Hey Everyone:

I was wondering if you know anything about gas masks and what features to look for in them. I've seen very affordable ones at places like Cheaper Than Dirt or even Amazon in the $20 - $30 range, and you can get extra NATO size filters for them too. I think those are 40 mm filters. 

However, I've also seen gas masks for several hundred dollars at sites like US Cavalry. I don't doubt their effectiveness.

I want to think a surplus German Drager or an Israeli gas mask would be fine with new filters, but I don't know for sure if those are also for biological threats. Which ones are good? Which ones are good enough? I'm curious since I don't see the ones that cost several hundred dollars being handed out to civilians. 

Also, how long do gas mask filters typically last? When do you change a filter?

I'd like to add a gas mask to my stash just in case. This ebola stuff got me thinking I don't have protection for even "regular" things like mustard gas or chlorine. 

Thank you.

From the small amount of research I did a couple of years ago, the Israeli ones are very good.

I ended up buying four decent ones (don't think they are Israeli)  from a seller on Ebay.

They are surplus unused with sealed filters and drinking tubes.

I just wanted to have something on hand without spending a ton of cash on something I'll probably never use.

We have had good results with the non expensive Israeli masks. I think every citizen in that country has one with a spare filter. I tried to sleep once at night wearing it. Did it, but was exhausting. I think the filters have expected usage times instructions with them. Visibility is limited. Prices will vary so shop around. We got ours from Sierra Supply, but I do not know if they are still in business or not. HB of CJ. (old coot)

The German Drager ones are supposedly new old stock Bundeswehr masks. I have been thinking about buying one of those with some new filters. Would think they should do the job, as I am more worried about CS being deployed against us here in the US than nerve agents. 

At least for the time being...011.gif 

GUYS,

NONE, REPEAT, NONE OF THESE "SURPLUS" GAS MASKS, AND THEIR FILTERS ARE TO BE TRUSTED FOR PROTECTION FROM ANYTHING.

THERE IS A REASON THAT THEY HAVE BEEN SURVEYED OR SURPLUSSED OUT OF THEIR RESPECTIVE MILITARIES, AND THAT IS THAT THIS STUFF HAS A FINITE SHELF LIFE, BOTH MASKS AND FILTERS, WHETHER "NEW AND UNUSED/UNISSUED" OR NOT.

CALL THE OUTLETS THAT ARE SELLING THESE THINGS, AND INQUIRE WHAT AGENTS THESE MASKS WILL PROTECT YOU AGAINST; IF THEY'RE HONEST, THEY WILL TELL YOU NONE-ZIP-ZERO-NADA.....

THEY WILL TELL YOU, ONCE AGAIN, IF THEY'RE HONEST, THAT THESE ITEMS ARE JUST MILITARY CURIOS, NOT WARRANTED FOR JACK-SHIT.

WANNA CROSS CHECK, CALL THE NEAREST EMBASSY OF THE COUNTRY OF MFG., BE IT ISRAEL, GERMANY, SWITZERLAND, ETC., AND ASK TO SPEAK WITH THEIR MILITARY ATTACHE; THEY'LL TELL YOU.

I WENT THROUGH THIS BACK IN OCTOBER 1987 AFTER A MASSIVE AEROSOLIZED HYDROFLUORIC ACID SPILL IN TEXAS CITY.

THE "SURPLUS" ISRAELI MASKS WERE AVAILABLE, EVEN BACK THEN, FOR AROUND $10, AND THE "NEW UNUSED AND STILL SEALED" FILTERS, WERE A COUPLE OF DOLLARS OR SO.

THE WORD OR WORDS THAT THESE ADVERTS ALWAYS SEEM TO LEAVE OUT IS "SHELF LIFE EXPIRED", "OUT OF DATE", ETC.

THE CONSTABLES OFFICE I WAS AFFILIATED WITH CONTACTED THE ISRAELI EMBASSY IN D.C., AT MY SUGGESTION, AND THEIR REPLY WAS BASICALLY WHAT I WROTE ABOVE.

THEY STRONGLY SUGGESTED GOING TO A REPUTABLE GAS MASK MANUFACTURER, I BELIEVE MSA WAS RECOMMENDED, AND CHOOSE A MASK AND FILTERS APPROPRIATE FOR WHATEVER THE THREAT SPECTRUM WAS.

I CAN ONLY ECHO THEIR WORDS.........

JESS1344

Edited by JESS1344
  • Like 3

The German draeger is a good mask. Be advised that the drinking tube works only with the right canteen. If it is within your budget, the U.S. M40 is even better. The Russian masks work well. however, vision is a little less. No drink tube. I like them because they cover most of your head. They also still seal for guys like me with a beard. All other masks require baby arse cheeks for a proper seal. Goatees are out as well. Size is really important. I stock a lot of Russian masks because they come in so many different sizes. I have six children. Filter threads are fairly standardized now. except certain older military masks. Like the Swedish masks. although an adapter is available. Any spare filters should be kept sealed. Ebay is a really good source for filters and masks. I also have several M17 masks, spare filters and many parts. These have internal cheek filters that are a real bitch to replace. Not suitable for the novice. I have six or eight israelie masks on hand. They would never be my first choice. We use them for training the children. The draeger is a better choice. My advice. Just like firearms, ammo, medical gear, stock up. Train, test. A proper fitting mask, with a good filter. Can spare you a lot of pain, or even save your life. To test your mask, simply use ammonia inhalants. Do some research on donning and clearing a mask.     

Just about any dead filter will still protect against riot agents.  The filters in basic training M17 masks never got changed and they'd still protect you in the gas chamber.  God knows how many cycles they go before getting changed.

Now for nerve agents ect, yes, you want a good fresh filter.  Filters generally last 6 hours.

• Like 2

We had an MSA with a clear ballistic face shield 20 years ago. Damn, I hated wearing that thing.

As stated earlier, facial hair will prevent a good seal, in most masks.

As long as the filters stay sealed (until use), the fragile diaphragms (for exhaling) are still very flexible, and the mask looks to be in great shape, I would consider it serviceable.

Make sure the filters are for use against biological and chemical agents.

There are some Czech masks on EBay that are basically copies of the M17 (rumored) in the $20 range. The internal filters are said to be a PITA to change.

I haven't quite gotten to the point of making a purchase yet. There are so many other things I would likely need instead.

Edited by Sim_Player