Yes, it's a straight cut.  Yes, it came with a crushed mag.  Yes, all the numbers match.  This was a major score for me.  Of course my wife and kids looked at me like an idiot as I danced around the house with it.  My son kept commenting that I looked like a guy that found a T-Rex skeleton. 

• Like 3

I just looked a little closer, and now I'm a little confused. I don't see the axis pin holes or the selector hole on the left side - am I just blind, or are the Chinese stamped guns just set up differently, without holes drilled all the way through?

I just looked a little closer, and now I'm a little confused. I don't see the axis pin holes or the selector hole on the left side - am I just blind, or are the Chinese stamped guns just set up differently, without holes drilled all the way through?

Yeah,I don't see any axis pin holes either. Nice score nonetheless.   

You can't see them because axis pin holes on Chinese guns are slanted slits not round....................................................ok, that's bad. Yes, the holes are there, but my shitty phone camera didn't capture them .

• Like 1

A little more progress last night.

141021 0001

So HOW did you get it for $50?

The owner thought it was a junked out rusty old gun that nobody could possibly want.  Plus, it was sitting between a mint Beretta 92FS and a stainless Colt MK IV which made it look even more like shit.

• Like 2

A little more work last night.  I started the process of stripping the old finish off the wood.  While the stripper was doing it's job, I decided to clean up and re-blue the original screws and other miscellaneous little parts.  Maybe a little overkill, but what the heck.  When I was done with that, I cleaned up the original FCG and re-installed. The Chinese retaining clip was a bit tricky to re-install, but I figured it out (there is an order to the process).  

141022 0001

• Like 1

Mine had a very light wood with no spotting or other issues. I think that was stained or sat in something it wasn't intended to. Go at it with some sandpaper and if it doesnt work, make it into a PG setup. Even after American parts purchase you're still well ahead of the game

Question to those of you with Chinese guns, did your Norinco's have black spots on their stocks?  I've stripped twice and the dark areas remain?  Could they have burned this in?  Do I strip more?

I don't have any Chinese guns, but wanted to suggest that maybe that is oil that has soaked into the wood grain?  Maybe try a little degreaser on a hidden area to see what happens?

If it's not actually part of the wood grain, then either it's stained/oil soaked, or somebody used a wood filler on it.

Thoroughly clean it with mineral spirits and you may pull it out. The spots may have to be bleached.

If you find that it's wood filler, you can dig it out of the wood and either leave the gouges there, or try to raise them with an iron. The method is to wet a cloth, place it over the damaged area, and then apply heat with an iron to steam the spot. Repeat as necessary to lift the damaged area. You then have to clean up the surrounding grain with steel wool.

Personally I would take this as a chance to dump the thumbhole stock and find a nice original Chinese military style stock, or spend the cash to get a new buttstock and pistol grip from Ironwood.

Edited by mancat

Some of the dark areas appear to just be the grain. The overall greenish appearance is either stain or old cosmoline that has soaked into the wood. Stripper will not pull this out of the wood. To check and see if it is oil based do the following:

Take the stock and apply heat to it. Use a hair dryer on the highest setting and hold it close (not on the stock) in the same spot for about a minute or two. If oil has penetrated the wood, it will begin to "sweat" out.

I have refinished dozens of surplus wood sets, and nearly everyone has had the same issues with dark areas, uneven patches, etc. normally it is due to oil or cosmoline.

Typically I strip first, followed by scrubbing with hot water and straight dish washing detergent. Dry, acetone soak for 5-10 minutes. What you will be left with will reveal the difference between the grain and un-natural discolorations. From there it is 60 grit sandpaper until the appearance is uniform. If light discolorations are left, I will bleach, but most of the time the sanding gets everything. Proceed with finer grits finishing with 320 grit. I have been able to get some pretty nasty stocks back to original wood using the process above.

Remember that with anything finishing related, surface prep is the most important step. If it doesn't look good before you apply the final finish, don't expect it to look good afterwards. If you don't want to do it yourself, I will be happy to prep them and/or finish them for you. I am project poor right now, and enjoy the refinishing, so I would do it for free if you pay shipping. Turn around would be about a week from time of receiving. PM me if you are interested, or just want to bounce ideas on what you are seeing after prepping. Good luck and it is looking good.