Photo
- - - - -

Best Mags for Unmodified 5.45 with no BG?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 conncarl

conncarl

• 7 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:50 PM

Hey guys, new to the 5.45 but not to Saigas.

Just curious, for those of you with factory-stock, unmodified 5.45s with no bullet guide, what are you using for hi-cap mags?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ODGreenThumb

ODGreenThumb

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:42 PM

I've had great luck with Bulgarian surplus mags. Probably close to 99% with no BG. The 1% for me is the last round not chambering. It goes nose up but is easy to clear. I have not had good luck with tapco mags. I don't know what others think about them but I can't say they're garbage because I don't have a bullet guide installed. I bought a BG but haven't sat down to install it yet. Seems i have a couple bulgy mags that have been 100%, rest 99%. I'd just get the bullet guide if you're concerned.

Edit: mine is converted and compliant. Are you 922 compliant using standard capacity mags in an unconverted saiga anyway?

Edited by ODGreenThumb, 09 October 2014 - 09:48 PM.

#3 Shandlanos

Shandlanos

Guy who finally figured out how to change his title

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:59 PM

The best would be Russian factory hi-caps for Saiga rifles, as they have the BG built into the mag. Failing that, miscellaneous polymer surplus mags have a good reputation. Bulgarian, Russian, etc.

This would be my signature if I had anything important to say.

Bebo, ergo sum.

#4 conncarl

conncarl

• 7 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:12 PM

The best would be Russian factory hi-caps for Saiga rifles, as they have the BG built into the mag. Failing that, miscellaneous polymer surplus mags have a good reputation. Bulgarian, Russian, etc.

Definitely agree. I've never actually seen Saiga-branded hi-caps, though. Closest I've found are SGM Tactical (AKA Surefire) mags, which I have in 7.62 and .223. But they don't seem to offer any in 5.45.

The only other 5.45/30 mags with a built-in BG that I know of are the Promags. The early ones suck, though. Supposedly they have an improved version but I haven't tried those yet.

Can't convert the Saigas here because of our AWB. Don't want to modify them at all, just to play it safe.

#5 ODGreenThumb

ODGreenThumb

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:18 PM

I've never even seen the original promags. Anyone have any info on these? I can't even remember seeing factory 5.45 mags. I have two 10 round factory mags. I only have two because my first iz240 key holed so bad I had to send it back to RAAC for a replacement. I accidentally kept the mag for my troubles.

#6 Shandlanos

Shandlanos

Guy who finally figured out how to change his title

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:33 AM

Factory Saiga high-caps are extremely rare and expensive - you won't really find them around.

This would be my signature if I had anything important to say.

Bebo, ergo sum.

#7 conncarl

conncarl

• 7 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:37 AM

Anybody else try the Bulgy commercial mags, with the metal liner but plastic locking tabs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users