Health care worker at Dallas hospital tests positive for Ebola

NYT is claiming we should know more later today.

Pull the other one then... 

This woman was following protocol set out by CDC and yet here she be.

NYT link

I just got word from an Active Duty friend of mine who just arrived in Monrovia, Liberia. They were briefed not to touch anyone. So, what are they there for exactly?

Lab rats?

Political expendables? 

Hell I dont know, trying to understand this insanity is getting pointless.

• Like 1

Put your tin foil hat on,

Ebola was brought to the US to show how we are not so special.

After all why should we be exempt from it.

The progressives want a lot less people on the world.

• Like 3

So those of us who were worried were all a bunch of Chicken LIttles.

So many "experts" telling us there is nothing to worry about.  It's not airborne they said.  Our hospitals can take care of this they said.

http://www.texashealth.org/news-alert.cfm?id=1629&action=detail&ref=1885

Statement from Dr. Dan Varga, Oct. 12, 7:30 a.m. CDT
10/12/2014

Ebola Virus

News and Updates

Get the latest news, answers 
and resource links.

Learn More

Statement from Dr. Dan Varga, Chief Clinical Officer, Senior Executive Vice President

Late Saturday, a preliminary blood test on a care-giver at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas showed positive for Ebola. The healthcare worker had been under the self-monitoring regimen prescribed by the CDC, based on involvement in caring for patient Thomas Eric Duncan during his inpatient care that started on September 28.

Individuals being monitored are required to take their temperature twice daily. As a result of that procedure, the care-giver notified the hospital of imminent arrival and was immediately admitted to the hospital in isolation. The entire process, from the patient’s self-monitoring to the admission into isolation, took less than 90 minutes. The patient’s condition is stable. A close contact has also been proactively placed in isolation. The care-giver and the family have requested total privacy, so we can’t discuss any further details of the situation.

We have known that further cases of Ebola are a possibility among those who were in contact with Mr. Duncan before he passed away last week. The system of monitoring, quarantine and isolation was established to protect those who cared for Mr. Duncan as well as the community at large by identifying any potential ebola cases as early as possible and getting those individuals into treatment immediately.

Finally, we have put the ED on “diversion” until further notice because of limitations in staffed capacity — meaning ambulances are not currently bringing patients to our emergency department. While we are on diversion we are also using this time to further expand the margin of safety by triple-checking our full compliance with updated CDC guidelines. We are also continuing to monitor all staff who had some relation to Mr. Duncan’s care even if they are not assumed to be at significant risk of infection.

All of these steps are being taken so the public and our own employees can have complete confidence in the safety and integrity of our facilities and the care we provide.

Wendell Watson, Director
Public Relations
682-236-6963

Let me throw this out there. I work in the health care business and I will refuse to accept care for an Ebola pt. Fortunately, that risk is very, very low for me due to the nature of my services. The CDC and the .gov ARE LYING TO US.

That dumbass that heads the CDC says totally stupid shit like "if we close the borders it will get worse" "and wearing MORE protective gear will actually increase your risk"!

How about, if you put a loaded shot gun in your mouth and pull the trigger, you'll be fine. 40-50% of the population would probably believe that if some shithead or barry said this.

HOW MF'ing stupid do these fackers think we are. This shit is going to get worse because everyone is afraid to discriminate. In the early 20th century if you had typhoid or TB your ass was isolated, quarantined. No ifs, ands, or buts. Otherwise you went to jail but today, because of the stupid PC bullshit a total epidemic is at hand.

The progressive, liberal assholes nightmare will soon become reality and all because they didn't want to offend blacks.

Soon if you are from Africa here in the US nobody will want to be around you or have anything to do with you and yes that means if you are black you're going to get the same treatment by reason of association. Then some one will get shot. It is what it is and this will get worse. They are already trying to cover their assess by saying "unfortunately we will probably see more people test positive", Well, no shit! 

You can say "oh tinfoil blah, blah". Whatever, tell me that when your eyes are bleeding. Prepare yourselves.

• Like 4

Let me throw this out there. I work in the health care business and I will refuse to accept care for an Ebola pt. Fortunately, that risk is very, very low for me due to the nature of my services. The CDC and the .gov ARE LYING TO US.

That dumbass that heads the CDC says totally stupid shit like "if we close the borders it will get worse" "and wearing MORE protective gear will actually increase your risk"!

How about, if you put a loaded shot gun in your mouth and pull the trigger, you'll be fine. 40-50% of the population would probably believe that if some shithead or barry said this.

HOW MF'ing stupid do these fackers think we are. This shit is going to get worse because everyone is afraid to discriminate. In the early 20th century if you had typhoid or TB your ass was isolated, quarantined. No ifs, ands, or buts. Otherwise you went to jail but today, because of the stupid PC bullshit a total epidemic is at hand.

The progressive, liberal assholes nightmare will soon become reality and all because they didn't want to offend blacks.

Soon if you are from Africa here in the US nobody will want to be around you or have anything to do with you and yes that means if you are black you're going to get the same treatment by reason of association. Then some one will get shot. It is what it is and this will get worse. They are already trying to cover their assess by saying "unfortunately we will probably see more people test positive", Well, no shit! 

You can say "oh tinfoil blah, blah". Whatever, tell me that when your eyes are bleeding. Prepare yourselves.

They've also been saying that Ebola is not an airborne disease.That is an outright LIE, it most certainly is airborne! Basically they're trying to convince people that Ebola is like HIV or Hepatitis, absolutely not true.   

Edited by scattergun10

So many "experts" telling us there is nothing to worry about.  It's not airborne they said.  Our hospitals can take care of this they said.

Two people do not an epidemic make.

I'm not worried. I'm quietly preparing for the worst, but I certainly don't expect it. The worst-case scenario I see is a series of minor outbreaks that cause a fraction of a fraction of the damage (both social and economic) caused by people panicking.

They've also been saying that Ebola is not an airborne disease.That is an outright LIE, it most certainly is airborne! Basically they're trying to convince people that Ebola is like HIV or Hepatitis, absolutely not true.   

What?  The only way in which it is "airborne" is in the sense that infected bushmeat and bodily fluids can be thrown through the air. Outside of catching it from being sneezed on, spat on, or ejaculated at, no, you're not catching it through the air. The ebola virus does not survive in the air outside of a fluid. Otherwise the outbreak in West Africa would be an order of magnitude worse and the death toll catastrophic.

Edited by Shandlanos

I'm not worried. I'm quietly preparing for the worst, but I certainly don't expect it. The worst-case scenario I see is a series of minor outbreaks that cause a fraction of a fraction of the damage (both social and economic) caused by people panicking.

What?  The only way in which it is "airborne" is in the sense that infected bushmeat and bodily fluids can be thrown through the air. Outside of catching it from being sneezed on, spat on, or ejaculated at, no, you're not catching it through the air. The ebola virus does not survive in the air outside of a fluid. Otherwise the outbreak in West Africa would be an order of magnitude worse and the death toll catastrophic.

The more people that have it, the better it's chances of mutating, thus airborne is not totally out of the question.

I'd have to agree with you 100% that 2 people don't make an epidemic. 

So for the sake of discussion, at what number of infected people would you be willing to call it an epidemic?

How about 50?  Not enough?  500?  Nope?  What about 5,000?  Would that make it an epidemic?  Cause the number of cases in Africa has already gone over 5,000 and is rising rapidly.

I'm calling that an epidemic.  Not a pandemic.  Not yet.

Since viruses don't give a shit about national borders, and since there is no serious effort to seal the hot zones, the word pandemic could very well be used before long.

Maybe they'll contain it.  Maybe.

You will note that I have said nothing about panic.  Just that the situation is damn serious and could get disastrous.

• Like 1

Absolutely - not entirely out of the question. It's also not entirely out of the question that you'll find seven winning lottery tickets from 5 different nations in your mailbox wrapped in an original signed copy of the Constitution atop a Gutenberg Bible with a sticky note containing the coordinates of Jimmy Hoffa's remain.  If you're not worried about HIV mutating into an airborne strain, you shouldn't be worrying too much about ebola doing the same. A hell of a lot more people have HIV, and nobody's worried about it going airborne - because it's so absurdly improbable.

I'd have to agree with you 100% that 2 people don't make an epidemic. 

So for the sake of discussion, at what number of infected people would you be willing to call it an epidemic?

How about 50?  Not enough?  500?  Nope?  What about 5,000?  Would that make it an epidemic?  Cause the number of cases in Africa has already gone over 5,000 and is rising rapidly.

I'm calling that an epidemic.  Not a pandemic.  Not yet.

Since viruses don't give a shit about national borders, and since there is no serious effort to seal the hot zones, the word pandemic could very well be used before long.

Maybe they'll contain it.  Maybe.

You will note that I have said nothing about panic.  Just that the situation is damn serious and could get disastrous.

I think we're on the same page. West Africa is enduring an epidemic - the United States is not. I don't think you're panicking, and if I seemed to imply that I thought you were, I apologize and wish to clarify. People will panic - it is the nature of human beings to lose rationality when we are in fear. Individuals can be smart - people, taken as a group, are stupid and act stupid. The damage done by panic will be much greater than the damage done by the disease itself.

I think it's wise to quietly lay in food, water, a decent amount of propane and a few camp stoves and catalytic heaters. I don't expect power and gas to suddenly go away - but if dumb panicky animals manage to take down my power lines, or the municipal water supply becomes potentially unsafe I want to be able to eat and drink and stay warm without leaving my home.

Racist!

That's what I mean. Kind of like Pneumonic Plague.

Edited by scattergun10

I've been quietly putting away supplies for a long time.

I see 2 problems.  The deadly infectious virus and the stupid humans.  Deadly virus wants only to spread to new hosts.  Stupid humans carry it to new hosts.

And stupid (some would say criminal) humans have left our economy teetering on collapse so that it won't take much panic to knock the legs out from under it.

It can take only one animal in the herd to spook and the stampede starts.

First off it is a virus which compared to a bacteria is a ping pong ball (virus) compared to Texas stadium (bacteria) and is capable of surviving for up to an hour or more on droplet vectors and the amount of virus on a non visible droplet is in the millions. So yes you certainly can contract this via this route. Further more the estimated projectile speed of sneezed droplets is around 160 MPH. That can do quite a bit in a confined area.

One of the rumors I've heard being propagated is " you can keep it from spreading with hand sanitizer." This advice is given for a multitude of ailments. Unfortunately hand sanitizer used alcohol which dissolves the cellular membrane of bacteria. It does NOTHING to penetrate the protein coat of a virus. You'll be smearing very clean ebola,influenza, rhinovirus all over your hands, that is all.  Soap and water DO help, and it doesn't have to be anti-bacterial. The soap affixes to both virus and bacteria and keeps them from sticking to the surface of your skin. Of course some particles can be missed in the myriad nooks and crannies of our imperfections.. nothing is 100% but hand sanitizer is 0%.

• Like 1

i get to fly next month. I am a sort-of germaphobe as well. it is partly why i live a secluded life.

if i get this crap and it does me in, worry. I generally get sick and dont take meds like ever.

like IS IS, i refuse to alter my life because of this crap.

im getting on a plane and a bus right as this gets ugly.....i aint scared.

if i do get it, ill be isolated in the mohave desert, so dont worry.

ill keep you folks posted how it goes......later

I just got word from an Active Duty friend of mine who just arrived in Monrovia, Liberia. They were briefed not to touch anyone. So, what are they there for exactly?

Target practice on zombies in case of an outbreak. Run for the boarder and get picked off by long distance piper hitters. Of course they would send the Marines. They are rumored to shoot longer distances than most in the Army. And I place an emphasis on most.

gotta admit, i aint scared. maybe a little worried, but afraid? big fat negative on that one mission control.

the other part is, i gotta fly back.

and like i said, im a closet germaphobe. should be an interesting fuckin trip. LOL