING from gotta have one Ittis. Mike

Edited by mikeAZ
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The mag catch is shaped similar to a "U"... I had to remove a small amount of material from the "U's" legs with a file. It now looks more like a regular mag paddle, but with "legs".... Go slow & don't take off too much... You will be able to see the paddle move higher on the SGM mag which ='s more mag enguagement