Best Mags for Unmodified 5.45 with no BG?

I've had great luck with Bulgarian surplus mags. Probably close to 99% with no BG. The 1% for me is the last round not chambering. It goes nose up but is easy to clear. I have not had good luck with tapco mags. I don't know what others think about them but I can't say they're garbage because I don't have a bullet guide installed. I bought a BG but haven't sat down to install it yet. Seems i have a couple bulgy mags that have been 100%, rest 99%. I'd just get the bullet guide if you're concerned.

Edit: mine is converted and compliant. Are you 922 compliant using standard capacity mags in an unconverted saiga anyway?

Edited by ODGreenThumb

The best would be Russian factory hi-caps for Saiga rifles, as they have the BG built into the mag. Failing that, miscellaneous polymer surplus mags have a good reputation. Bulgarian, Russian, etc.

The best would be Russian factory hi-caps for Saiga rifles, as they have the BG built into the mag. Failing that, miscellaneous polymer surplus mags have a good reputation. Bulgarian, Russian, etc.

Definitely agree. I've never actually seen Saiga-branded hi-caps, though. Closest I've found are SGM Tactical (AKA Surefire) mags, which I have in 7.62 and .223. But they don't seem to offer any in 5.45.

The only other 5.45/30 mags with a built-in BG that I know of are the Promags. The early ones suck, though. Supposedly they have an improved version but I haven't tried those yet.

Can't convert the Saigas here because of our AWB. Don't want to modify them at all, just to play it safe.

I've never even seen the original promags. Anyone have any info on these? I can't even remember seeing factory 5.45 mags. I have two 10 round factory mags. I only have two because my first iz240 key holed so bad I had to send it back to RAAC for a replacement. I accidentally kept the mag for my troubles.