Trouble with Light Loads

So, I took my new VEPR out, and it won't eat Winchester white-box, or the Fiocchi trap load.  It also isn't real fond of Remington "gun club". Lots of FTE with each of these.

Is that normal?  Can I get it to eat anything? Do I need to polish up the surfaces like I did with my Saiga, or does it just need a little more break-in?

If I have to re-profile the hammer, I can live with it.  I still need to replace the FCG, anyhow.

I think most people here would recommend the normal Saiga procedure. That is start with reducing any friction in the bolt, carrier, reciever area first. See how that affects cyclying. The make more major mods if still needed. I would say, make sure your loads are 3 dram, about 1225 fps, or more. I usually go for 3 1/4 dram, 1255 fps, and haven't had any issues.

Shoot two hundred rounds of 3" before fucking with it! It was never intended for cheap trap loads, but most will run it after breaking in.

I have also heard hand racking your gun a few hundred times can get similar break-in results. And its cheaper. :)

Edited by Skoodge

Please don't waste your money on strong loads. That is like saying to run a bunch of premium fuel in your car to make it run better on low grade gas. Do you think that will work? Rack it by hand violently for about 15 minutes if you want to see what hundreds of rounds of "high brass" would do and tell us how much of a difference it made when you try some of that cheap ammo again. You could almost send the internals out to Cobra for a significant and noticeable improvement for what it costs for 200 rounds of the average "high brass" ammo.

• Like 1