I tried something I read earlier during my lunch hour. I smeared all the wood with gojo hand cleaner and let it sit in for about 45 minutes. I then washed it all off and I got some good results. It appears that the previous owner may have tried burning into the wood because it's not oil. The wooed is very clean now and actually has some really nice dark grain. Patterns to it. Im going to let it dry over night and tomorrow will begin the stain process. I'm planning on mixing some sedona red into golden oak to make a light orange gold stain. I'll top with super light coat of poly. If I don't like it, then I'll get a standard pistol grip and stock set.

Thank you Spacehog. I will try what you suggested. This has been a really fun and inexpensive project up to now. I'm probably only about $80 into it total. If I can retain the original stock and not spend another dime I will be a happy camper.

• Like 1

I understand. I would want it original too. I can't tell for sure from the photos, but the set looks like walnut under all that grime, similar to some of the early VEPR highly figured walnut. Be sure to post up pics before you stain. I want to see what it looks like cleaned up.