Forget about ears when in a HD situation! For range shooting or hunting any slim line set of muffs will work, and the mouldable ear plugs do work, but the amplified muffs let you hear game, or range commands.

I use MSA Supremes, they have a low profile and don't bother me when shooting long guns.  I also double plug when in a closed environment, when ROing or when shooting loud rifles.  I've had professionally made fitted plugs but they cost about $50 or $60 bucks and my daughter's dog thinks they taste great.  Now I mold my own with a kit that cost less than $10.

Doug

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/ear-eye-protection/ear-muffs/msa-electronic-hearing-protector-sku749008358-38339-71456.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/ear-eye-protection/ear-plugs/custom-molded-ear-plugs-prod27163.aspx?ctl00$ucheaderSearch$btnSubmitSearch=Search

Appos for going slightly off topic in advance.

Reading these I get the thought that a lot of folks have a set scenario in their heads concerning a wee hours HD event.

Perhaps it is the one most likely, if a poll was ever taken I am not aware of it,  perhaps not. It is possible one can find himself with no forewarning and only seconds to respond in that case you may well be limited to to whatever is on that firearm (light laser etc) if that. However it is also likely to have a minute or two IF one's foresight has allowed it. Alarms dogs etc... I dont allow one pit bull to sleep at the foot of bed and the other in living room because I like how they make the house smell.

IF you have time let me pass this on, ruptured eardrums are debilitating. The one and only time it happened I learned a valuable lesson, avoid that shit.

Should it ever arise and that 12g has to be discharged indoors I will likely have my hearing in tact only due to thinking about it advance.

I may also be able to see in the dark what.gif

• 3 years later...

Really your best bet is to go with earplugs and muffs together.  This way you dont have to break the bank for a really expensive set of muffs.  You can get the Howard Leight or Peltor Sport models, as well as the walker's razor slim.  

There are also some great electronic earplugs available, if you don't want to wear muffs, again from Peltor, the TEP 100 or 200 would be a good choice.

You can find out more here:  Hearing protection for Shooting Ranges (indoor and outdoor)

I personally just use Laser Leights and HL Impact Sport together, its never let me down! I also didnt have to break the bank