Ok, I was discussing Will Haden and Red Jacket and the fact that the show was cancelled with my buddy. He asked me if he could grind the Red Jacket logo off the side of his AR-15 he had built by them. I told him to buy a different lower. I wasn't sure what items stamped on the lower had to stay. Obviously the serial number but the rest I'm not sure about. I know a few of you have the answer. What do you think guys?

• Like 1

, it's not like will raped the lower.

Or did he?

the only raping that happened on this occasion is Looper's buddy  got raped on the price for that AR. his buddy could have bought any AR15 rifle for half of what he paid for that thing.  

as for grind off the RJ name and logo, that would just put a big divot in the mag well. if he doesn't want the logo on it, then he  can buy a stripped lower for less then 100 bucks, I bought a BUSHMASTER stripper lower for 75 bucks last week at a gun show, then take all the parts off that and put it on the new lower. then he can sell that lower off for what he paid for the new one

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1

the only raping that happened on this occasion is Looper's buddy  got raped on the price for that AR. his buddy could have bought any AR15 rifle for half of what he paid for that thing.  

or, he could have bought 2 ARs for what he paid for that one RJ AR

another thing he can do with that lower, is after he changes it out for another one, he can keep that RJ lower around to remind him never to buy into any  hype and pay twice the price for something that isn't all that special to begin with.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1

met Gaston Glock a long time ago at a match, guy seemed like a seriously rude snobbish complete asshole. didn't get a urge to scratch his name off my pistol, just didn't invite him over for Sunday dinner. I'd tell your buddy to let it go, but he might want to skip having drinks with Will for the time being.

the gun may go up in value now more as a novelty item than based on build quality.

• Like 3

If it bothers him that badly, buy a stripped lower. Take the LPK from the existing lower, and voila..rebadged. Spikes lowers can be had as little as $90 And Anderson forged lowers are currently as low as $40. It might also show him how easy AR's are to build with quality...cheap components, and save him some money in the future. Don't know the lower that is on RJ builds, because I would never consider paying for an AR build, but even if it is billet, quality 7000 series billet lowers can be had for $120 bucks with all the extras.

well, look at it this way. Was a leader in Saiga/Ak builds/workovers. AR's except for quality part assembly and fine tune, many basic gunsmiths can put together an AR. Bad what happened, yet how many weapons were built by REALLY bad people/governments. Our favorite platform that this forum is based on. Example ISIS loves the AK, we all know what these scum do. Ever notice the price and rarity of anything Nazi SS, REALLY bad people, yet people sure grab hem up and collect. So, if this action 'Makes You Feel Better" or show solidarity with the victims, I understand. Many people we believed were good, ended up not being. Did every good action, or workmanship turn to crap after the fact, no. Great uncle has a Nazi dagger and 9mm Luger he liberated off a SS Major he killed. If a SS officer, he was a poster person for evil.

• Like 2

The general population of people weren't all that familiar with the Red Jacket name before it got tainted, and most people won't know what RJ stands for or even make the connection to the scandal if they do. Relatively speaking it's a pretty tight circle, even in the gun world who would give a shit.

I have an 8" gun built by RJF - never was marked, as far as I could tell, and I've looked over the damn thing a dozen times trying to find a mark.

I believe that was one of the issues that led to them surrendering their books to the ATF in the first place prior to the show airing...

• Like 1

I have an 8" gun built by RJF - never was marked, as far as I could tell, and I've looked over the damn thing a dozen times trying to find a mark.

I believe that was one of the issues that led to them surrendering their books to the ATF in the first place prior to the show airing...

What's even more bizarre is that I sent it in for warranty repair, told Will that it wasn't marked - and while it was being fixed, he even refinished the shotgun for free - but it still came back without the badge.

Interesting. Will made me two guns back in the days when they were still down around NOLA and were called Red Stick. This was many years before the soap opera. They are very well made. Neither gun has anything on it other than Saiga and factory markings.

Thanks guys, I think he's going to buy a new lower. I heard he paid a lot for it. I'm not sure how much. It was/is a great rifle. I'm sure you could strip it, fill it, sand it, and put a good finish on it... it would be fine. I told him to sell it to me ...cheap.