Hello, I just recently shot my new Saiga at the range. It was quite a good time except that I couldn't aim for butts!

See I have a stock with a cheek-rest, and the ear muffs they give you at the range were so clunky they kept me from looking down the iron sights. And of course when I go hunting or if I'm in a home defense situation I don't want to go deaf.

So does anyone have suggestions for effective hearing protection that won't interfere with aiming my shotgun?

We have three pairs of Howard Leight Impact Sport, great for both their noise reduction & amplification.

Relatively lightweight & thin, they've lasted several years

opplanet-howard-leight-impact-sound-mana

http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/reviews-howard-leight-impact-sound-management-electronic-hearing-proctection-earmuffs-r01526.html

I like them enough to have written a review of them on  another firearms forum.

Pros
Very Comfortable
Lightweight
Good volume control & easy to use
Excellent sound amplification
Excellent sound dampening
Slim profile did not affect my cheek weld

Without plugs,
I could hear people talking 100' away like they were next to me... These things are great for eavesdropping 018.gif 011.gif
The sound of shots were very effectively cut out, and the noise reduction was significantly better than plugs alone.

With plugs,
conversation at any distance was like it was unamplified.
Overall noise reduction was fantastic with plugs/muffs combined.
Cons
Picks up a little wind noise.
Will be hot during summer months. ETA: Used'em thru the summer and they weren't too hot.
100% satisfied

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 2

My son and I have custom molded ear plugs and absolutely love them.  I had them done while I waited in under a half an hour.

It's really nice to not have muffs on my head.  They cost me $65.  Highly recommend finding someone similar.

I'm posting the link the guy who did mine in case you want to give him a call and see if he can point you in the right direction in your area if you're interested.

jandcears.com

I also did a search on custom molded hearing protection for shooting and came up with quite a few results of things that look very similar.

i'm thinking in an ideal situation where i can actually put on my glasses and get my gun out in time if i'm conked out, or since i'm a night person if some dillweed decides to break in the ground floor whilst i'm in the basement i could possible avoid permanent hearing loss

I don't wish to sound condescending but the last thing you need to think about in a home defense situation is hearing protection.

Ehhh no so sure about that.

Keeping a good electronic set of noise clipping ear buds next to the grab in the dark gear aint a terrible idea.

Disorienting as hell to lose hearing in a crisis. Best thing about em is they amplify sounds lower than the clip point 110db IIRC so one can hear really well wearing them.

Look at this way, those guys that break into houses at night for a living... you know SWAT... have it.

i'm thinking in an ideal situation where i can actually put on my glasses and get my gun out in time if i'm conked out, or since i'm a night person if some dillweed decides to break in the ground floor whilst i'm in the basement i could possible avoid permanent hearing loss

Fair enough. I'm thinking about protecting your life first and your hearing second.

Cudos for asking advise!

y'okay, i guess what i was thinking of was "banded ear plugs" are those good for not going deaf?

these specifically: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081SONX8/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687562&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0008GKHYA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0SA62WNXVFJJESGXXTFK

Edited by JDeko

^^^^ Same thing as above, but camo...  They also act as game ears by amplifying your hearing.

Yes, they'll suffice nicely.  But they also cut your normal hearing, so hearing where an intruder is would be impossible.

Edited by ChileRelleno

I like to use electronic muffs and plugs whenever can.  These http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1413078635&sr=1-1&keywords=Howard+Leight work well when paired with plugs.  I generally use the 3M plugs http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Combat-Arms-Earplugs/dp/B000W2CPCC/ref=sr_1_9?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1413078764&sr=1-9&keywords=3M+ear+plugs marketed under several brand names as well.  I'm using muffs from Brownells http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/ear-eye-protection/ear-muffs/brownells-pro-series-hearing-protection-prod43970.aspx now and i like them alot.  I use the same setup for both rifle and pistol.  I just pull the muff on my strong side up on my head and continue to use the muff on the other ear.

^^^^ Same thing as above, but camo...  They also act as game ears by amplifying your hearing.

Yes, they'll suffice nicely.  But they also cut your normal hearing, so hearing where an intruder is would be impossible.

well that makes them pretty badass for target shooting then. i guess i can save up for the active headphones [which i'll have trouble aiming my shotgun whilst wearing]

well that makes them pretty badass for target shooting then. i guess i can save up for the active headphones [which i'll have trouble aiming my shotgun whilst wearing]

To use muff/headphone type protection when shooting long guns you only need to slide the ear cup on your strong side ear up above your ear.  You'll still have protection on the other ear and the plugs that you wear directly in the ear.  That gives you double protection on the weak side ear and you only slide it up when you're on the stock, so you have double protection on both ears most of the range time (i.e. when others are shooting)

I had the same challenge: my right earpierce would get in the way of my cheekweld. Then I took a carbine class where the instructors had us take a more squared-off stance. Instead of the angled shoulder stance I learned forty or more years ago, they had us face the target. Then the instructors said bring the rifle up straight under your right eye, so the sights line up under your right eye. That results in the butstock being more centered on your chest -- on the peck mustle more than on the shoulder. Finally the instructors said just lower your head straight forward with little to no side tilt. I found that my ear protection no longer interferes with my cheek weld. I also feel like the stance is more natural, lower and gives me better lateral movement. The ability to shift quicker to a left side hold and better vision to the left are a bonus. I'm not espousing this for everyone or saying that it is a better stance. It just works better for me. It was either that or get smaller ears.

If you're shooting extremely loud guns like a brake 50 cal, plugs AND muffs are a must unless you want to hear like you're under water for a few days.

A braked 50 is  L O U D !...especially at a covered range!