Saiga 12 SBS - Upper Gas Block Pin!!!!

I need to uncover some of the gas ports by removing the gas block (11.5" and it wont cycle 2 3/4 00 buck) and modifying.

However I cannot get the upper pin to move (from either side).

Ive tried 2 sets of punches, sledge hammer, 24oz hammer.

Any suggestions?

sbs.jpg

Edited by sig55672

Yup that did it...20 ton with a modified 3/32 punch.  Now I have to figure out how to get the gas block off.

Oddly, the gas system detent didn't go flying out like everyone claims. Its still in the gun and functional; not sure whats retaining it.  Left the SBS upright with penetrating oil to see if its easier to remove in the morning.

This stuff is not all that hard. Assuming the correct pins are indeed removed, smack the gas block from the left and right a few times with a mallet. If you notice it is canted after smacking it, it is ready to come off. Drive it off by the lug on the bottom. Make sure the weapon if firmly supported while doing all of this.

If I had not had the 20 ton press I don't think it would have come out.  There is no way that upper pin was coming out with a punch and hammer. When the upper pin finally moved is sounded similar to pushing a barrel retaining pin out...(ping!). It also bent the punch I modified/shortened. Once it was 1/3 the way out I could use a hammer the rest of the way.  My saiga is one of the early ones back when they were $299 and originally started as a 20"+ model.

Post pics of the gas holes once I get the block off.

Edited by sig55672

Is the detent pin stuck too? It could be stuck there . Soak everything in penetrating oil overnight. The tap the detent pin in a RCH  If you have a heat gun heat the whole block as hot as you can without blistering the paint. If you are gonna paint it heat it hotter. Then spray the hell out of it with brake cleaner until is feels cold. The thermal shock and oil will break the bond so it will press out.

After removing the pins, If you had trouble getting the gas block off like I did and were concerned about getting the block back on, I heated the gas block in the oven at about 300 degrees to expand it. It dropped right over the cool barrel.