8 replies to this topic

#1 Spacehog

Spacehog

Citizen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:01 PM

Started this project in another thread, and decided to give it it's own thread to keep that one from getting too off topic. As opposed to buying a PSL, I decided to go for a Dragonov look with a stock 23" VEPR .308 that I had in the safe. I ordered a set of SVD furniture from Rhineland Arms in tiger maple, and did some modifying on the edges to suit my personal tastes:

Attached File  image.jpg   92.22KB   0 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   125.67KB   0 downloads

I wanted a wood cheek riser to replace the rubber one that came from RA. I ordered a top choice 18" tiger maple blank from BellForest woods for $10:

Attached File  image.jpg   80.12KB   0 downloads

I used an old UTG picatinny rail mount bipod that I modified to mount directly to the hand guard close to the receiver to reduce the potential of POI variances with the bipod down or shooting off hand with it up:

Attached File  image.jpg   154.91KB   0 downloads

VEPR with wood fitted and bipod attached:

Attached File  image.jpg   75.88KB   0 downloads

Next was to tackle the new cheek riser. I used a table saw and router to form the shape I wanted using the existing cheek riser as a template. Here is the stock with the rubber cheek riser before:

Attached File  image.jpg   93.85KB   0 downloads

And with the new cheek riser I fabricated:

Attached File  image.jpg   105.31KB   0 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   121.95KB   0 downloads

I used Aquafortis (Nitric & HCl acid with dissolved iron in it) to historically finish the tiger maple and make the vertical figure pop. It was the first time I have used it and there is a learning curve...the first being when applying heat to get the iron to blush, a hair dryer takes too long and a propane torch runs the risk of charring the surface. I see a heat gun purchase in my near future. Still it turned out pretty well:

Attached File  image.jpg   159.43KB   0 downloads

Run out of room for pics on this post. Next post will cover finishing the Aquafortis with Tru-oil.
  • G O B, HighPlainsDrifter and JESS1344 like this

#2 Spacehog

Spacehog

Citizen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:08 PM

Here is the Aquafortis with the first coat of Tru-oil. This is where the grain of the wood really starts to come out:

Attached File  image.jpg   230.2KB   0 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   75.36KB   0 downloads

Waiting for it to dry overnight before sanding it back and applying a couple more coats. It should have a nice hand-rubbed look with a tiger eye effect from the chatoyance of the wood grain when done.

I will finish it up with a Tabuk style flash hider and POSP that I currently have on order from Kalinka.

Will post up pics when it is done.
  • G O B, ChileRelleno, HighPlainsDrifter and 1 other like this

#3 G O B

G O B

Grumpy Old Bastard

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,853 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:21 AM

That is a real looker!

• Spacehog likes this

Freelance Philosopher and Professor Emeritus, School of Hard Knocks and Sharp Blows to the Head

Be yourself, for if you are NOT yourself, then who the hell are you?

"so is the soap they use to brainwash you environmentally safe?" (Bucky Katt)

#4 scattergun10

scattergun10

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:31 AM

Wow,that is gorgeous!   

• Spacehog likes this

#5 Spacehog

Spacehog

Citizen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:27 AM

Thanks guys. The hardest part of every project is patiently waiting for the finishing coats to dry. Rush them and they will turn out like crap. Unfortunately they can take several days to do right. I broke a cardinal rule of mine last night and mocked up the gun before the furniture was finished. It was dry, but not cured. Still I couldn't wait to see how it would look on the rifle. Here are a couple of crappy cell phone pics in bad lighting:

Attached File  image.jpg   126.23KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   180.04KB   0 downloads
  • G O B, Shandlanos, ChileRelleno and 1 other like this

#6 ChileRelleno

ChileRelleno

Man will ultimately be governed by God or by tyrants. Our choice

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 06:19 PM

Gorgeous, I want to do the same with my S.308-ver.21.

How high will the cheek rest rise?

I need at least 2.25" above the factory stock with my current setup.

Anyone know if the slant cut of the Saiga.308-ver.21 is the same or similar enough to work with Vepr furniture?

Edited by ChileRelleno, 12 October 2014 - 07:34 PM.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee... Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."
Mihail Timofeevič Kalašnikov
:
"I am still ready to shake hands with anyone who designs a better assault rifle than mine.
USPA# 106617, D#24868, 600+ jumps in 42/50 states, 36 fixed & 6 rotary winged aircraft, Highest 28,000'-Lowest 1,500', Reserve Rides-5, Injuries-1... SKYDIVE!

#7 Spacehog

Spacehog

Citizen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:36 AM

I have been out of town, so I do not have an exact measurement, but I can safely say you can get at least 3" over the factory stock with the cheek riser above. I do not have a Ver 21 Saiga to compare the slant cut with the VEPR, but the RA stocks do not have a slant cut milled into the stock. The stock fits inside the receiver, and is not flush with the receiver. This is a draw back to the overall look and is where the ironwood furniture is superior. However, in your case, it may actually be a benefit if there is some difference in the slant cut angle.

I will get some close up pics and measurements for you when I get back home Wed, and post them up here.

#8 Spacehog

Spacehog

Citizen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:05 AM

Chile,
The slant cut on the VEPR is 42 degrees from the straight edge at the bottom of the receiver. Let me know if you need any additional measurements. Below are pics of how the RA stock slides into the receiver for reference:

Attached File  image.jpg   153.89KB   0 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   174.98KB   0 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   196.95KB   0 downloads

You can see from the last pic that the angle will not matter as much if it is close because the stock fits inside the receiver as opposed to flush with the slant cut edge.

Attached File  image.jpg   149.83KB   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   146.82KB   0 downloads

The pics above show the cheek riser at full extension and where mine will stay. A 1/4" rise is all I need to achieve perfect cheek weld with the 8x POSP mounted. Extended fully the cheek rest give 2 1/4" rise over the stock.

I still have not gotten this rifle finished. Having issues with the final coat of Tru-oil and keep sanding it back and re-applying. I am OCD and want it perfect, but I am about ready to apply the wax and call it done.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you need anymore measurements.

#9 Spacehog

Spacehog

Citizen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:35 PM

Finished pics as promised:

Original gun is far left:

Attached File  image.jpg   156.34KB   0 downloads

Completed project:

Attached File  image.jpg   268.72KB   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   164.35KB   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   120.79KB   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   99.35KB   0 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   155.22KB   0 downloads

Done with build projects for a while. Time to do some more reloading and enjoy them.
  • G O B likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: VEPR, SVD, Dragonov, Rhineland Arms, Aquafortis, Tiger Maple

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users